Bouba

Densen amps : what do you think ?

Owned a B100 for a few weeks and it was sterile and uninvolving.

Competent enough, with great timing, loads of space around instruments etc, just bereft of any emotional involvement with the music.

Maybe it wasn't suited to your source and speakers.

I am not a user of Densen amps but did own one of their cdp's and having heard and liked the Densen sound, I was recommended using a passive pre with one of their power amps. Maybe someone on here could verify this set up.

Super Wammer
I've had a b100 for the last five years.

It goes from 'working' to sublime after about 3hrs from switch on (and i don't really believe in warm up).

Yes - that was my experience with a B100 (Mk 5) as well - beautiful looking thing with, as one lady-friend commented, "big shiny knobs" (they were the preferable, in my view, silver ones); ultimately I found it a bit fatiguing and switched to a Bow Wazoo XL then a Croft hybrid integrated which I thought much more musical and un-fatiguing - but it was a great amp: I used to think of it as a heavy block of "dark matter".

I rate them highly and they can drive awkward loads too.

I love the Densen/Dynaudio synergy, seem to work well every time.

Guest MJ.
Not sure how an amplifier provides "emotional involvement" :?

Fair enough.

I've got a Densen B330+ power amp. Only Densen piece I have owned. It is a superb power amplifier. Not cheap but I bought it used , as most of my stuff is. Absolute huge bargain.Had it set up yesterday with a Cyrus cd8x/ Exposure 17 pre/ B&w 685's. Fantastic. Ive also ran it with Naim cds3/52 and Neat 3i's - a lot more often. And again , fabulous. Thought about a matching pre ( and gizmo) for it but currently have 3 pre amps already. None of which Im selling any time soon.

I would have thought the lower Densen amps just sounded similar , but with a bit less power ? Maybe not. I am surprised at the number of negative comments. All down to personal taste and matching equipment I suppose.

All down to personal taste and matching equipment I suppose.

Yep. Bang on. With my sources, speakers and taste, the B100 MK V sounds great to me. A subjective statement which means absolutely nothing to anybody else.

A strange reason not to buy a used amp. You should be able to get them replated easily enough.

Actually best bet is to speak to Densen, they have supplied in the past new knobs ;-)

The house sound has changed from the 90s DM range and B100 Mk1 (owned) . As mentioned it's personal taste, but I still think the DM range was the best kit they made.

some say densen is bright and clinical. Well I can see. maybe. I recently jan 2017. bought some new stuff. But I started to listen in the shop the rega elict-r (elicit) and e b310+ on audiomonitor gold series floorstanders. I only played 2 iron maiden songs on cd. the difference was small. But I like the gitare solo ad most. And with the densen it was a bit more juwel like. So in other means. probebly pretty brite to some ears. the rega was more in the high lowe en lowe highs presented. The densen more in the middel and sub lowe and end high of the Hz spectrum. But thats the difference between Danish and English sound I found out.

I must see I have compart the b310 and b320 and b330. And actually no difference. But it was on a bowers and wilkens diamant bookshelve speaker. So real deep bass, was not their. And only tested on iron maiden. Why no other music. This is what I play most. Ever set is different with a different music genre. So maybe difference is in the deep bass.

Now finialy I am playing on a sp33 from primare as pre amp (only using the internal dac for streaming and cd only in wave through toslink. A b320 Plus and b340 plus. Front is audiovector sr3 super. And front audiovector the aa version center speaker. But on stereo. Playing jazz rock what so ever. What gose in comes out. Some speakers may have more, more base because 19 cm witf for a center speaker is not much. Bigger woofer bigger base. But I cannot complain. Densen with other speaker can give a real different sound. But the densen set with b200 pre and b310 and densen cd player on the B & W diamant book shelves (no cm serie) wooooh. No base. But what I sound. Maybe to much. The audiovector is more balance. But for the price a bit less detail.

Hope some can have some help from this writing.

New Wam looks good, not looked in for a while. 

Run one of Densen's well regarded 'classic' pre-amps, the DM20.

Sent it over to Densen HQ in Denmark for a complete recapping, new transformers etc. Got the knobs gold replated so basically close to a 'new' amp. Took a while to bed in, with some time on it it sounds great, open wide dynamic and realistic sound that latches on to a songs groove and pulls you in.

Ran it with a few different power amps, big Japanese solid state, chip amps and tubes, the Densen showed the different amps for what they brought to the table.

Currently using a 300B SET valve power amp with it, best amp combo I've owned.

Short of a lottery win I aint letting the Densen go.

Edited by Gazjam

How does Densen sound compared to Musical Fidelity (you could say MF is British, but not as warm as the British sound is referred to is it?)?

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, Vhond said:

How does Densen sound compared to Musical Fidelity (you could say MF is British, but not as warm as the British sound is referred to is it?)?

Welcome to the madness!   As you’re new, you may not have seen this thread, when the Densen was in a select group!

'8. Musical/Delicate
- Lavardin; Coda; Ayre; Aesthetix; Densen '

Above- from the other thread.

Got a  Densen B330+ power amp.  Also capable of incredible slam and punch. Kicks like a mustang ( 2 up from a mule) when required.