peteAllen

Mendelssohn Violin Concerto

The ultimate recording please? Anyone heard the Ibragimova version?

Perlman/Haitink/Concertbebouw is the recording I'd been listening to up to now and want to better. It is excellent, Perlman is wonderful technically and expressively but for some reason I am a bit tired of it. Is it a little sickly or over emotional/indulgent? Not quite sure exactly.

No but it is a gorgeous piece of music.

Guest Fergie

No, but you can hear one and a half minute samples at the iTunes store.

Jascha Heifitz is my favourite by quite some distance, and once you have heard his phrasing of those long melodies perhaps you will agree, but there are many other very fine versions. I must admit I tend to stay with vintage performances - Nathan Milstein, Yehudi Menuhin, Kyung Wha Chung, Artur Grumiaux are all wonderful, particularly on vinyl.

There will be others who can recommend more modern recordings.

:^

PS other versions to try

Anne Sophie Mutter (should have mentioned her above)

Maxim Vengarov (Very impressive technically - spectacular player)

Nicola Benedetti (certainly well-played, but perhaps lacking depth)

Viktoria Mullova (another very accomplished performance technically)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mendelssohn-Violin-Concerto-Tchaikovsky/dp/B00000E3EI/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1358719869&sr=8-30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Mendelssohn-Violin-Concertos/dp/B001I1TEY8/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1358719937&sr=8-31

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mendelssohn-Bruch-Concertos-Anne-Sophie-Mutter/dp/B000056TKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358719997&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruch-Mendelssohn-Violin-Concertos/dp/B001F2RN3Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358720019&sr=8-3

THIS ONE WOULD BE MY TOP RECOMMENDATION -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Violin-Concerto-Mendelssohn/dp/B0002TKFR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358720083&sr=8-2

For me AVOID Nigel Kennedy, Midori, Perlman.

Thanks! Listening to the Heifetz one now....wonderful! Think it was the kennedy one i'd heard previously (sco?)

Tangent, but what frequency in hz are those high notes?? :)

Some of the very high harmonics are certainly up in the upper midrange - 3khz I would guess. It wouldn't be that difficult to work it out if I had the score, since you can take A above middle C as 440hz as a general guide.

Having just had a look at the score online - the highest written note in the violin part is 'super E', which at concert pitch is approximately 2637hz - or 2.637khz, so my guess above wasn't too far out.

Remember also that we are only talking about fundamental note frequency here - there will be a huge amount of first harmonic in high violin notes i.e 5.274khz in this case - well into tweeter territory!

Hmm, the Heifitz recording is included in this £75 60 cd collection: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009J3K4MI

And it is really excellent as a set also. There are quite a few Wammers who have invested in it.

I have a copy on vinyl that I will sell if the OP is interested.

Soloist is Y. Menuhin, with LSO conducted by Rafael De Burgos.

Label is EMI/HMV : ASD 2809

It has both the D and E Concertos on it.

Both sleeve and vinyl are unmarked.

I dont want to post, but am going to Scalford if it can be collected.

Cost is £2

I just listened to the Heifitz recording. Breath-taking. A sheer technical tour de force. But... as I listened, something started to jar... his phrasing is beautiful but a little slippery with timing, it sounds a bit rushed, as if he is a ferrari driving through a town with lots of traffic lights. I'd prefer it a little more measured and relaxing! Maybe I'll get used to his style, we'll see... Thanks for the suggestion anyway John!

I just listened to the Heifitz recording. Breath-taking. A sheer technical tour de force. But... as I listened, something started to jar... his phrasing is beautiful but a little slippery with timing, it sounds a bit rushed, as if he is a ferrari driving through a town with lots of traffic lights. I'd prefer it a little more measured and relaxing! Maybe I'll get used to his style, we'll see... Thanks for the suggestion anyway John!

It's all very much a personal thing Pete - all the performances that have been mentioned in the thread are at least very good if not excellent, even the ones which I said weren't as good as the rest!

The important thing is that you are listening and enjoying - that's what it is all about.

It's all very much a personal thing

Absolutely.

Interesting that you don't rate the Perlman. I don't have his Mendelssohn, but as I've posted here before, I think his version of the Elgar violin is about the best classical recoding I've got. Just pure emotion.

Anyway, whichever version, enjoy.

It's all very much a personal thing Pete - all the performances that have been mentioned in the thread are at least very good if not excellent, even the ones which I said weren't as good as the rest!

The important thing is that you are listening and enjoying - that's what it is all about.

Yes indeed. And with 59 more cds in that Living Stereo boxset, I'm going to be listening for a very long time! Right now I'm really enjoying cd 2, Saint-Saens #3 & Debussy La Mer with Munch/Boston SO.