Sign in to follow this  
Gazjam

Last sanity check before buying - Beresford DAC to upgrade my Cambridge?

Papa Lazarou wrote:

meninblack wrote:
I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of CD players that will be "improved" by a £100 DAC, TBH.

Minimax might be -it will cut all that valve nonsense out of the signal path ..... :D

Agreed on both counts. :^

Well .... there's all these folks who are slating off the Beresford Mks 2-4 who haven't tried one, and there's all these folks who sing their praises who have tried one.

So ......... :zip:

BTW - I've not heard the Mk1 - but it had a teeny-weeny power supply (300mA?) and is reputed to not have been very good. The Mk2 and subsequent versions have a much more powerful (read: adequate and sufficient 1.7A) PS and a bundle of other mods and really are the mutt's cojones for any CDP under £1k (or more).

Try one before you slag it off guys!

Heard it all before Jerry. Flavour of the month DACs. First there was a buzz about Flying Calf DAC (I bought one) then the SuperDAC, then eBay NOS DACs. Now the Beresford it appears.

I’m sure the Beresford would be worth trying as an upgrade for beer budget CD players but I don’t think it would improve on the electronics found inside any CD player costing the other side of £300. And I don’t need to try one to have this opinion.

There’s no slagging off going on.

mosfet wrote:

Heard it all before Jerry. Flavour of the month DACs. First there was a buzz about Flying Calf DAC (I bought one) then the SuperDAC, then eBay NOS DACs. Now the Beresford it appears.

I’m sure the Beresford would be worth trying as an upgrade for beer budget CD players but I don’t think it would improve on the electronics found inside any CD player costing the other side of £300. And I don’t need to try one to have this opinion.

There’s no slagging off going on.

Can't agree with you there mosfet - there's just too many folks, on the WW and elsewhere, whoprefer the Beresford totheir mid-high end players (both CD & LP).

I don't use myBeresford now - the DAC in my Burmester CDP is better - so I'll be happy to loan you mine to try. Just PM me your address and it'll be on its way.

JANDL100 wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:
meninblack wrote:
I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of CD players that will be "improved" by a £100 DAC, TBH.

Minimax might be -it will cut all that valve nonsense out of the signal path ..... :D

Agreed on both counts. :^

Well .... there's all these folks who are slating off the Beresford Mks 2-4 who haven't tried one, and there's all these folks who sing their praises who have tried one.

So ......... :zip:

BTW - I've not heard the Mk1 - but it had a teeny-weeny power supply (300mA?) and is reputed to not have been very good. The Mk2 and subsequent versions have a much more powerful (read: adequate and sufficient 1.7A) PS and a bundle of other mods and really are the mutt's cojones for any CDP under £1k (or more).

Try one before you slag it off guys!

Jerry i'd be interested to hear the Beresford sometime, but i have no use for i'm happy with my cdp. As Mossie says we've all been down this road before. The much-hyped Shek NOS DAC is the most overrated piece ofd crap i've ever heard. It was terrible imo.

In response to the original question....it could be worthwhile with the 640v2

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Jerry i'd be interested to hear the Beresford sometime, but i have no use for i'm happy with my cdp. As Mossie says we've all been down this road before. The much-hyped Shek NOS DAC is the most overrated piece ofd crap i've ever heard. It was terrible imo.

Hi Phil - yes, I've been down this road too (as you can probably guess!).

And I stay withmy recommendation for the Beresford. It really is a fine piece of kit - best DAC in the world? - no, of course not. I prefer my MF TriVista and Burmester. But it is bloody good. And simply stupid vfm. I genuinelybelieve it would significantly improve on any £1k CDP.

JANDL100 wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Hi Phil - yes, I've been down this road too (as you can probably guess!).

And I stay withmy recommendation for the Beresford. It really is a fine piece of kit - best DAC in the world? - no, of course not. I prefer my MF TriVista and Burmester. But it is bloody good. And simply stupid vfm. I genuinelybelieve it would significantly improve on any £1k CDP.

I'm not sure a dac like this can improve on a good £1k cd player. what's inside that is so special ?

I'm pretty sure it's the Mk1 I tried I've just dropped an email off to my friend to confirm. All I found it did was push vocals to the front of the soundstage to the detriment of the rest of the sonic picture. I can understand why some people would see this as an improvement. I don't.

going from a Sony DVD/sacd player I preferred the Sony WITHOUT the DAC in place. Putting my theta back in place showed the whole sonic picture and was considerably smoother and detailed, with less digital galre and brightness.

