navigator

Exhibitor experiences

OUR Mission-spend £1700 to give satisfying vinyl music for a punter 4 min visit--this seemed unlikely at 6am yawn.

Freefallrobs car sits down low-well loaded but easy drive- this our fifth demo-we remember the lack of a lift ruefully.

9.00am in odd shape syndicate18/19 [whatever!] System sounds c***.

Needle on static vinyl has woofers wobbling like bust of lady sat on top but not so desirable-the earth/hotel vibrated-no filters on our lineup.

More Sorbethane feet installed/interconnects changed to reduce low end. Ok but bass still won't fit room but hey-punters will soak up some! Parked some tables on end as reflectors/ hung fabrics/laid mat/request 6 chairs.

[ only exhibitors may step on the mat at the hallowed turntable altar--others by invitation- James Almighty of course/Marco of Art of S/WW badges and esteemed unbelievers such as Linn founders] Radio Eye reps come /photos.

45 mins later early bird on'hot' seat ears twitching foot tapping.

10am 6 seated-bass slam of 'Tusk' hits them-jaws drop then eyebrows raise as female sweetness comes from up in the sloped ceiling- techies cannot do this!-ohh yes they can!Doubters and curious prowl about looking for clues and subs. Smiles handshakes offered to us 'welldone' and 'how much?.

Then S***!-distortion-needle dirt **~~**shall I lift it??panic. Cool Freefall drops his needle onto Pink Floyd and fades out dirty Fleetwood [we DJed in an earlier existence]

2pm suddenly starving and v thirsty[2 much talk/shout] Picnic and beer-[ta 'ratbike'] Room is crammed continuously.Thumbs ups-nice.

Jazz piano requested with knowing grins [its THE TEST] Michel Caminos lightening fast playing dances over combos riffs.Then amazingly they the punters clapped!!! Even Freefall was impressed!! And I am happy.Yet yet???Something niggled-later. However-----

lots of questions re carts -the speaker brand was guessed by a few not Bush/Polk/Jap/Argos but 1990s JBL1 modded with internal reflector made from massage sponge.Timed baffle/Fast paper cone/ offset titanium sparkler/ minimal xover - deffo not flat spec but balanced for INROOM response by the fab ARKLESS mod of CA640p/and EAR. Musical Enjoyment was had.

The 5PM CLUB is music outside of the punters 4 min slot-Allegri Misere cathedralchoir =heavenly and Manfred Mann1969 druggedup freestyle horn/ guitar/keys 'Chapter '-ahh takes me back!!

That niggle? At home I feel one note lower in the bass-Scalford lost it to resonance-I want it in room in Scalford2014.

Super Wammer

My mission - Most amount of value for £500 :^

07:00 - Wake up, banging headache and cant remember when I went to bed

~07:30 - After a much needed shower, head down for breakfast, lots of tea and hash browns

08:30 - Amble around, had a chat to Greg, Pete dropped off the Eclipse speakers

09:00 - Start playing some music, sounds OK, bass a bit on the heavy side or non existent depending on the listening seat

09:30 - Just about happy, check with Dave that I am not booming him out downstairs

10:30 - First people start to arrive

~Blur - Lots of music....

~13:30 - JP takes over for half an hour so I can wonder round

~Blur - Lots of music....

17:00 - Start to take stuff down.

~Blur - Driving home

08:30 - Get home, unload the electronics and eat leftover pork pie and crash on the sofa!

My mission - to get through the weekend without making a total tit of myself, (I may have failed).

This started actually on the Friday evening with a business dinner at which there was a free bar and an expectation that we get stuck in until 2am entertaining customers. Shot myself in one foot already....

Woke up Saturday morning about 6am, head buzzing with stuff I still had to do, like errr pack up the system and pray it all fitted in the car, all with the hangover from hell. I tried to get back to sleep, God knows I needed it but it wasn't happening so up I get.

Miraculously I dont drop anything whilst boxing up and loading up so I load myself up with caffeine and set off, get to within 1 mile of Scalford Hall.

10 miles later I realise that I am temporarily unsure of my location, ok ok, lost, is that better! :P

Eventually find the place and shift the kit into the room. My plan is to set up from 0900hrs on the Sunday but speaking with Brian Take 5 later that day I see that he has already set his up and is playing music, sounding good. I realise that this is an excellent idea, provided I move things out of the way so the kit is not in danger whilst the bed is being removed and get cracking.

