Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Bouba

Densen amps : what do you think ?

Hi body,

Well, I was wondering how the densen amps, especially the entry and mid level ones could perform driving pairs of quite good monitors speakers, little dwarfs like Xero or B&W CM1? or alike, meaning some mini monitors speakers with low efficiency

Did anyone had a chance to listen the B200+/B305+ or B310+ or B320 pre/powers combo ?

The densen website is quite informative, still I'll get no chance to hear those as no local dealer store them.

I demoed the B200-B300 last year and my ears couldn't take it anymore after ten minutes. :sick: imo the sound is f**king bright. The plus sides are the very tight bass and PRaT, but you'd need careful speaker matching lest that Densen treble takes your ears off.

I settled for the Rega Elicit which sounds balanced to my ears. I would also take the also-rans Arcam A38 (my yardstick for ss neutrality) or Roksan Caspian M2 over those Densens anyday.

YMMV of course.

SS

Guest anaitiologikos

I had a B110 for about a year. Not bad, but not terribly good either. My old Cyrus Two+PSX combo was about just as good. Used it with a Rega Apollo and Proac Ref 8 Sigs. Changed to LFD and never looked back. Currently also discovering Musical Fidelity, thanks to SSM no less!

I used Densen amplification from 2000 to 2008 and if the eco-fascists banned valves I would go back. I began with the B100 then I had B200/B300, B300XS and finally a Spectral DM15 with a B330 before I discovered glowing bottles.

I demoed the B200-B300 last year and my ears couldn't take it anymore after ten minutes. imo the sound is f**king bright. The plus sides are the very tight bass and PRaT, but you'd need careful speaker matching lest that Densen treble takes your ears off.

I know how to fix that perceived brightness or treble glare btw. I am not going to say how in open forum though so if anyone is interested you'll need to pm me.

Lets just say that the problem isn't brightness as in excess treble, it is distorted treble. You will also notice that the soundstage is rather flat, projected forward and lacking depth. I know how to make it more 3-dimensional and with better image focus.

We perceive imaging through high frequencies and these need to be resolved properly.

I stuffed my Densen desire for good when I went the way of toobs.:D So I'm not keen to know what are the 11 secret herbs and spices to make the B200-300 listenable.:P

belgiandude, another ex-MFian Gobind used an MF X-T100 with his Ref 8 Sigs with tasty results. You should put MF's current Class A jobbies on your to-hear list.;-)

SS

Guest MJ.

Owned a B100 for about 3 months.

It was excellent in a hi-fi sense, probably measured well, but a bit clinical / sterile sounding; just didn't seem to communicate the emotion in the music.

Owned a B100 for about 3 months.

It was excellent in a hi-fi sense, probably measured well, but a bit clinical / sterile sounding; just didn't seem to communicate the emotion in the music.

What more could you ask for? :x

Just had a listen to the 110 today and wanted to turn it off immediately , anway tried a few more cd then gave up ! I had been thinking of buying a secondhand densen as I like the styling , had a lucky escape . AS mentioned the sound was bright and clinical and souded hi fi without soul and bass control not great . Next up was the heed obelisk , wow what a difference , sublime ! now thinking of buying one

Hey 'bodies

Many thx to all for the information. Indeed, I doubt I'll love the brigthnessof the Densen line of amps. Travelled yesterday to Lyon to hear them and Ididn't like it at all. The upper midrange is quite exciting, but maybe tooexcited...

Some precisions though: I'm really really happy with my current system which consistof

-2 Emotiva's XPA 1 monoblocks amps (weighting a hefty 45 kgs each, 1500 VA and500w into 8 ohms each) maybe overkill for Xero monitors but they are great

-An Emotiva USP-1 preamp (which should be upgraded by the XSP-1 as I havefunds)

-An Emotiva ERC-2 CDP

-Cabling is Emotiva's and Real cable

-2 pairs of Xeros monitors (One'd be in the bedroom)

The system sounds bloody brillant to me, so I'm just having some upgraditisvirus when spotted the Densen gear the other day onto the net, 'cause I'm seriouslythinking about a 3rd system to build up

Before having this system, I owned 3 years ago, a Full Myryad Z series system:Z142 + Z112 + Z162 bi-amping a pair of Quad 11L. I first parted with the 11L asI found the sound dull as if it was "veiled".

And suffering from the same Upgraditis disease, I parted with the Myryad systemto buy my current one. What I could tell you about the Myryad is the following: I found the Myryads bloody fuck**g good. These amps and CDP had a Soul,really engaging, foot taping sound. Before buying it then, I compared it withthe Naim Nait integrated and matching CDP, the Myryad had 5 stars to my earwith no doubt after 1 hour listening session.

So to make a long story short, I trully think I'll buy in the near future thesame Myryad system: the integrated + the power amp Z162 for bi amping purposesand the matching updated Z114 CDP.

I miss the soul these 3 neat boxes had, even though my main Emotiva's system isBouba's chateau (hey ssm !!) for a long long long time.

I know how to fix that perceived brightness or treble glare btw. I am not going to say how in open forum though so if anyone is interested you'll need to pm me.

Does it involve pillows and gaffa tape?:shock: