chrisB

Τhe most zoomed-in photo ever shot by mankind

What you’re looking at is the most zoomed-in photo ever shot by mankind

deepest.jpg

Here’s a 100% crop from that image:

crop.jpg

Rest of the story here: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/25/this-is-the-most-zoomed-in-photograph-ever-created-by-mankind/

:shock::notworthy:

Amazing photo, but what's more amazing is that some of the visible galaxies are about 13.2 billion years old, but the Universe is only 13.7 billion years old - give or take a few years!!!

Longer exposure than anything I've taken, too. :)

You obviously have not seen Kate Middletons Tits then? ;-)

Guest batman

thats another mindblower i cant think about it for too long my bonce starts hurting...

Just think, if we could travel at the speed of light it would take us something like 100,000 years to cross our own Milky Way Galaxy and we would be just one of those little dots - bloody mind boggling !! :nuts:

• Upvote 1

What you’re looking at is the most zoomed-in photo ever shot by mankind

deepest.jpg

Here’s a 100% crop from that image:

crop.jpg

Rest of the story here: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/25/this-is-the-most-zoomed-in-photograph-ever-created-by-mankind/

:shock::notworthy:

people think I'm a heartless bastard (and I often am) but photos like this make me really emotional. Simply stunning!

Just think, if we could travel at the speed of light it would take us something like 100,000 years to cross our own Milky Way Galaxy and we would be just one of those little dots - bloody mind boggling !! :nuts:

If this is true, which I am not doubting, when I used to watch Star Trek, was all of that based in just our Galaxy, or did they used to jump to other Galaxy's. Not sure I want the likes of the Kilingons in my Galaxy (bound to lower the average house price :nerves:).

LOL, I don't think Star Trek was big on astronomical accuracy!

Guest john_booker

I'm liking the 'Motorhead' galaxy at the top of that zoomed shot.

If this is true, which I am not doubting, when I used to watch Star Trek, was all of that based in just our Galaxy, or did they used to jump to other Galaxy's. Not sure I want the likes of the Kilingons in my Galaxy (bound to lower the average house price :nerves:).

This (like everything to do with Trek and the internet) is debated but Star Trek as a series of programs, takes place in this galaxy. In the original series, the Klingon home planet was in a different "quadrant" of the galaxy but this seems to have been altered in the newer versions so that both Earth and Kronos (and Vulcan, Cardassia, Romulus and Bajor for that matter) are all in the "Alpha" quadrant. In Deep Space Nine and Voyager, other quadrants feature however. The antagonists for much of DS9 hail from the "Gamma Quadrant" and make the journey to the "Alpha" via a wormhole, while in Voyager a single human ship is thrown 70,000 light years to the "Delta" quadrant and the entire series revolves around the central tenet of returning to home. This is postulated at taking 70 years but as even Fox don't review series for that many seasons, by dint of various scrapes and judicious use of "transwarp" it took eight.

Only One Episode of Star Trek takes place outside of the boundaries of this galaxy and they seem to have got home in time for tea.

I am resigned to the fact I know this shit. I have a wife and have been in the act of sexual congress with a woman. I get on well with my parents but don't live with them.

Ed

• Upvote 3