AmDismal

The horny monster communal system

Following a somewhat drunken discussion at my bake-off this weekend, and a couple of PMs with the boss, Ritchie (Hayward) and Jack (non smoking man) have merged and I've joined them, to put together a monster system at Scalford. We have the Colman room, which is big.

What we can do is all bring some bits, and frantically put something together on Saturday before we start drinking too much. If you have something that might fit in, get in touch! I'll PM the usual suspects (Guy, Pete, Paul, Jack, Ritchie, Keith etc), but please feel free to join in.

I am thinking up to 8-way, mainly because we can, using my digital crossover system. Ideally we would get a decent TT running, as well as a CD player and streaming, and we should have lots of SETs, high end horns, ribbons and the like. By sharing things out, we should be able to bring some big stuff without having to hire an artic, and not kill one person in the set-up.

Here is my thinking on speakers:

Sub bass - Jack NSM with his many-18" array and/or SpeedySteve's tapped horns

Mid bass - my or Guy's front-loaded bertha

Mids - S2s, sure, but what else?

Highs - Raals? Anyone got anything better?

We'll need three more DACs (preferably with AES inputs), lots of SETs and the like (preferably with volume controls), heck we could even use pre-amps as well, and a structure to house the mid up horns (Steve!). We'll also need an A-D for the TT.

This is gonna be fun :)

Interesting idea.

I'd like to hear the tapped horns with some 700w amps:), But they are bastard heavy and need a van. A big bank of subs would have better visual effect.

My existing stands can hold or be adapted to hold mids, upper mids and tweets... Lazy Ribbons with proper big wave guides would project them more and add more dB - it's not like they did not keep up anyway though...

Anti-mode2.0 perhaps or other DSP solution.

I have just notched out that 32Hz room lump, so the response is basically flat in the bass - I can easily do this in my XO - but we could slot in the mini DSP in the digital loop to the subs. That could work!

Super Wammer

Is this just for fun sat eve ??? if so the MFing 185 watts of Class A is available controlled by the IA passive pre

Keith

Guest BD Audio

If you don't mind dealers chipping in and if no-one has one already for that room I'd be happy to lend an Antimode. Mental room idea, I like it!

Some stuff that may be of use...

Vitavox S2's on multicell horns

Mf A370

Viva 845 mono's ( I could probably hang on to them 'til March)

I could get that lot in the car :)

Don't forget to measure the doorways :nerves:

My mid bass horn is designed to come apart, and Guy's has been in there before. Not sure how big the subs are going to be, though - and they come in multiples!

Er, No I don't:)

I plan to be 5 way DSP way before then though... Not sure about total room correction - Still on my long list of things to try before I die:)

Thanks Jack, although I think Steve has one.!

I don't know whether it would be useful,but I could bring along a Multi Channel Trinnov box, it will create DSP crossovers for 8 channels, two four ways, and then perform a global room, group delay, phase etc correction.

Keith.

Forgot to mention it is also an A/D and D/A and preamp.