nick dartmoor

SD Acoustics

Hi all,

I'm the very proud owner of a pair of SD Acoustics SD1 speakers, which have actually done the rounds of a few wammers, before squeezing through my door. I absolutely love their sound. I also snapped up along the way, a pair of OBS-R from the same company. They are the 'Open Baffle Speaker', but the last incarnation of them, where they added a ribbon tweeter in the manner of the SD1. They are also really nice speakers. I have in mind at some point to also get hold of a pair of Steen's smaller monitor speakers, with a view to ultimately having a 5.1 option with the same signature sound.

I was wondering how many other wammers there might be, who have SD speakers, their opinions on them, and especially whether anyone has, or has heard at any time, the SD Ribbons? They were of a similar size to the SD1, with, IIRC a couple of conventional bass-drivers at the bottom, and then a massive long ribbon panel taking care of all of the mid/top. They were, I think, the top of the SD range, and I'd love to hear them some time. Some came up on Ebay about a year ago, and in a rare fit of restraint, I didn't bid highly enough, and they were gone into the hi-fi ether..

Good to hear you still love them, Nick.

Been replaced by.....Leak 3090s!

Bombastic!

Good luck finding the ribbons.

Chris

Yep, still totally into them Chris, thanks! I've got some acoustic treatment into the living room now, which has tamed the issues I was having at the beginning. I still suspect I'd get better out of them in a bigger room that wasn't a small granite box, but nonetheless they sound sublime :^

Been replaced by.....Leak 3090s!

Bombastic!

Christ, you're not joking - I just checked out a photo of them! Haha, I thought you wouldn't be able to live without bass in the living room for long!

Yeah , great Speakers sd1's, in my little back room of keepers, I was thinking of using them in a 5.1,but my the foams went on my other pair so I let them go as menders.

Regarding those huge Leaks, never heard them really rock,but that's only maybe because they look like they should be Rockers,but maybe are a bit more graceful.

Super Wammer

Hi Nick,

I have a pair of SD-5's which I love to death. Doubt I'll ever sell them to be honest. Would love to get hold of some of Steen's smaller boxes myself!

James

Steen Doessing was (hopefully still is!) a lovely man who made some great 'speakers that I was very happy to sell in the mid '80s. The original SD2s (the ones with the rounded corners) proved diffiicult to sell due to their looks. A fair few guys wanted them, to have their wifes say no. I got a local woodworker to make some stands in the same veneer and with the same curved shape and that helped a little,but one couldn't get away from the sheer size of the things. The small SD3 (I think) was far more successful although somewhat fragile as Steen didn't like Ferrofluid so his tweeters were easily damaged. The best of the lot was the SD1. That worked very well indeed. Wish I'd bought one for myself. Rather hoping there will be one at Scalford next year.

S.

I am sure there was an original SD1 that was bigger than the SD2 with the rounded edges (mid-1980's). Never seen one for years. Anyway, anybody got a SD2 or SD1 with rounded edges, I would be interested in them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Bob

I have had a couple of pairs with the 3 piece grills,and one pair with a one piece three sided grille,I always thought they were the late models.

They probably are. It's not the open frame later SD1 I am interested in, but the pre-open from model with rounded edges.

No one's heard the SD Ribbons though? In terms of the line, they were a significant price hike up from the SD1, and more difficult to drive. I get the impression they were produced towards the latter end of the company's history, so maybe only a few were made/sold. I'm really curious about them.

Well if Beobloke has got round to sorting them out, there might be:D

Yes my old speakers I believe :^ the ribbon tweeter was excellent, really nice.

Well if Beobloke has got round to sorting them out, there might be:D

Nag, nag, nag.....

Just a small update on my long-term search for a pair of Steen Doessing's 'SD Ribbons', in case anyone who owns some ever visits the Wam, and to vaguely keep the thread alive. As yet, no joy, though I found one post on vinylengine.com by someone calling themselves Pyra, who has a pair, and says that he/she doesn't know anyone else who has them, and that they are better than anything else he/she has heard.

I'm curious whether that is the person who bagged the pair on Ebay a while back. I PMed them on that forum, but they had only ever made the one post, so they'll probably never read my message.

Really keen to track these speakers down...