CD first. A moment of panic ensues when I press play and all that comes out of the speakers is an inky black silence. Oh shit.

Then I realise that in my wired and tired state I have plugged the CD player into the Aux sockets on the amp. :doh:

Soon sorted and the turntable swiflty follows but then looking inside the amp....hmmm....what's that blue glow?

Yep, it's the evening before the show, I've got an EL84 power valve glowing blue, which apparently is not good :roll: , and of course I have no spares.

This is where the wonder of the Wam comes in, although I was exhibiting on my own we are never truly alone and James Jazid rides to my rescue with his valve tester and expertise.

The tester is a fantastic piece of kit looking like something from a 1940's mad scientist movie. :^

James handles it like a musician with their instrument, rotating dials, flicking switches and the verdict is.....the valve measures fine despite the blue glow and I therefore decide to bang it back in. Your help was massively appreciated James and sorry for dragging you away from the excellent band.

I need a drink by this stage so I hit the bar and also get a chance to visit some of the systems that are already set up.

Great to meet Rabski, although disappointed that he was in a good mood and not yet ranting. My timing can be rubbish.

Jim JVS's system is a sensual treat for the eyes and ears but I'm starting to flag a bit so head off for bed.

However on the way I realise that the mighty horn system is playing and just HAVE to listen to this.

Get sat down and enjoying it, a couple of tracks later and...I fall asleep momentarily. :oops:

Sorry guys, nothing to do with the system or the music, just completely fallen off the cliff and I call it a day.

I set the alarm for 0800hrs but yet again I'm awake well before, 0500hrs this time, head a maelstrom of thoughts and yet another hangover.

Although it may just have been yesterdays that I re-inforced last night.

A good breakfast and gallons of tea helped the head, but not the bladder, and the room is cleared on my return.

Switch everything on and it's working fine, get the signs on the door, set the chairs out and wait for the first punter.

I'm still feeling dodgy though. Oh well fuck it here we go.

The day was a blur, lots of music, people, questions, interest, fantastic, loved it.

I played 33's at 45 and 45's at 33.

I even played the wrong track at times.

But none of that mattered, probably even added to the fun of it.

5pm came so quickly and loading the car back up was done with a heavy heart and heavy legs.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole shebang but particularly the people, great to be a part of it. :oj:

Good thread actually.

Strangely my experience is somewhat similar to radicals, I wonder why!?

I went to bed at midnight on the Saturday after quickly running off a play list of LP's that hopefully wouldn't offend the vast majority, didn't sleep that well as I was conscious of 'laying in', woke up at 5.45am........:zzzz:

Fed the cats, fish and myself, kissed kids/Mrs freefall goodbye threw stuff in car, drove up the road and realized that one of the kittens had jumped in the car with me (naughty Poppy!), turned around, went back home again.....unloaded Kitten :clout:.......

Got to radicals, had quick cuppa and congratulated Mum on lovely hair style! She made a lovely cuppa though:^

Chucked yet more stuff in car.........car now stuffed full.........

Set off, got to Scalford with out hitch due to radicals amazing memory and sense of direction that he has failed to pass on to me!

Phil kindly helps us unload to 2nd floor, we set the system up, it's terrible:doh::roll::nerves::cs::run:.

4 blocks of sorbothane, a speaker re position, reduce tracking force, move some tables in an attempt to 'square' the room, some throws and a rug, and a change of interconnect(!) (on my side of the set up) and it's starting to work, it warms through, it's singing.

The rest of it is a blur really, but all the visitors where well behaved with no fighting at all, which was a good thing.

The raffle was a good laugh, didn't win nowt though:-(.

It was great meeting up with other members again:^.

Didn't get to the rooms a wanted to yet again.....:doh:

Lost the bloke I was picking speakers stands up off several times, he found me in the end!

Gobbled some food as we went (nice pack up ta Mum:D).

Pack up time, great chap called Simon (ratbike) helped us pack up, then it was time for a pint and back patting at the bar.

Home at 8.15pm, beans on toast, at my place for 9pm ish, bath, bed!

