nick dartmoor

SD Acoustics

I get the impression the quality of his stuff was high right across the range. There was a pair of those SD3Rs went on Ebay a while back for a ridiculously low amount of money. Sadly they were collection only, and 300 odd miles away from me, or I'd have snapped them up.

A fellow Wammer in my town has, or had, a pair of the ribbon Steen speaks. Although I am not sure if the ribbons were original...................they sounded OK. But they didnt light my fire.

S

Super Wammer
I'd enjoy any photo's if possible please.

+1

As a further update, I have still done a grand total of zilch to my own SD1s, but I have ordered the new surrounds for the midranges and am aiming to have them all lovely and shiny, and singing sweetly for Scalford 2013!

As a further update, I have still done a grand total of zilch to my own SD1s, but I have ordered the new surrounds for the midranges and am aiming to have them all lovely and shiny, and singing sweetly for Scalford 2013!

Good Oh! Looking forward to hearing them again. Now an active pair might be rather nice......

S.

I shall ask him if he has any pix and get him to post them.

That would be great, thanks!

Good Oh! Looking forward to hearing them again.

S.

They really are fantastic speakers. There's not a day goes past that I'm not blown away by them. I'm bi-amping mine with a Sugden A21a and A21ap. The A21a was handling them ok on its own, as they aren't particularly insensitive, but I heard them at one point with a much more powerful amp, and the sound just had much more authority, so I decided to bi-amp them. It's not a radical improvement, but it does make a nice difference.

Super Wammer

Funnily, i'm biamping my SD5's with an Alesis RA-150 Studio monitor amp for the bass and my Audion Sterling valve amp for everything else. It wasn't like there wasn't enough bass or anything, but with the biamped setup there is more authority (as you say) and slam. Can't be bad!

Hello,

I am new to Hifiwigwam and saw this thread with interest.

For I bought a pair of SD Ribbons when they first came out in the late 1980s. I auditioned them at Grahams in London with Steen present. They cost GBP2k and I planned to power them from my Naim NAP250. They sounded fantastic.

I live in the UAE and it was about 3 weeks later that the speakers arrived at my home. I was horrified to discover that the cabinet in one of the speakers had fallen apart at the joint between the top half, where the ribbon was mounted, and the bass cabinet. The cabinet was a very lightweight plywood and the ribbons mounted in an open cutout on the front baffle. The speakers were returned to Grahams.

About 3 weeks later a replacement pair arrived and I was thrilled to set them up in my system. Then, after a few days, one ribbon stopped working. I contacted Grahams, and we agreed I would remove the ribbon and send it back to UK whilst a replacement was sent.

The ribbons were large and heavy, being mounted in an angle iron frame screwed into the open cabinet.

A replacement unit was couriered to me. It cost a fortune to ship. You can imagine my disappointment when I found that the dimensions of the replacement ribbon were different to the one I had removed. It was about 1cm too large on both sides. It did not fit and it looked rough in terms of quality of build.

At this stage, my patience was running thin. After discussions with Grahams, I sent the whole lot back to them. Steen was going to build a pair of super speakers for me that would pass any inspection. Grahams agreed to visit SD Acoustics throughout the building process and report on progress. They also said that if they thought the quality was sub optimal, they would not ship the speakers to me.

After 2 weeks, I received a message from Grahams saying they were not satisfied with the work, and were refunding all the money that the speakers had cost me.

That is what happened and shortly afterwards, SD Acoustics disappeared.

The ribbon units were made by someone who was not a craftsman. On examination, it was clear that the two units were unsquare and different sizes between the two speakers. The apertures for the ribbons were not the same on each box. All in all, the construction was very poor, and unworthy of the stratospheric cost.

In the end, I bought a pair of Apogee Centaurs, which were good, but not as special as the SD Ribbons. They blew up my NAP 250 on two occasions and Naim kindly made some modifications to the amp that made them work reliably.

So if you see any SD Ribbons for sale, please beware. My brother has SD-1s and I think they are fabulous. All the units can be easily replaced and their sound quality has stood the test of time.

David

• Upvote 1

If anybody has a pair of the original box shaped stand mount SD1 (his first product), with the round edges I am still interested. I have never ever seen a pair for sale, so my guess is that there are very few. The speakers don't have ribbon tweeters, but a Seas? dome.

Hello,

I am new to Hifiwigwam and saw this thread with interest.

For I bought a pair of SD Ribbons when they first came out in the late 1980s. I auditioned them at Grahams in London with Steen present. They cost GBP2k and I planned to power them from my Naim NAP250. They sounded fantastic.

I live in the UAE and it was about 3 weeks later that the speakers arrived at my home. I was horrified to discover that the cabinet in one of the speakers had fallen apart at the joint between the top half, where the ribbon was mounted, and the bass cabinet. The cabinet was a very lightweight plywood and the ribbons mounted in an open cutout on the front baffle. The speakers were returned to Grahams.

About 3 weeks later a replacement pair arrived and I was thrilled to set them up in my system. Then, after a few days, one ribbon stopped working. I contacted Grahams, and we agreed I would remove the ribbon and send it back to UK whilst a replacement was sent.

The ribbons were large and heavy, being mounted in an angle iron frame screwed into the open cabinet.

A replacement unit was couriered to me. It cost a fortune to ship. You can imagine my disappointment when I found that the dimensions of the replacement ribbon were different to the one I had removed. It was about 1cm too large on both sides. It did not fit and it looked rough in terms of quality of build.

At this stage, my patience was running thin. After discussions with Grahams, I sent the whole lot back to them. Steen was going to build a pair of super speakers for me that would pass any inspection. Grahams agreed to visit SD Acoustics throughout the building process and report on progress. They also said that if they thought the quality was sub optimal, they would not ship the speakers to me.

After 2 weeks, I received a message from Grahams saying they were not satisfied with the work, and were refunding all the money that the speakers had cost me.

That is what happened and shortly afterwards, SD Acoustics disappeared.

The ribbon units were made by someone who was not a craftsman. On examination, it was clear that the two units were unsquare and different sizes between the two speakers. The apertures for the ribbons were not the same on each box. All in all, the construction was very poor, and unworthy of the stratospheric cost.

In the end, I bought a pair of Apogee Centaurs, which were good, but not as special as the SD Ribbons. They blew up my NAP 250 on two occasions and Naim kindly made some modifications to the amp that made them work reliably.

So if you see any SD Ribbons for sale, please beware. My brother has SD-1s and I think they are fabulous. All the units can be easily replaced and their sound quality has stood the test of time.

David

David thanks, and welcome to the Wam! Wow what a protracted tale of woe! I recently was looking at a pair of the Ribbons for sale, and have decided to pass on them and stick with my SD1s. Funnily enough, one thing that struck me, examining the photos of the speakers was that the veneered lower panels of one of the speakers can be seen to have separated slightly from the main body of the speaker. This would seem to concur with your comments regarding build quality. I have no doubt they are fantastic sounding speakers, but the only way I'd risk purchasing them would be at a price sufficiently low as to negate the risk element. I love my SD1s anyway, and having had a fairly recent re-foam, they're good for a long while yet. Maybe tempted to upgrade the ribbon at some point, to something like a Raal.

As I mentioned, my brother has a pair of late SD-1s. They seem to vary between early and later speakers which have different bass units. This led us at one stage to wonder how much effort it would be to make a new pair of SD-1s. All the components are available and the cabinets would not be too difficult to build.

David