Ian

John Wood Amps

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Great, thank you 👍🏻

B.T.W. you won't usually be able to contact him by phone, unless you are on his 'allowed' list, like me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s his prerogative I guess, but it doesn’t exactly reek of inclusive customer service especially considering there is no other form of contact suggested on his website.

i’ll take my amp to my usual engineer instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lostwin said:

That’s his prerogative I guess, but it doesn’t exactly reek of inclusive customer service especially considering there is no other form of contact suggested on his website.

i’ll take my amp to my usual engineer instead.

He will not accept posted goods, you have to take your amp to him yourself and then collect it when he has fixed it! Did you buy it from him new?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit where credit is due, I have always found John to be very responsive and accomodating.  When I wanted news valves putting in I just dropped him text and he replied give me a call.  After the call he would let me take them round most times of the afternoon/evening and he never charged me labour for revalving either.

 John is rarely about before 13:00/14:00 so dont try calling him before then.  If you didnt buy from him direct he might be more elusive.

As for valve compliments my pre came with 4 x ecc82 equivalents.   I was told from someone who has known john from start up there have been 3 different core designs of the pre.  But also each build regardless version of it being a pre/power/integrated could show individuality.

Might be better to take a close up photo of the un named valves and post a picture or take it to a local expert if you are not sure what it is

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I had heard he can offer great support, even suggestion of effectively a lifetime warranty to original purchasers. I bought mine s/h so not expecting same level of back up especially as he is a one man operation. Would have been good to have a chat though, i’ll try texting again to see if can find a mutually agreeable time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lostwin said:

Yes, I had heard he can offer great support, even suggestion of effectively a lifetime warranty to original purchasers. I bought mine s/h so not expecting same level of back up especially as he is a one man operation. Would have been good to have a chat though, i’ll try texting again to see if can find a mutually agreeable time.

Before my new KT88 (warrantied for life/except valves), I had a '6L6' in used condition and he serviced it for free with tea and biscuits. He also added: "if you have anything else you want looking at - bring that as well". A very chatty fellow! I was so impressed I ended up buying a new one from him! I don't mind taking things to him and collecting even though I am over 100 miles away, because couriers really can't be trusted with this sort of gear!! IT'S VERY HEAVY! In a nice way, he may be a little eccentric (?), some of the things he comes out with are......, but then again most brilliant people usually are a bit odd! Affectionately bizarre? (not derogatory).

Unfortunately for me, he did say to me that he prefers talking on the phone, as opposed to written messages of any kind from anywhere. Whereas I prefer written messages because it helps me to remember what has been said/discussed and you can usually attach pictures to your messages as well. Sorry John!

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turned the amp on last night and was getting a rustling/ scrunching paper sound through one speaker even with the volume turned down.  Valve on the way out?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Turned the amp on last night and was getting a rustling/ scrunching paper sound through one speaker even with the volume turned down.  Valve on the way out?

Quite possibly but it may just be a bad connection on one or more of the valve pins into the valve vases (I've had this myself). With the amps turned off, I would take out and reseat all valves in turn and then switch on to see if that eliminates the rustling.

I swapped some of my Mullard ECC83 valves with Philips JAN 12AX7's which seem a slightly looser fit in the bases in some cases. I had to reposition one or two in their bases slightly to ensure a good connection as I had the rustling sound. I did this with the amps on (moving the valves slightly in the bases rather than actually taking the valves out. Valves should never be pulled out with the amp switched on). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Turned the amp on last night and was getting a rustling/ scrunching paper sound through one speaker even with the volume turned down.  Valve on the way out?

That is a sign of a valve, but maybe there are other causes too?

My volume pot rustles too and the amp is really UNDER used, maybe it's 'dried out' inside and needs a quick squirt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Quite possibly but it may just be a bad connection on one or more of the valve pins into the valve vases (I've had this myself). With the amps turned off, I would take out and reseat all valves in turn and then switch on to see if that eliminates the rustling.

I swapped some of my Mullard ECC83 valves with Philips JAN 12AX7's which seem a slightly looser fit in the bases in some cases. I had to reposition one or two in their bases slightly to ensure a good connection as I had the rustling sound. I did this with the amps on (moving the valves slightly in the bases rather than actually taking the valves out. Valves should never be pulled out with the amp switched on). 

I use Caig Labs DeoxIt D100L-16BX with Brush Applicator.

John Wood pulled out the tubes with the amp switched ON when he serviced my 6L6 in his workshop?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleaning the pins on each valve seems to have cured the issue I was having, thanks for the suggestion 👍

Been away in London for a few days, great coming back and listening to the system again with fresh ears. Even after dropping in to hear both Spiritland systems things are sounding mighty fine.

John Wood was also in touch but bad timing for me this time, hope to speak with him soon now that I am back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I wasn’t able to keep the errant rustling noises at bay for long, so I managed to secure a low hours matched quad of Gold Lion KT88’s from a friendly Wammer. These are the same valves as were currently in the amp.

I must admit that since I have introduced the John Wood and Vida phono into the system I have had a lingering frustration that the presentation, whilst having great texture, was just a bit too laid back.

Early impressions are that the replacement valves have had a similar effect on the amp as a good double espresso. Extended listening session tonight so more to follow, might need to ask opinion about checking bias on the valves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr.Ian said:

Might????? Fixed bias circuit so bias on output valves needs adjusting when one or more is changed

My last amp was self biasing so have no experience with this. Is this something that I can realistically do myself- on this amp I understand this means turning it on its side and taking bottom cover off? Is there a good YouTube tutorial I could watch? Obviously great care needed due to voltages involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.