:^

I had a fun day. I had to borrow a car, and I don't have boxes for any of my stuff, so there was a lot of bubble wrapping and taping cardboard round things the night before. Loaded up on my own, picked up my co-pilot and got down to Scalford about 8:45. We were set up inside an hour, and it sounded absolutely bloody awful. We put the put the speakers firing across the room (so much farther apart) and everything fell into place.

Lots of people chatted, lots of people were curious about things, a couple of people had made the journey to see/hear a specific component, and I enjoyed all of that. My selection of music went down very badly, primarily because no one seemed to have the faintest idea what any of it was. I was far happier playing things people had brought themselves.

An unexpected dilemma was what to do when one person wanted to chat to me and the others in the room clearly wanted to listen to the music without the distraction of two blokes shouting over the top of everything! You can't win, I guess.

Maybe on reflection I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't properly demonstrate the strengths of my current setup. I'm sure pretty much everyone feels that, because it's hard setting up in a totally different room, in very little time, but my system excels in microdynamics, subtle textures and the finest fine detail, with great life and dynamics at lower volumes. With the party in full swing all around us, you couldn't hear any of that. One chap wanted to hear some classical music, so I played The Rite of Spring. All we got was just Parallel Lines from next door and unidentifiable bass from upstairs, punctuated by disconnected and terrifyingly loud blasts of horn and violin. :)

I'm not knocking it, not criticizing, not being negative, not for one moment. Please don't crucify me for saying it, or think I want to spoil anyone else's day or tell anyone what to do. I DON'T! I do think though that the previously mooted "quiet zone" might be a good idea.

In a broader sense though, I don't think people do themselves any favours playing loud. Above a certain volume, I think everything starts to sound kind of the same, and generally worse. A couple of the rooms I went in were so loud it was physically uncomfortable, so I left. I wanted to not bludgeon my guests into leaving, I wanted to demonstrate what the stuff sounds like in real life, at normal listening volume in a normal home, but truth is, I couldn't. So maybe that was disappointing, though at the time I didn't mind, I just turned it up a notch or two!

It's a tiring day but it goes oh so quickly. I never got any lunch, never got a coffee, but it didn't matter, I was too busy enjoying the tunes and the company.

Excellent day, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I had a very similar experience to most others I should think. I had real problems getting my back of the bed on Monday morning

Super Wammer
I had a very similar experience to most others I should think. I had real problems getting my back of the bed on Monday morning

Thats why I took Monday off work :zzzz:

My mission - to get there!

I must admit I almost bottled it before the show, thinking 'no-one will want to hear my system', being a little underwhelmed with its performance of late. Then there was the car issue - realising that I'd been hopelessly optimistic thinking I'd get everything in to my Smart car (before you say anything, it's the four-seater not the little one - but even so...). Then along came CarlBKK with an offer of a lift in a van - magic!

Saturday was spent packing, cleaning, choosing LPs and CDs (waayyy too many as it happens), putting a few signs together and a list of the aforesaid music, checking the leads and accessories, rechecking the leads and accessories, having a nervous fag and checking them again.

Carl arrived and after remarking how much of the van his system took up we loaded mine and set off for Scalford on Saturday night. Conversation flowed, a little too much at times as we managed to miss the M6 turnoff and get lost as we ventured out cross country (never trust a Sat Nav set to 'shortest route') but eventually we arrived at about 20 to midnight, as various inebriated Wammers wandered around the reception. After sorting a minor cock-up with rooms (i.e mine was taken), we set about unloading the van. It was at that point I realised just how big Carl's Ushers really were. I thought my Dalis were on the large side but these were like lifting a person. A vey slippery, expensive and fragile person. I know now that disposing of a body is at least a 2 man job.

Anyway, an hour or so later and we're in and it's lights out time. Morning arrives and my plan is to breakfast, set up then freshen up ready for the punters to arrive - but the best laid plans and all, as it turns out my room move the night before was only temporary. So I've got about an hour to move my kit out, set up and sho... oh wait, the shower is full of bed. Ho hum.

Setup goes OK and I put on the first tunes - well there's a turnup, it sounds better here than at home. Much better, in fact. So proper room positioning does make a difference! A little art direction needed as the room felt sterile and bland with the curtains drawn and I wanted a more intimate feel. Lights back out of the cupboard for a bit of mood, and the first of the punters arrive...

