Pierre The Bear

Food. Anything you want to know just ask.

Super Wammer

If I was to put a pork shoulder in a slow cooker, as I did yesterday for 8 hours, would it be possible to leave it all through the night also? I found it wasn't brised all the way through and it did cross my mind to leave it until today on top of the 8 hours it already had.

Also what would u recommend John or anyone else as vegetables to add while braising, I used leek, onion, carrots and a bit of potato, although I have done this many times I think too many carrots ruins the gravy for me.

Cheers

If I was to put a pork shoulder in a slow cooker, as I did yesterday for 8 hours, would it be possible to leave it all through the night also? I found it wasn't brised all the way through and it did cross my mind to leave it until today on top of the 8 hours it already had.

Also what would u recommend John or anyone else as vegetables to add while braising, I used leek, onion, carrots and a bit of potato, although I have done this many times I think too many carrots ruins the gravy for me.

Cheers

Hi Danny, sure you can. As long as you want really just as long as the temp remains above 70 deg c then your fine. I'm supprised 8 hours wasn't enough.

It looked fantastic mate by the way. Let me know next time you do one and what time you want us round.

Let me think about the veg,

John.

Super Wammer
Hi Danny, sure you can. As long as you want really just as long as the temp remains above 70 deg c then your fine. I'm supprised 8 hours wasn't enough.

It looked fantastic mate by the way. Let me know next time you do one and what time you want us round.

Let me think about the veg,

John.

Cheers John, thinking about it I don't think there was enough fat and since throughout to break down, it's was pretty much solid meat in the centre, if u wanted braise some pork and have it come out all lovely and gelatinous and falling to piece, what cut would u go for? Also for beef, I like the way it falls apart in can of stewed steak, would this be a brisket?

I have a bit more time on my hands at the moment so would like to learn how to get the best out of good chunks of meat, I prefer a nice hearty meal rather than a pink bit of lamb itch a crust :)

thanks also Pelagic, I shall throw in some clery next time.

Super Wammer
Toad in the hole advice please. Friends round mid day onwards and I would like to impress with lovely light battery goodness.

How. The. Hell. Do. You. Do. It?

i always fry the sausages quickly to brown them first, soggy sausages are never good and it gets rid of a bit of the fat, then dry them with kitchen roll.

i'll put a little bit of oil in the bottom of a pan, pop it in the oven for 10 minutes until red hot, wipe it up the walls of the dish also so the whole thing doesn't stick when cooked.

Then pour in the mix pop in the sausages and ur away.

Super Wammer
Hi John, great thread.

Do you have any tips or a recipe for making a good spaghetti bolognese? Mine never seem to come out quite right.

Thanks.

I do cheat a bit by using a good bolognese sauce but relly caramelise a heap of onions before hand, then the trick is to use half pork and half beef mince or a 500g beef and 250g pork, upto u, it gives way more flavour, add to the onions, brown off and add a beef stock cube at the same time crumbled over the mince, then add the sauce and a extra bit of water because u want to cook it all for a good few hours on a gentle simmer and the access water will steam off, this stops the sauce going over thick and gloopy. I will use two normal size jars for a total of 750g of mince and another half a jar of water, I usually simmer it for a good 3 hours tho.

For the last trick, just after u have added the sauce grate in one normal sized carrot, it really adds to the flavour :)

Pasta wise I like Tagliatelli.

Guest purplepleaser

Hi John, thanks for the pointer to the knife thread. Doh!

Guest purplepleaser

Good spaghetti bolognese is reasonable easy to do and no shop bought sauce come close.

Throw some red and sweet peppers, red onions and garlic, some thyme, parsley,oregano decent olive oil and balsamic vinegar salt and black pepper in a baking tray and roast of 30 minutes or so. Fry some decent mince and a few bacon lardons and red wine then blitz the roasted veg add some decent chopped tomatoes add to the mince and then simmer for a bit. Pasta of choice.

I do cheat a bit by using a good bolognese sauce but relly caramelise a heap of onions before hand, then the trick is to use half pork and half beef mince or a 500g beef and 250g pork, upto u, it gives way more flavour, add to the onions, brown off and add a beef stock cube at the same time crumbled over the mince, then add the sauce and a extra bit of water because u want to cook it all for a good few hours on a gentle simmer and the access water will steam off, this stops the sauce going over thick and gloopy. I will use two normal size jars for a total of 750g of mince and another half a jar of water, I usually simmer it for a good 3 hours tho.

For the last trick, just after u have added the sauce grate in one normal sized carrot, it really adds to the flavour :)

Pasta wise I like Tagliatelli.

Good spaghetti bolognese is reasonable easy to do and no shop bought sauce come close.

Throw some red and sweet peppers, red onions and garlic, some thyme, parsley,oregano decent olive oil and balsamic vinegar salt and black pepper in a baking tray and roast of 30 minutes or so. Fry some decent mince and a few bacon lardons and red wine then blitz the roasted veg add some decent chopped tomatoes add to the mince and then simmer for a bit. Pasta of choice.

Thanks guys! I'll give those a go.:^

Both very different from the way I've been doing it.

My wife's vegetarian. How can I 'cure' her?

.............bacon butty, with a bit of brown sauce. Failing that, try liver and onions........

Super Wammer

Put some real good quality sausages in a Linda Mcartney box and pop them back in the freezer :^