falcoron

Interconnects, what made your jaw drop?

Guest Sprockens
This is probably the best zen approach to cable swapping. Cables can make a difference, but that difference is severely muted when other factors come into play. Room interaction, equipment satisfaction, mains supply (including whatever your inconsiderate neighbour might be doing). These all have a greater effect, but, and its a big but, when all those are sorted the cables CAN add that extra edge. As a certified audio nerd, that extra edge is important and being in the extremely lucky position of affording it, ive wired my system with kondo silver. I cant condone this approach to everyone but hey it works. The flip side of this extreme approach is i can now forget about cables and their annoying little intricacies and just concentrate on the playback.

As for jaw dropping? when Mario came round with 10K's worth of AN silver speaker cable (5m biwired) it made my chord epic seem very prosaic in comparison. Problem there is a couple of extra noughts on the end of the rrp.

I took a homeopathic remedy for hay fever once. It seemed to work.

Guest Sprockens
did fcuk all for me along with all the hippy crystal crap as well. But oh, let me guess, you're trying to imply that cables only work with belief?

It looks that way.

It isn't that anyone should mind anyone else holding an opinion....why would they...how could they mind? It's just that some people insist on shouting their opinions in your ear. OK, that too is life I guess, but to do that when you have been specially nicely asked not to takes a certain type of insensitivity peculiar only to internet forums.

I specially love the instructions like...oh this is the wam, so grow a thicker skin, as though your sensitivity was the problem.:rofl:

Anyway. To contribute to the OP (BTW, 'flu' or 'man flu'?),

well i nearly died twice today so its mostly the more serious man flu!

Interconnects have never made huge differences to any system I have owned, and Jerry earlier mentioned Hitachi OFC cables which, on his advice, I bought about 18 months ago. I think they cost £10ish? They replaced a 0.75m pair of coherent 3d cables that were about 50 times that price, and seemed marginally preferable to me in every way, but, the Coherents had done a tiny something to help clean up rather muddy response from a previous room and kit list, so maybe some tweaking is possible from interconnects, but advice is next to useless, because each room and then each system is different and so is each persons idea of what they want.

I accuse the OP therefore (in the nicest possible way) of being a little too open to auto suggestion and hope he does what has been previously suggested here.

Im no easily parted with my cash, and im not open to auto suggestion, i am only asking if anyone had the jaw dropping moment from a cable only out of interest and to read what some people found. i am very happy with the Mark Grants i have and have no urge to change unless i get something that makes a difference for the better and it dosen't have to be expensive if its a cheap one that goes a fantastic job i would like to hear about it.

1. Sort your room acoustics. They are VITAL and my recent house change has convinced me totally that this must be done, and then

2. Muck about as much as you like, but borrow lots to see what you hear.

Oh sorry. Jawdropping? Hitachi OFC, as in, how can they be this good for £10?

thats what i mean dosen't have to be expensive and if it did a trick of being better than an expensive one then great!

PS. Jerry is v. persuasive and enthusiastic, so this is obviously me being susceptible to his powers of auto suggestion.

Jerry is but he is no mug either.

thanks for your post

Ron not sure anyone is having a personal pop , I know your passionate about music and hifi that clearly comes across in your forum posts

if you want a real gobsmacking moment with interconnects I surgest you take the DIY route very simple to knock up and considering you made your own speakers then not much effort req and just as much reward

plenty of quality connections available and just as many suppliers selling cable by the mtr lenght this would give you chance to try all kinds of different cable ie, coax , multi core copper or silver , solid core silver or copper , cables with different screening or not depending on you preference

worth remembering there are very few cable manafactures that actually manafacture the cable that carries the name screen printed on the side

I'm sure you would have many a gob smacking moments comparing cables made by your own hand to those vastly more expensive commercial offerings :-)

Did some DIY cables years ago and they were ok, but where bettered by the missing link stuff by a huge margine, did the ML diy as well.

As i said before im not looking for a cable i just wondered if there was any that gave a really big change for the better in a system.

i know the importance of the room and components and by and large i have a system im delighted with but i would never stand still with it i will always wonder and change so far ive done well with good improvements along the way. Biggest jaw dropper for me has never been cables its been pre amps and ob speakers. Its been interesting i have had over 30 PM's from wammers who have told me their experiences and some are identical with the same cables and not all expensive ones at that.

cheers

I got a night & day jaw dropping difference years ago comparing a set of solid silver DIY ICs, (Audusa silver WBT RCA clones, Shark C223A silver, high content silver solder) against some Chord Calypsos .... I then tried them blind, I even threw in a set of Ixos 104s to the mix*. You can guess the rest Ron. My warm tummy audiophile sensation was replaced by sheer terror ..... Actually I am being serious about jaw dropping when I knew what I was listening to, so in the spirit of your original question, I hope I am allowed to post that.

* All 3 cables have been subsequently sold and I now get by with Ixos component RCA cables.

I'm not sure why anyone would spend £1000 on something which is going to require a blind test to tell if it made a difference or not (better? nah different). People seem to forget they could spend that £1000 on a shit ton of music, or put it towards the next box/speaker upgrade. Far more sensible. I think it's more about the kudos or 'I have...' than caring about what it does to your system.

:goodone:

I got a night & day jaw dropping difference years ago comparing a set of solid silver DIY ICs, (Audusa silver WBT RCA clones, Shark C223A silver, high content silver solder) against some Chord Calypsos .... I then tried them blind, I even threw in a set of Ixos 104s to the mix*. You can guess the rest Ron. My warm tummy audiophile sensation was replaced by sheer terror ..... Actually I am being serious about jaw dropping when I knew what I was listening to, so in the spirit of your original question, I hope I am allowed to post that.

* All 3 cables have been subsequently sold and I now get by with Ixos component RCA cables.

Of course you can post, im cant stop anyone nor do i want to if you have a constructive and valid post, your point is valid i made no mention of cost so if a cheap cable does it for your thats fantastic, and you are happy with the results great. I have had £500 cables at one time and did like them a lot, had to sell as times got tight at one point with reduced working week etc.

I now use Mark Grant to great effect and im happy with the results. I am going to try others i have been offered by kind wammers and trade sellers on here which will be interesting as i can take the time and evaluate in my system in my home so make an informed decision if any are better than i use or not.

Thanks for your post, i have had Ixos cables and liked them a lot with the system i had then.

Cheers

I am going to try others i have been offered by trade sellers on here

That is very kind of them, keep us posted on your findings.

bookworm.gif

From the AUP

It is not permitted for dealers to use the PM facility to tout for business.

smile.gif

That is very kind of them, keep us posted on your findings.

bookworm.gif

From the AUP

smile.gif

I will of course Tel.

No dealers PM'd me i phoned a few and asked for " loaners" to try some did some did not.

PM's came from wammers not traders so no rule bending here

I'm sure you will be very glad about that.

I am very glad about that and sorry I took 'i have been offered by trade sellers on here to mean that they contacted you.

IC's never jawdrop, but speaker cables are another matter.

Go ahead and start your own thread on that one mate, get the kevlar suit on first though :)

- - - Updated - - -

I am very glad about that and sorry I took 'i have been offered by trade sellers on here to mean that they contacted you.

Think you thunk too much :)

I've been away such a long time from forums. What is there some kind of debate about cables? (snigger)

- - - Updated - - -

The therapy didn't work though.