As Papa says, some of us have been bitten by the DAC bug via forum hype before - once bitten, twice shy. The NOS dac really was a piece of crap of the highest order.

I still think human nature states - I have bought a cheap component others think is great and are publicly raving about, therefore it is great and so much better than what I've got. chances are it isn't better but different.

griffo104 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the Mk1 I tried I've just dropped an email off to my friend to confirm. All I found it did was push vocals to the front of the soundstage to the detriment of the rest of the sonic picture. I can understand why some people would see this as an improvement. I don't.

Nope, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea either.

But comparing my Beresford Mk3 to the Burmester and MF TriVista DACs, the Beresford doesn't do that.

Well I have tried the Beresford, and I have to admit that it was no great shakes, used it with my £200 tuner and Roksan cdp, and while it was ok, it sounded flat and unexciting, and tbh the tuner/cdp dacs blew it away imo etc.....

s2000db wrote:

Well I have tried the Beresford, and I have to admit that it was no great shakes, used it with my £200 tuner and Roksan cdp, and while it was ok, it sounded flat and unexciting, and tbh the tuner/cdp dacs blew it away imo etc.....

Excellent - a negative report from someone who's actually tried it! Makes a change around here .... :whistle:

But it might not have been a good match for your Roksan kit, that does tend to be a bit forward - a tendency nicely balanced by your Opera speakers - so maybe the more neutral Beresford upset the balance of your system, Dana ..... or maybe you just didn't like it !! ;-)

I just dusted my superclock 4 Marantz to try with beresford on Sunday, high expectation for an improvment cause Jerry is the same guy who bring us superb value Gatham!

JANDL100 wrote:

s2000db wrote:

Excellent - a negative report from someone who's actually tried it! Makes a change around here .... :whistle:

Well I gave it a negative review after trying a previous version of it.

The DAC been running for 24hrs or so now, so whats it like now?

My 640C V2 is well and truly trounced. Its left for dust.

The sound is getting better all the time.

I sanity checked it with a mate and he agreed. I also swapped bacjk to the stock Cambridge to check too. Yup, everythings back in place. In fact, my Topfield PVR playing 192Kbps MP3 through the Beresford actually sounds better than the stock Cambridge.

As a measure of the DAC quality I guess you could look at the work Cambridge did with the V2 of this player. Dual Wolfson DACs..lots of technical stuff I couldnt be arsed getting my head round. It was a big selling point and the player is very highly reviewed across the board.

With 640C/Beresford I'm getting real up/down back/front imaging, bass is seismic, I'm hearing real air and space around instruments. I'm picking up on loads of stuff I havent heard before - overdubs in the background, plucked stings moving air etc and overall I feel as though I'm getting the benefit of my other recent upgrades more. (Gotham speaker cable/interconnect) as well as marble-slabbery under my AE109's.

As I said before, at first I thought I'd got a pre-burned in unit - what happened to the crap sound from new?

THEN- it started getting better....

This wee box of tricks really works. I haven't tried other DACS - never dabbled in 'em till this one came along in fact - so I cant really compare.

I like it. It works. I tested it.

There has been alot of fads that have came and went but in my opinion, in my system, its a major upgrade.

The Manufacturer says apparently it takes a week to fully come on song (something to do with capacitors bedding in or something) so it might get even better.

Gaz.

Would this thing work well with the optical outout of an iriver mp3 player?

Dhammavijaya wrote:

Would this thing work well with the optical outout of an iriver mp3 player?

Yes, it takes both RCA co-ax and TOSLINK optical inputs.

griffo104 wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
s2000db wrote:

Well I gave it a negative review after trying a previous version of it.

Yes, but as I posted earlier, I suspect that the MK1is quite adifferent beast from later versions- unarguable IMHO due to the major PSU upgrade, apart from any other tweakery.

Oh dear - I'm getting into my pro-Beresford rut again .... :?

.... look folks, the only reason I have been banging on about the bloody thing is that I genuinely think it is stonkingly good component at a stonkingly good price and I just want to share the Good News. Just like the Gotham cables. Surely enough folks now have tried the dang thing and posted that it is indeed a fine component and worthy of a no-risk audition from the seller? No? Ah well - your loss then.