falcoron

Interconnects, what made your jaw drop?

The bit I am referring to is:

by eliminating interconnecting cables which, as well as adding cost, introduce (even in the case of the best cables) some degradation to the sound.

Is UR saying that cables make a difference to the sound of an amplifier as they degrade the sound of amplifiers. Now as I understand it you do not think that cables make a difference do but the comapnay who makes some of your gear thinks they do. I appreciate you are not them and I am not Transparent Audio.

Sure they're introducing unwanted LCR, it's measurable and it exists....

I'll say this once again so as to be absolutely clear, cables such as freebies are well made to transmit the signal between them, when measured they have vanishingly low LCR values, and as such them, Kondo, Kimber, AN, etc are impossible to differentiate via the human ear....

Cables such as those made of graphite, or those with ridiculously high capicitance, resistance etc, are able to be differentiated by ear from freebies.... However if a cable with a high R, is level matched to that of a freebie, you wouldn't be able to detect the difference via your ears.. I hope that makes sense..

Yea but why no ABX for SS amplifiers where the science shows they should sound the same, or are they so poor it is impossible to tell the difference between utter crap and supreme indifference and they should immediately change to valves which are far more linear and don't rely on NFB to prevent unstab;e oscillation and explosion? :P

I don't think the science does say that. I think an over-simplistic interpretation of the science by engineers might say that, but the analysis is normally based on a small number of parameters with huge assumptions regarding audibility. There are measurable differences between almost any pair of amps, usually more than one measurable difference. The simple-minded treatment never seems to consider combinations of differences, or things like measuring at more than one frequency!

• Upvote 1

I don't think the science does say that. I think an over-simplistic interpretation of the science by engineers might say that, but the analysis is normally based on a small number of parameters with huge assumptions regarding audibility. There are measurable differences between almost any pair of amps, usually more than one measurable difference. The simple-minded treatment never seems to consider combinations of differences, or things like measuring at more than one frequency!

I totally agree, this simplistic 6 parameters defining an amplifier's performance are important approach does not work.

Shall we give the industry a Christmas lift by closing the fek out of this thread now?

Sure they're introducing unwanted LCR, it's measurable and it exists....

I'll say this once again so as to be absolutely clear, cables such as freebies are well made to transmit the signal between them, when measured they have vanishingly low LCR values, and as such them, Kondo, Kimber, AN, etc are impossible to differentiate via the human ear....

Cables such as those made of graphite, or those with ridiculously high capicitance, resistance etc, are able to be differentiated by ear from freebies.... However if a cable with a high R, is level matched to that of a freebie, you wouldn't be able to detect the difference via your ears.. I hope that makes sense..

Classical theory states that most LCR differences do not change the sound of the cable. So why does the chief designer of UR beleive that cables degrade the sound of amplifiers?

Level matching is not the only problem as it is possible for some cables to alter the frequency response by rolling off the top end.

Richard: Am I misitnerpreting your results?

Did your ABX tests show that you could tell differences between the sound quality between amps and CDs? If so it is one of the first I have seen. That is of interest as I beleive ABX tests are rather crude.

Yes. That's what he said. Do we need to cut n paste for you?

• Upvote 1

And it's good bye from me...

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Upvote 1