AmDismal

Next year, Audio Jumble?

Given what a pain it is to get to Tonbridge it is, even for some who live in the South East, why don't we use a couple of the large and difficult rooms (Somerby, Quorn, say) for an Audio Jumble type affair? Hire out some tables, lots of hifi nutters guaranteed to come anyway, should be popular at £50-100 a table, I'd've thought?

Super Wammer
:^

:^

Though there is barely enough time to get around all the rooms as is, I like the idea though.

Interesting project. I foresee lots of rules re selection of 'dealers'.And supervision. But certain to be popular with punters.

Interesting project. I foresee lots of rules re selection of 'dealers'.And supervision.

So do I, who do the posters in favour think should do all the work to organise it and run it?

I'm going to throw a wet blanket at this I'm afraid. Scalford is a great idea and Audiojumble is a great idea. But they are two very different ideas. With set-up and strip-down each one takes a day. If you make that the same day then attendees will do one or the other properly or will make a half-baked job of both of them. As freefallrob says, it's hard to do just Scalford in a day. And as far as jumble sales go, the nature of all of them is that you need to be there early, because that's when the bargains are to be had, and also later, because that's when the sellers are prepared to start dropping their prices. And a jumble sale is only worth the effort if it's large enough that you're likely to find something interesting (if you want proof that small events are tough look at the work that Henry has to put in to keep the Leatherhead sale afloat). If it was really small, say just a couple of rooms, then it might be workable. But then it wouldn't be anything like Audiojumble. It wouldn't attract punters who weren't going to come anyway and it wouldn't attract sellers who want to spread their wares in front of hundreds and hundreds of buyers, which is what I'm guessing Audiojumble gets.

Never mind the UK, people travel to Audiojumble all the way from continental Europe. And I'll be getting out of bed before 05:00 tomorrow so I can get there in time for the start. I'm sharing a stall in the corner of the main hall, as far as you can get from the stallholders' entrance, on the end of the central island (not against the wall). Stop by and say hi if you fancy - blue jumper, black jeans, bald head, bags under eyes from early start, :^ .

VB

Im against it.

I remember just after last years show, when there was lots of "lets do this" and "lets do that".

The general feeling was against change.

Why do we need to change the formula. It works as it is. The "ethos" was and hopefully is about a bunch of amateurs getting together to let others hear their systems.

Is bigger going to be better?

Is it about making it more commercial and making more money? I hope not.

aside from being somewhat against what the wam show is about, the logistics would make it a non starter. Parking at Scalford is problematic enough, without adding the cars of a few hundred extra turning up for a jumble sale. There would not be parking space, or space for the bodies within the hotel.

I think focus is the key. Focus on what we do, I don't think a one day show gives enough time to do the systems and AudioJumble.

I agree with the naysayers.

Mainly, because there isn't enough room. To work properly, an audio jumble needs a lot of space and a lot of exhibitors. It's an event in its own right.

If we really want to expand Scalford (and I'm not sure we can, bearing in mind how rammed most of the rooms were last years) then I'd suggest adding some more record and accessory sellers.

aside from being somewhat against what the wam show is about, the logistics would make it a non starter. Parking at Scalford is problematic enough, without adding the cars of a few hundred extra turning up for a jumble sale. There would not be parking space, or space for the bodies within the hotel.

Good post. No way could the facility cope with more traffic.

Super Wammer
I think focus is the key. Focus on what we do, I don't think a one day show gives enough time to do the systems and AudioJumble.

+ 1. There would be a serious issue with space, both parking and room, and my feeling is that it would be detrimental to the Show. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle !

Rabski's suggestion about more accessories/record dealers is more appropriate, if the Show is to develop. The Show occupies a niche and is successful because of that, I think.

My six penn'orth for what it's worth.

k