nick dartmoor

SD Acoustics

It must be twenty years ago, but I do remember an article in HI Fi Choice, were a chap had taken his Sd1's and put all the drive units in seperate boxes in a expanded modern totem pole fashion. Looked very sexy at the time

It must be twenty years ago, but I do remember an article in HI Fi Choice, were a chap had taken his Sd1's and put all the drive units in seperate boxes in a expanded modern totem pole fashion. Looked very sexy at the time

I did something similar. My ailing SD1's (3 x grilles) had bad foam on the woofers. So I built myself some IPL Transmission lines to use as main speakers and they are great. Then I noticed the woofers in my new speaker kits were the same Audax unit, so I ordered a further pair of drivers (PR240M6 - a direct replacement for the original PR240M0) from IPL and got the SD1s going again - very nice.

As the SD1s were now to be used in my studio set-up, I had to split them. I separated the Low frequency chamber and the Mid/Treble boxes. The LF fits under the desk and the Mid/Treble sits above it. I made a custom box for the tweeters and further reduced the amount of chipboard in total. I now have three separate boxes all tri-wired. Only problem is now one of the ribbon tweeters has finally gone and I have sold the remaining one. The mid drivers required occasional reinforcement to the surrounds and while they still sound phenomenal, they look really ugly. The woofers (still in their cabinets) are virtually new and I don't know what to do with them. I'm tempted to try a build or more likely ebay them or put them up for sale on HiFi WigWam or similar. At the moment they are taking up far too much room in my studio.

- - - Updated - - -

A pair of SD ribbons were unsold on ebay today. Did you see them?

If pushed, the guy might re-list?

Good luck!

I had a pair of SD1s which I bought off my next door neighbour when I lived down in Wiltshire, probably 16 years ago, if not longer. They stayed with me until I moved up to the Midlands. In a terraced house they were just far too large and sucked light out of the room (they were the ones with 3-sided grills). I sold them to a chap who wanted to try them as the centre side speakers in a 7.1 set up...:shock:

Hi all,

I'm the very proud owner of a pair of SD Acoustics SD1 speakers, which have actually done the rounds of a few wammers, before squeezing through my door. I absolutely love their sound. I also snapped up along the way, a pair of OBS-R from the same company. They are the 'Open Baffle Speaker', but the last incarnation of them, where they added a ribbon tweeter in the manner of the SD1. They are also really nice speakers. I have in mind at some point to also get hold of a pair of Steen's smaller monitor speakers, with a view to ultimately having a 5.1 option with the same signature sound.

I was wondering how many other wammers there might be, who have SD speakers, their opinions on them, and especially whether anyone has, or has heard at any time, the SD Ribbons? They were of a similar size to the SD1, with, IIRC a couple of conventional bass-drivers at the bottom, and then a massive long ribbon panel taking care of all of the mid/top. They were, I think, the top of the SD range, and I'd love to hear them some time. Some came up on Ebay about a year ago, and in a rare fit of restraint, I didn't bid highly enough, and they were gone into the hi-fi ether..

From ribbonman on May 11th 2015.

I have had a pair of SD Ribbons for a long time and would be happy to demo them to you with a view to a possible change of ownership. Do get in touch if interested. They are close to perfect with new foams, ribbons undamaged and recovered covers.

From ribbonman on May 11th 2015.

I have had a pair of SD Ribbons for a long time and would be happy to demo them to you with a view to a possible change of ownership. Do get in touch if interested. They are close to perfect with new foams, ribbons undamaged and recovered covers.

PM sent :^

Hi All,

I’m the proud new owner of these fabulous speakers. Nice to meet you, Nick!  I have always liked my SD Acoustics OBS, and when these came up for sale I needed to try them.  Glad I did! My OBS are now my 5.1 front speakers, and these are going to stay in my 2ch system for the foreseeable future. Detail is superb and bass is tight. I’m using a home built MyRefC dual mono amp.  The speakers just disappear... just not when you look at them!

If anyone is considering trying these, I’d say crack on. You won’t be disappointed.