browellm

How to make Somerby room 'work'

This is the same room as I had a couple of years ago. The main problem is the room's sheer volume - it's fucking massive.

When I put the AGs in there in 2011 I had them firing down the room and it didn't really cross my mind to do what the chap with the ATCs did last year and have them on the long wall at the far end, firing across. I did pop in, but I'm not an ATC fan so didn't hang around for too long (Pink Floyd was on as well, which aborted my stay).

So, my question is how well did that configuration work, and what would be your way of getting the most out of that room?

tumblr_m9jvksNumv1qzz332o1_500.jpg

;-)

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1316595744_clarkson-power.jpg

Mark

I had Somerby for the first 2 shows - firing down the room was fine as far as I was concerned. Plenty of punters thought it sounded decent enough.

You need to crank the volume a bit to fill the room, something I was more than comfortable in doing - are you worried about cranking it up a bit or were you just not that happy with the sound you achieved last time round ?

I did'nt get up there last year - were the ATC's firing across the room at the windows ?

Now that you're a vinylista you should be more worried about Coco bounding into the room and your stylus bouncing across your prized vinyl.

Mark

I had Somerby for the first 2 shows - firing down the room was fine as far as I was concerned. Plenty of punters thought it sounded decent enough.

You need to crank the volume a bit to fill the room, something I was more than comfortable in doing - are you worried about cranking it up a bit or were you just not that happy with the sound you achieved last time round ?

I did'nt get up there last year - were the ATC's firing across the room at the windows ?

Now that you're a vinylista you should be more worried about Coco bounding into the room and your stylus bouncing across your prized vinyl.

I got quite a few m'eh comments in there. Whether it was the room, or people didn't like the kit, music, whatever, I don't know.

Yes, he had them firing at the windows.

Assuming you are rocking up on Saturday, then expeimentation is the answer.

Try all sorts of different layouts.

Me. I'd be tempted to ignore half the room and setup with the AGs in the bay window and firing into the short side, so to speak.

YMMV.

Assuming you are rocking up on Saturday, then expeimentation is the answer.

Try all sorts of different layouts.

Me. I'd be tempted to ignore half the room and setup with the AGs in the bay window and firing into the short side, so to speak.

YMMV.

That's what I was thinking. Just don't use all the room. Maybe see if the hotel has anything to divide the room up a bit.

That's what I was thinking. Just don't use all the room. Maybe see if the hotel has anything to divide the room up a bit.

I could have laid on the floor, dribbling gently and at times throwing up into a bucket. Unfortunately I'm exhibiting this year, so my services as a room divider are not available. Possibly there are some alternative non-exhibiting piss artists who could offer their services.

Or get some acoustic panels off someone. Similar effect, but they probably won't leave quite so many unpleasant stains.

Mains cables could be the answer.

The more expensive.... the better :whistle:

Might be worth asking Scalford if they can upgrade the gripper rods.

I could have laid on the floor, dribbling gently and at times throwing up into a bucket. Unfortunately I'm exhibiting this year, so my services as a room divider are not available. Possibly there are some alternative non-exhibiting piss artists who could offer their services.

Or get some acoustic panels off someone. Similar effect, but they probably won't leave quite so many unpleasant stains.

I'll stand by the door and tell them fooists to the left and non-fooists to the right.

If you put some sort of boundary up and put the seats not too far away it'll probably make the best of it.

Anyway.........the room'll be fine.

Just stay well clear of pissed off Staffys this year :^

I apologise for the Pink Floyd. The operative responsible has been sent out into the wind with a revolver.

Across the room gave more than enough space between the speakers and from the speakers to the listeners. It also removes side walls from the equation. This is also why into the window, which is a wider area. We had the curtains closed and a screen and some secret room treatment behind.

The unforeseen problem was a very unpleasant room mode in the other half of the room. The hope was that people would sit in the comfy chairs with a cup of coffee and browse the ancient NMEs I'd found in my parent's loft but it wasn't a pleasant place to be.

The sound in the listening area, OTOH, was awesome, and the system was never flat out.

Paul