rdf

how does it all work?

I've looked through the old threads for something like this, but I haven't found anything. So, please excuse if this is a FAQ.

I've got my room assigned, got my transport arranged, got my kit list in the brochure, dug out my spare fuses, and decided what to put in my sandwiches, but I'm not sure what to do once I arrive on Sunday morning.

My main question, I suppose, is how does the room get set up? It's a hotel room, full of hotel furniture which I don't want to be there, and quite possibly with a paying guest trying to sleep off a hangover. So what time should I aim to arrive? Where do I go to and who do I speak to? Any pro-tips from seasoned exhibitors welcomed. I just don't want to end up will all the gear still in the car at lunchtime.

Go to reception and look for the tall ugly bloke (James) or ask the receptionist for the key to your room.

Where you planning to go on Sat or Sun?

I'm arriving Sunday morning. I've edited my OP.

We've never had people sleeping in the rooms before, but I dare say they will respond well to being told to fuck off out of their room and go eat bacon. The hotel people will make the beds etc disappear by magic.

I would aim to get there by eight or so, to give time to suss stuff out and make sure it sounds ok. You could probably sneak in for breakfast too, they don't check (don't let James see this). But in the past some have not even started to set up by ten, and it's been fine.

Bring too many cables and mains blocks, others will be appreciative. And lots of music. And cash, cash points are elusive around there.

I'm arriving Sunday morning. I've edited my OP.

Find out who is sleeping in your room and incentivize them to vacate as early as possible. The hotel staff will remove beds and stuff. Stay very calm during all this. It will get sorted, and organisers will have a million things to do at once.

Looking at where your room is it will be easiest to take your stuff in through the fire exit at the end of the corridor.

Take a mains extension.

When you get there scrounge some chairs for people to sit on. Hotel staff will help with this.

Dump yer boxes and personal stuff in the bathroom. Don't let anybody use it as it will smell quite bad.

Remember to laugh at the twat that tells you your system sounds broken.

Take favourite music and enjoy yourself.

:pop: This is a useful thread. I've Repped the OP.

I set up on the Sunday morning the first year I went. Depending on the complexity of your system it can be a busy hour or two. As others have said, the first thing you'll need is the key to your room. If your sleeper has already quit then reception will have it. Otherwise you'll need to find him and it. If he's in the room then it's easy. If he's in breakfast then you could try going down to the dining room and yelling out for it (breakfast is well-behaved but not posh, and everyone there will be Wammers and will understand). If he's not in breakfast then he may be sleeping off the night before's drinking just about anywhere. In that case I'd ask reception if they could spare someone to come with you and let you into what's now 'your' room with a master key. You never know ...

Then it's just a matter of getting furniture shifted, opening boxes, extracting kit, plonking it down and wiring it up. If you need help shifting stuff from the car to the room you could again try yelling in the dining room or struggling noisily past the loafers hanging about in reception, muttering the while about your bad back. Even without this people volunteered to help me. There's quite a lot of goodwill about. Do be careful who you let carry your super-fragile deck though, if you have one. Try to avoid recruiting anyone who is still drunk or, indeed, still drinking. If you're sufficiently worried about it then it might be worth trying a dry-run setup, say in a bedroom at home, the weekend before.

VB

I set up on the Sunday morning the first year I went. Depending on the complexity of your system it can be a busy hour or two. As others have said, the first thing you'll need is the key to your room. If your sleeper has already quit then reception will have it. Otherwise you'll need to find him and it. If he's in the room then it's easy. If he's in breakfast then you could try going down to the dining room and yelling out for it (breakfast is well-behaved but not posh, and everyone there will be Wammers and will understand). If he's not in breakfast then he may be sleeping off the night before's drinking just about anywhere. In that case I'd ask reception if they could spare someone to come with you and let you into what's now 'your' room with a master key. You never know ...

Then it's just a matter of getting furniture shifted, opening boxes, extracting kit, plonking it down and wiring it up. If you need help shifting stuff from the car to the room you could again try yelling in the dining room or struggling noisily past the loafers hanging about in reception, muttering the while about your bad back. Even without this people volunteered to help me. There's quite a lot of goodwill about. Do be careful who you let carry your super-fragile deck though, if you have one. Try to avoid recruiting anyone who is still drunk or, indeed, still drinking. If you're sufficiently worried about it then it might be worth trying a dry-run setup, say in a bedroom at home, the weekend before.

VB

Bloody hell, that sounds a bit of a nightmare! I think I'll just turn up at 8am with me kit and hope for the best :D

Bloody hell, that sounds a bit of a nightmare! I think I'll just turn up at 8am with me kit and hope for the best :D

This is a good plan. It'll sort itself out.

every bugger else does, it seems to work

Actually no. There is a lot of activity and inevitably some last-minute improvisation. And a good deal of 'can do'. It does work though :^. Just be prepared to put in the effort.

VB

Super Wammer
I've looked through the old threads for something like this, but I haven't found anything. So, please excuse if this is a FAQ.

I've got my room assigned, got my transport arranged, got my kit list in the brochure, dug out my spare fuses, and decided what to put in my sandwiches, but I'm not sure what to do once I arrive on Sunday morning.

My main question, I suppose, is how does the room get set up? It's a hotel room, full of hotel furniture which I don't want to be there, and quite possibly with a paying guest trying to sleep off a hangover. So what time should I aim to arrive? Where do I go to and who do I speak to? Any pro-tips from seasoned exhibitors welcomed. I just don't want to end up will all the gear still in the car at lunchtime.

Greg / Robert, if you need a hand on Sunday morning, give us a shout :^ I will be set up on Saturday so will be roaming around Sunday morning after a couple of cups of tea :^

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm sure it'll all work out. I just hope I can do all this lovely gear justice.

Greg / Robert, if you need a hand on Sunday morning, give us a shout :^ I will be set up on Saturday so will be roaming around Sunday morning after a couple of cups of tea :^

Cheers Rob :^

I think I'll just turn up at 8am with me kit and hope for the best :D

You'll be absolutely fine - it's what I've done for the last 3 years and not had a single problem. This year I'm stopping over sat night so will probably still be pissed on sun morning. I reckon it's going to be harder work than previous 3 years.