So stuff gets plaid, people move in and out (some quickly) and I do my 'boiling frog' routine as someone remarks that it's like a furnace in the room. Better open a window. Also note to self for next year - bring a spanner to disconnect the door shut mechanism, as many people clearly can't grasp the concept of shutting a door gently... Before I know it it's ten past four and I haven't seen a single other room. I sneak out for a quick listen to Carl's system (its bloody good) and before long it's all over. Play a few tracks for my own amusement then start the pack down...

Which was fine. Until we had to move the Ushers back in the van... I think we were both a bit knackered by then, but it went OK (thanks to some gents who helped out) and we arrived back home in Somerset four hours later, tired but happy.

My system is now back in the living room set up properly, having moved the furniture to accommodate it rather than the other way round, and sounding better than ever.

All in all a brill weekend. :^

Super Wammer

Our mission: give exhibiting a try to see if its a good thing, whilst giving show goers the opportunity to hear something they won't have heard at Scalford before - an all active Linn system based purely around streaming - hopefully giving the doubters (Linn and streaming) something to think about.

Planning started months before, thinking through and discussing what we liked about the show when we went last time (e.g. signs on doors, a list of available music to choose from, how rooms are laid out etc.) - mainly thinking about what music to play, how to make it easy to find and deliver, what kit we would need beyond the actual components, when we would travel over etc. etc. Broached the topic with our partners and got the relevant domestic passes to be allowed out to play.

Searched the Wam for ideas, top tips, what to avoid, what not to forget etc. - there's lots in there and now James has consolidated it into one guide, which is very useful. Concerned that show goers wouldn't want to hear a Linn system, but received positive encouragement in the forum. Lots of this done in advance of finding out if we'd even get a room at the show.

Followed all the threads about how to apply for a room etc., found out we were successful then mild concern about if it was a good idea or not. We had a tiny room allocated which wouldn't suit the system so (and this might be considered a mistake!), convinced James to let us have one of the bigger syndicate rooms on the 2nd floor which James had initially left out of his planning - maybe he's had to help others carry their speakers up there before!

About 6 weeks in advance, disconnected the streamer from the network and NAS at home and hooked it up to an independent network along with the laptop and the HDD - had it up and running in about 10 minutes which was a great relief that it would be quite so easy. Took final decision not to even attempt to set up wifi and tablet control of the system, being concerned about wifi interference etc. in a strange environment. KISS principle applied here. Worked on checklist of stuff, finalised playlist (created an album called "Demo Tracks" and copied the relevant tracks in there, then all we needed to do was select tracks from that album or just let it play) and put the data onto the HDD. Arranged with Richard to have spare laptop with software installed and created another copy of the music on a separate HDD as back ups.

2 weeks before we finalised times for travelling, agreed on who was going to fund what, etc. More jitters about if the system was going to sound any good. Worried about insurance for a while, decided it was too complicated and that Richard would sleep in the hotel room and that I would take an airbed and sleeping bag so I could sleep in the exhibiting room.

Friday before the show and all the boxes had to be brought down from the loft and the kit dusted and packed into them. Chose to do this on Friday so that Saturday morning would be free to spend with the kids. Richard arrived about 2pm and we set about packing the car. Crisis! Too much stuff to fit in! We had a couple of receivers to drop off with wammers, so these were the first thing we thought about leaving behind, but it turned out that by unpacking the Isoplats from their box, we were able to wrap them in plastic bags and slot them into various little gaps in the car. With a bit of re-jigging of what went where and some pillows and cushions for packing we managed to squeeze everything in and once the doors were shut then everything was solidly located with no chance of anything flying forward under braking. Kit included laptops, HDDs, equipment rack, Isoplats, cables (with at least one more of each for ethernet, interconnects, power etc.), system, bedding, tools, soldering iron, stuff I'd sold, some CDs to give away, bottles of water, snacks etc. etc.

