hifinutt

puresound L10

20 posts in this topic

Super Wammer

P1010062-1.jpg

having had at least 7 pre amps in the past 13 months including the bel canto pre 3vbs, vtl 5.5, tom evans vibe pulse twice, arc research ref5, mfa baby ref and most recently the mighty arc ref 5se .

the latter was the most beautiful pre i have ever heard in my life and has that incredible ability to make you think you are in a live performance. its is unsurpassed and i had the se version for about 7months and 100 hours a month

sadly it had to go to pay for a house but i am sure it will be back soon

in the meantime i have the mighty puresound L10 at about one fifth of the cost of the arc .

it fits nicely on the rack and only gets a bit warm, it has a beautifully smooth volume control knob but has a remote if you need

soundstage is not as wide as the mfa baby or the arc but it paints a very big full coloured painting in front of your eyes and the huge martin logans summit x fill up with deeply balanced sound from top to bottom . it nicely matches the ever reliable and powerful belles mb200 monoblocks [ss]

playing monty alexander , he fills the room in a very natural and ennjoyable way . the one word that describes this amp is balanced, there is no flabby bass , no over emphasis on treble or midrange just balanced natural non fatiguing sound

its good with every genre especially electronic where the shimmering sound is very enjoyable and guitar has a real attack . john 5 never sounded so good !

vocals especially male vocals like bryn terfel or barry white are deep , real and gravelly .

playing david gilmour `on an island` the soundstage is really good and very captivating . i am not too good at describing hi fi with hi fi terms , all i know is if an amp keeps me up at night not wanting to go to bed and this one certainly does that !

likes and dislikes

the iec aftermarket cords were a bit loose in the iec socket but a bit of insulating tape aided fit and seemed to benefit from a really meaty furukawa power cable

likes , its a very simple to use amp with no hiss

highly recommended pre and i can understand why they sell so fast second hand

That is an nice short review :^ and awesome lineup of 7 Pre-amplifiers you have owned in a span of 13 months ? Crazy to hear that too.:nup:

A piece of kit I really regret selling, I think it is really good value for money and one of those components that just disappears in your system and just does its job very well.

Super Mod
Nice write up :)

Out of interest, how much are these new, and do they have balanced outs?

Lefty

£2500 and no.

Super Wammer
That is an nice short review :^ and awesome lineup of 7 Pre-amplifiers you have owned in a span of 13 months ? Crazy to hear that too.:nup:

yes not entirely my choice but circumstances conspired that way but it has been enlighting to try so many , i think duvet did a similar thing on his quest and arrived at a modwright .

I got one a while back - No plans to change it.

Super Wammer

just put a isotek syncro on the sigmas that this is plugged into and quite a lift in performance , getting really near that spooky sense of realism i love and try to recreate

Super Wammer

Interesting review. Alas I went down the integrated amp route, so no preamp box-swapping (a good thing for my wallet!).

A bit off-topic but.. I see you're still using black ravioli, but which stand / platform / legs are those?

Super Wammer

yes hi fi racks stuff with black legs and yes the br is very useful stuff

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/hi-fi-racks/2/podium-reference

Super Wammer
yes hi fi racks stuff with black legs and yes the br is very useful stuff

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/hi-fi-racks/2/podium-reference

But what are those metal sandwichy discs between the rack shelf and the wooden platform? The hifi racks come with spikes I think

Super Wammer

Love mine. Easily bettered an Audio Note M3 in my system. Not too much gain (just 5db) which is a major issue with lots of active preamps. 'Puresound' really captures the approach, it's a wonderfully neutral but lively sound.

My only criticism is that the motor on the remote volume control is a bit fierce and it's hard to get just the right level without getting out of the chair (though this may have been addressed in later production, mine is an early one).