SSM

composers we don't get...

boxer wrote:

And then, of course, if you still have any spark of life left, you could finish yersel` off with the limitless expanses of Parsifal...

Oh God, don't! My ex-GF dragged me to see it at the ENO ... I still get flashbacks ...

meninblack wrote:

As for Dickie: I've been watching the BBC Ring cycle which I recorded on my digibox. Rhinegold was, well, OK; Valkyrie excellent, really gripping stuff - then I kind of lost the will to live somwhere during the three-and-a-half tiresome, pointless and repetitive hours of Seigfried.... haven't got around to Gotterdammerung yet....

My sentiments exactly. But when he's good, he's very very good. Act 1 & especially act 3 of Parsifal are in the good category.

meninblack wrote:

boxer wrote:
And then, of course, if you still have any spark of life left, you could finish yersel` off with the limitless expanses of Parsifal...

Oh God, don't! My ex-GF dragged me to see it at the ENO ... I still get flashbacks ...

:P

And you actually let such a classy girl go after this artistic favour she did you?:shock:

SS:nup:

SSM wrote:

meninblack wrote:
boxer wrote:

And you actually let such a classy girl go after this artistic favour she did you?:shock:

She also took me to see The Sisters of Mercy. Twice. :shock:

meninblack wrote:

SSM wrote:
meninblack wrote:
boxer wrote:

She also took me to see The Sisters of Mercy. Twice. :shock:

Dickie's Flower Maidens and SOM together in one lifetime.:? No wonder you're so disturbed, and like dressing up in black.:P

And can I add Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex to the list? I can handle most of the Stravinskian output, but this one has me absolutely baffled. I've listened to the recent definitive Robert Craft version (Naxos) three times today and I'm none the wiser. It doesn't even come to a conclusion - it just stops.

Is it the composer's idea of a joke?

Logan wrote:

And can I add Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex to the list? I can handle most of the Stravinskian output, but this one has me absolutely baffled. I've listened to the recent definitive Robert Craft version (Naxos) three times today and I'm none the wiser. It doesn't even come to a conclusion - it just stops.

Is it the composer's idea of a joke?

I concur. The musical inspiration in Rex is as bald as his ... :P

Debussy's Pelleas has more saving graces than Rex.

SS

Guest 155

boxer wrote:

Some of the most sublime music ever written!

But I really have never been able to fully appreciate Elgar, I wish he had concentrated on the symphonic form.Stravinsky, Bernstein, Bax, Tippett have all failed to move me in any way. And Glass is becoming increasingly tiresome.

155:)

This has been a really enjoyable thread to read, thanks SSM! When I've heard some more pieces, I'll hopefully be in a position to add my tuppence.

It's funny how Scriabin gets such a drubbing. I've just been reading about him (which is how I came across this thread, searching for him, and it's one of the only threads that came up - I guess I can see why now). He seems really interesting from what I read but I guess there's a thin line between 'interesting' and 'rubbish'! I'll have to check him out for myself.

I was going to make a Scriabin thread but there's probably no point!

Following on from an earlier thread, Gyorgy Ligeti. Oh, and Karlheinz Stockhausen and Pierre Boulez.

Following on from an earlier thread, Gyorgy Ligeti. Oh, and Karlheinz Stockhausen and Pierre Boulez.

All those, and I'll add Stravinsky.

Some years ago, I was taken to hear The Rite of Spring. I sat down, the musicians came in and started tuning up. 45 minutes later they stopped tuning up, and everyone applauded.

Bizarre.

S

All those, and I'll add Stravinsky.

Some years ago, I was taken to hear The Rite of Spring. I sat down, the musicians came in and started tuning up. 45 minutes later they stopped tuning up, and everyone applauded.

Bizarre.

S

That sound like the old story (possibly apochryphal) of the Tsar taking an Eastern potentate to an orchestral concert. When asked whether he enjoyed it, the potentate said, "Oh, yes, especially the part before the man with the stick came in and started waving it!"

I actually enjoy The Rite of Spring (which caused a riot at its first performance). Try his Firebird suite.

That sound like the old story (possibly apochryphal) of the Tsar taking an Eastern potentate to an orchestral concert. When asked whether he enjoyed it, the potentate said, "Oh, yes, especially the part before the man with the stick came in and started waving it!"

I actually enjoy The Rite of Spring (which caused a riot at its first performance). Try his Firebird suite.

Tried that, and Petrushka, but with the same effect. I suppose I just don't get Stravinsky.

My loss, I suppose.

S