After a 2.5 hour drive, arrive at Scalford and get a prime spot outside the front door - result! It was easy to get sorted with room keys etc., only we were given the keys to the correct room number but it wasn't the room on the show guide. A quick chat with James and we decided to go with the room that was on the show guide rather than the correct room number to keep it easy for visitors to find us (or avoid us of course!). Keys swapped and unpacking began. That was the real hard work - 2 flights of stairs were hard work. We must have made a good 10 trips up and down, if not more. Its good exercise this exhibiting stuff! Much consumption of water. Took about an hour to unpack boxes and return them to the car, then system build time (top tip - if you value the finish on your system, remove rings and watches before unpacking). Wiring up and testing took another hour but all went very straightforward. We dumped the flipchart and one of the tables on the first floor landing with other such stuff and arranged the room. Then listened to the system and did some basic set up. Then decided the seats were too close to the system so then we re-arranged the room and finalised positioning. Happy enough with the sound - maybe a touch bassy with the bouncy floor and the cardboard end wall.

Knackered.

Time for chilli and beer - rather good Doom Bar real ale and a good natter with other exhibitors around the tables. Chilli OK, but would've liked some pudding! Did a bit more room tidying and put up the playlists and kit lists on the wall, built my bed etc. Then messed about with the Wychwood interconnect and called on our neighbours such as Lodgesound, LencoHeaven and Pluto to see what they were up to and introduce ourselves. All very friendly. Down to the bar just in time to find that the band had just finished - very disappointed to have missed them. Richard off to bed around 11pm, I had another wander around some of the rooms to have a listen (including the insane amount of bass from the monster horny system playing Yello's "Expert") and a chat with a few wammers. Relieved to find that they're all a friendly bunch, somewhat in contrast to online behaviour!

Crash out about 12:30 and listen to monster bass in the distance for about 40 mins when a curfew seemed to be declared. Slept moderately well - still stuff going around in my head about if anyone would actually come to listen to the system, what the reactions would be, what would go wrong etc.

Visitors started arriving about 9:45 and we had 2 or 3 at a time until about 10:15 when the room filled up and pretty much stayed that way until about 4:30pm. Sometimes there wasn't even standing room and folks looked in then moved on as there just wasn't room. Played music pretty much non-stop all day - tried to avoid any silence if possible. Even with playlists on the seats and signs on the wall saying "ask for what you want to hear" you still have to prompt visitors to ask for stuff. We probably played about 50% of tracks that were requested. Hopefully we introduced some little known tracks (e.g. Kiki Dee's live acoustic version of Dont Go Breaking My Heart, Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live, some lesser known Yello tracks, Blues Company (the most played tracks of the day)) and many of these had visitors making notes or taking photos of the monitor we had showing the currently playing track. Richard had a good few hours to visit other rooms, I managed about 90 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed that bit too.

Liked the visitors positive comments, happy to have visitors who smiled, nodded or said thanks on their way out. Disappointed with visitors who can't even be arsed to acknowledge you exist as they leave the room. Even if you think the system sounds rubbish, as a visitor it shouldn't be too much work to say thank you to exhibitors who put in so much time, cash and effort for your benefit (rant over). The day flies by, and I really enjoy such unbroken listening - just don't get the chance to do that at home. We had many re-visits and some folks who stayed in the room for a good length of time. There was much discussion through the day on explaining how the system works - where the data is, how it gets to the streamer, how the active crossovers work with the power amps and speakers etc. etc. - there seemed to be some genuine interest in all that stuff. I think perhaps a diagram on the whiteboard would've been a good idea.

Visitors fade around 4.45 with only a couple of determined re-visits to entertain. Started packing up spot on 5pm and after many more trips up and down 2 flights of stairs, we were ready to go by about 6-15pm, so a very speedy process compared to setting up. Keeping control of the speakers on the way down the stairs was a bit of a challenge. Trip back was a bit quicker at 2 hours 15, so we got to say goodnight to the kids before bedtime.

