griffo104

Wammers Album Club Tues 25th Dec & Tues 1st Jan - The Argument - Fugazi.

Plus hard to keep track of the days. What day is it? What week is it?

Anyway, I found this very good if not quite as memorable as their genuine classics, such as 'Repeater'. But it's still top quality, intelligent, melodic alternative rock/hardcore.

Some tremendous moments, such as the closing of 'Epic Problem' or the spacey 'The Kill'. Admittedly, I am biased cos I rate this sort of (mostly American) melodic hardcore/post-punk as a real golden era of music.

Guest MJ.

A big :^ from me. I really enjoyed this.

For the first couple of tracks I thought that the vocals were a bit quiet / even recessed in the mix but by track 5 (my favourite) my ear was in and all was well.

Enough of interest / difference track to track to make this an enjoyable listen. Well recorded and produced, sort of watered down west coast rock / punk with an intelligent build up of pace / melody / complexity in each track.

Went on to listen to Repeater and preferred this :)

Thanks Griffo for an enjoyable listen and for putting another band on my radar.

I had a listen to Repeater on Spotify. A while since I last listened to it. As fantastic as its always been. A real masterpiece of US alternative rock, up there with the best of the likes of Husker Du, Minutemen, etc. Reminds me of days spent browsing the Virgin Megastore, Tower in Piccadilly, Rough Trade, Hanway Street...

Also very good was Guy Picciotto's previous band Rites of Spring – Rites of Spring

Repeater is quite possibly my most played album and is classic of the genre as notty stated. I chose this album over that one as it shows more depth an complexity and may well be the last fugazi album

Glad most have given this a try. As a place to go next check ou mackaye's latest offering with his other half the evens - punk with both anger and subtlety

This album is running for a second week btw. :^

I'm a bit worried as no-one has given it a thumbs down yet...

Who'd of thought Fugazi was a crowd-pleaser!

(No doubt that's done it, like a sports commentator who says "And England surely can't lose now!")

Great choice from one of my favourite bands. Even better performed live :^

You won't get any complaints from me over this one. Great example of post punk, angry in the right places, but darkly melodic. Another good choice from my collection :)

Not really my thing but I thought I would give it a listen. Never heard the band before, plenty of energy and they can obviously play, tight as the proverbial duck's rear end but I had to make comparisons with The Chili Peppers, especially tracks like "The argument" which had an almost identical guitar sound as the one Frusciante uses on RHCP slow stuff.

When it started I was ready to bale out, head banging stuff is fine for 3 minutes then I have had enough, but as the album progressed I found it more interesting. Not the sort of thing I would buy, but I thank the club for bringing something new to my attention.

Spit it out, man!

OK. I tried it again today.

First of all, it's well performed and intelligent to a point. It has power and energy. But......and it's a big, fat hairy arsed but, it doesn't sound new. There is too much of "this sounds good, let's use that" about it. Now, I know nothing of the bands history or when this was written, but it just sounds like a disjointed covers band's effort at original material. I hear Smashing Pumpkins, Midnight Oil, RHCP, MC5, but nothing that moves me. Well, something that did move me was the "shouty" bits. It moved me to point of nearly turning it off.

Put in perspective though, they sound like a band I would enjoy seeing in a boozy club or pub. I've seen many acts live (my nephew's for one) that I really enjoy, shout along to and generally have a good time with. I just don't want them playing in my living room.

You mention you knew nothing of the band so I just mentioned how long they have been going. Simple as that. Their sound hasn't really changed that much other than they got to be better qt what they do and certainly not a covers band. That was it. However search youtube and will find rhcp doing covers of fugazi songs