Buachaill

Opera & Classical Music at Scalford ?!!??!!

Travelling over from Dublin for the show. Would be interested to hear from exhibitors who consider that their system represents 'best in show' for opera &classical music and who would be willing to so demonstrate. After all, minorities must be catered for! No pressure!

Bring some of your own music, and/or ask people. And stop in on the big horn system, where I will occasionally play some cultured music...

I'm more than happy to play anything and will have 10 or so classical records in my room. Just bring some cds and records to be sure.

Travelling over from Dublin for the show. Would be interested to hear from exhibitors who consider that their system represents 'best in show' for opera &classical music and who would be willing to so demonstrate. After all, minorities must be catered for! No pressure!

Given that most exhibitours were willing to put on a CD of brass band music that someone brought a few years ago, opera and classical will be no issue at all on a personal level!

Good luck with the classical. Apart from a few individuals it tends to be a bit of a room-clearer at Scalford, as it is at the average bake-off.

No problem though if you are into Pink Floyd, cute girl-with-guitar or the half a dozen jazz albums that have been released on 180g vinyl :P

Super Wammer
Good luck with the classical. Apart from a few individuals it tends to be a bit of a room-clearer at Scalford, as it is at the average bake-off.

No problem though if you are into Pink Floyd, cute girl-with-guitar or the half a dozen jazz albums that have been released on 180g vinyl :P

There'll be some classical LP/CDs in my box of music so come along to my (empty) room !

k

How very true!

I'll have all my classical on HD at Scalford, but unless I want an empty room or someone asks, it may not get an airing.

What I have learnt from last year is that if there isn't floods of bass all the time, a lot of people think it's not much cop.

Listen up;

Bass does not equal quality

Quality equals bass when it's on the recording.

(with the usual caveats)

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
..................Listen up;

Bass does not equal quality

Quality equals bass when it's on the recording.

(with the usual caveats)

Well said Karl. My transmission line bass speakers will easily cope with the lowest of organ notes, but on lots of cd's taken from 70's & 80's analogue recordings the bass is 'missing' , and any system thatis cranked up to give bass from these isnt balanced IMHO

Super Wammer

Feel free to pop into my room, would be interesting to hear some classical/opera as its not something I usually listen to. :^

...it tends to be a bit of a room-clearer at Scalford.

Which is great if you want to sit down, listen critically and avoid all the out of time toe tappers.

There were plenty of people who were prepared to play classical stuff last year. I wandered around threateningly with my Alexander Nevsky CD and it got played three times during the day.

Spectacular orchestral/choral music like the Prokofiev surprisingly kept people inside the room - a great test for fine systems also.

:^

Whilst my system is far from 'best in show' (it's decidedly budget tbh) the collection of music I'm taking will consist of at least 50% orchestral/classical - the sense of scale that the tiny 2010i's can push out will hopefully be quite a pleasant surprise to some people. Music will be a fair bit of RVW & Shosty symphonies and also some wind ensemble recordings I've been playing in (then if folk think it doesn't sound right I've got some defence!) :D

And yes there's going to be some brass band stuff - the music contained will be quite a surprise to some people too. It's not all Blackpool prom and oom-pah stuff. ;-)

And yes there's going to be some brass band stuff - the music contained will be quite a surprise to some people too. It's not all Blackpool prom and oom-pah stuff. ;-)

As an ex-brass-bander, please DONT play Nimrod.... it really doesn't work by a brass band, but if you have David of the White Rock I might come in and blub quietly in the corner :cs:

As an ex-brass-bander, please DONT play Nimrod.... it really doesn't work by a brass band, but if you have David of the White Rock I might come in and blub quietly in the corner :cs:

Don't worry Paul - I won't. I'll be more like Cloudcatcher Fells, Contest Music, Elgar Severn Suite etc etc.