Observations on exhibiting: if you've ever considered exhibiting but had cold feet, hesitate no longer - get your name on the list as soon as possible for 2014. Its hard work, but if you do good prep it should be a very enjoyable experience. Go Saturday, even if you don't set up until Sunday morning as the atmosphere is excellent and as an exhibitor you get the chance to hear some of the rooms on Saturday night, meaning you at least get to do some visiting, even if you don't get the time on Sunday. Wammers are really friendly people and are not at all the abusive vitiriolic lot they appear to be from the forum. Everyone is happy to chip in. If you want to have a long chat about how a system works, perhaps its best to step out into the corridor for a couple of minutes to avoid disturbing the listeners? Take handouts of your playlist and make sure you encourage your visitors to select some music - make sure that the list is as wide ranging as possible, within the boundaries of your collection. Best if there's at least 2 of you for carrying and to take turns looking after visitors during the day on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

Thankyou sunbeamgls for your superb contribution to thread. Must confess to continued fuddlement on exactly how your sounds came about [diagram idea is good for 2014] but enjoyed it [albeit briefly due to 'duty'] I intend updating to this new technology but have only just accepted cd so aways to go yet.

Super Wammer
Thankyou sunbeamgls for your superb contribution to thread. Must confess to continued fuddlement on exactly how your sounds came about [diagram idea is good for 2014] but enjoyed it [albeit briefly due to 'duty'] I intend updating to this new technology but have only just accepted cd so aways to go yet.

Maybe this helps, this is how it was set up at Scalford:

dsconnectivity.png

Super Wammer

And this is how it is set up at home, with a much easier to use tablet to choose the music from. Note there is no laptop in the system at home:

dsconnectivityathome.png

My mission? Survive the weekend.

Programme: load all into car far too small for all, unload at other end. Set up as well as can be expected in a totally different room.

Find bar. Find other wammers.

Find bar again.

Go and play some music through system that is now trying to cope with room ten times the size it's suited for.

Go back to bar. Wander around rooms for a while.

Go to bar.

Go to wammer food event. Eat too much.

Go back for second helpings.

Go to bar.

Wander around rooms for a short while, then realise it's half one in the morning and the bar is about to shut.

Buy beer.

Accomodate Jack, bringing more beer (lots) and play thrash metal near clipping at 2:00 am.

Wander around rooms again. Meet more wammers with more beer. Enjoy.

Watch Ian Sampson sleeping through the monster horn setup and try to find felt-tip pen to draw cock and balls on forehead. Fail.

Play more music. Accommodate Alfie and self with Comfortably Numb at insane volume at 3:30 am.

Have intense discussion with Pete about the virtues of different tubes.

Go to bed at 4:00 am.

Get up at 7:00 am. Feel fine, mainly due to still being utterly shit-faced.

Go and grab breakfast. One enormous plate with sausages, bacon, beans, hash browns and mushrooms.

Go and meet Steve in our room and try to work out how we're going to fill something the size of the Albert Hall with music.

Play music.

Feel ill.

Go and buy about 76 gallons of water throughout the day and consequently visit the Gents' about 300 times.

After 5:00 pm, cart all the stuff back to the car and fit it in somehow.

Drive home in a state of bewilderment.

Get home. Eat 90% of pork pie with a barrow-load of pickle.

Get stuff out of car and place delicately all over hall.

Go to bed.

A typical wam weekend really.

• Upvote 2

Programme: load all into car far too small for all, unload at other end. Set up as well as can be expected in a totally different room.

Find bar again.

Go and play some music through system that is now trying to cope with room ten times the size it's suited for.

Go to bar.

Go to bar.

Wander around rooms for a short while, then realise it's half one in the morning and the bar is about to shut.

Buy beer.

Accomodate Jack, bringing more beer (lots) and play thrash metal near clipping at 2:00 am.

Watch Ian Sampson sleeping through the monster horn setup and try to find felt-tip pen to draw cock and balls on forehead. Fail.

Play more music. Accommodate Alfie and self with Comfortably Numb at insane volume at 3:30 am.

Go and grab breakfast. One enormous plate with sausages, bacon, beans, hash browns and mushrooms.

Go and meet Steve in our room and try to work out how we're going to fill something the size of the Albert Hall with music.

Play music.

Feel ill.

Go and buy about 76 gallons of water throughout the day and consequently visit the Gents' about 300 times.

Go to bed.

You forgot the bit about being a jolly old boy at some point during the day. :run:

Find bar again.

Go to bar.

Go to bar.

Buy beer.

Play music.

Feel ill.

Go to bed.

Haha, that's spookily close to my experience, except replace the comfortably numb with britpop. :rofl: