peteAllen

Mendelssohn Violin Concerto

Absolutely.

Interesting that you don't rate the Perlman. I don't have his Mendelssohn, but as I've posted here before, I think his version of the Elgar violin is about the best classical recoding I've got. Just pure emotion.

Anyway, whichever version, enjoy.

I have the Perlman Elgar, and rate it very highly. He misses the middle (for want of a better term) of the Mendelssohn for me. He is one of my favourite violinists overall, and have many recordings of him.

:^

I should have said at the start, the Perlman/Haitink/Concertbebouw is the recording I'd been listening to up to now and want to better. It is excellent, Perlman is wonderful technically and expressively but for some reason I am a bit tired of it. Is it a little sickly or over emotional/indulgent? Not quite sure exactly.

Just discovered some other versions hiding in my boxsets:

- Szeryng/Dorati/LSO (Mercury Living Presence boxset): sweetly and elegantly played, and with passion, plus the orchestral part is top notch (the peerless LSO of course!). Not as dazzling as Heifitz though, but on balance I prefer this version at the moment. Never heard of Szeryng before, why not?!

- Menuhin/Furtwaengler/Lucerne (EMI Furtwaengler boxset): wow, this has real gusto, Furtwaengler is a total genius, I am in awe of him. I was surprised however by Menuhin's playing, which although very beautiful in tone and colour, does not get out of the way of the music for me - I am made aware of him changing positions, bowing etc which should be totally transparent as it was with the others. Of course it is his style to play it in this affected style, using subtle portmanteau. His phrasing is almost the antithesis of Heifitz's: Menuhin lingers; Heifitz shimmers. Not my cuppa tea.

So, in summary, I'm looking for a recording with the LSO, Furtwaengler conducting, and Heifitz in a relaxed mood. Hmm.

As before, all personal taste.

I never find Perlman sickly, quite the opposite. Sometimes, I find his playing almost too raw, but that's the joy of music. We all have our own feelings and responses to it. The joy of the Wam in this regard is the ability to tap into other people's knowledge of music. Though I have been listening to classical stuff for 50 odd years, I have only recently started to really appreciate the differences between performers, conductors and others. It's a minefield, but a wonderful one to walk through. The downside is that I could really do with a bigger house now, as there is no room for all the CDs and LPs...

Interesting. Could you explain please? I can't imagine what you mean

I find his playing does not get to the soul of the music - it is detached, impressive yet keeps its distance to my ears.

By contrast, again for me, the Milstein and Grumiaux performances are far more involving.

All opinion, of course. Music is the ultimate means of communication, so it is not surprising that we all differ in how we respond to it.

Just discovered some other versions hiding in my boxsets:

- Szeryng/Dorati/LSO (Mercury Living Presence boxset): sweetly and elegantly played, and with passion, plus the orchestral part is top notch (the peerless LSO of course!). Not as dazzling as Heifitz though, but on balance I prefer this version at the moment. Never heard of Szeryng before, why not?!

Henryk Szeryng, my favourite violinist

A Polish Jew that became a Mexican citizen and ambassador.

Played with Rubenstein

Check out his Bach, you hear the "music" rather than the musician

Brilliant

Szeryng is indeed very fine indeed. Can't argue with that at all - and I'm ashamed to say that I have the Living Presence box set, and haven't listened to this performance. Will do so in the next few days.

I have the Heifetz on Living Stereo SACD and was listening this very afternoon - very nice. :D

Listened to the Maxim Vengerov recording on itunes and really impressed, it could be the perfect version for me, it's just hard to tell without an extended listen: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/bruch-mendelssohn-violin-concertos/id140465675

Vengerov version is excellent. Very smooth, dazzling, emotive. Is it better than the one by Szeryng? Not sure, I think they're both great. I've also listened to the Heifetz recording again a couple of times, but still not really used to his acceleration during phrases - doesn't seem relaxed to me.

Vengerov version is excellent. Very smooth, dazzling, emotive. Is it better than the one by Szeryng? Not sure, I think they're both great. I've also listened to the Heifetz recording again a couple of times, but still not really used to his acceleration during phrases - doesn't seem relaxed to me.

It's more that they are different, and there is room for more than one type of performance of such a great piece as this.

I have, for example, about ten versions of the Faure Requiem, and wouldn't be without any of them!

Vengarov is a great technician, and a passionate dramatic player. Szeryng is hugely musical, assured and oozing experience. For me Heifitz is simply beyond a normal human, but I was brought up listening to his playing, in a time when it was pretty well accepted that he was the best in the world back then by some margin. We all react differently to each type of performance. It is one of the things which sets classical music apart from more modern genres - because we often do not have recordings of the original composer performing the music, there is more scope for individual interpretation. Nobody I know would describe the Vengarov, Szeryng and Heifitz Mendelssohn performances as 'covers' - but essentially that is what they are!