Ian

John Wood Amps

Super Wammer

Anyone in doubt come to our room at Kegworth in a few weeks, I'm sure JW got some orders after people heard Mark's integrated in our system last year, the monster will be back.

Posted (edited)

Another john wood fan: I have the 2018 KT88 (2 IN 1 monoblocks) in blood red!

...before that I had his 6L6.

Edited by the_doc735

I absolutely love my kt88 integrated & it did indeed make some nice noises at Kegworth last year combined with Paul's Boenicke W8s, let's see if we can manage it again this year .The best amp I've personally ever owned & by quite a margin too !! 

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, aejoker said:

I absolutely love my kt88 integrated & it did indeed make some nice noises at Kegworth last year combined with Paul's Boenicke W8s, let's see if we can manage it again this year .The best amp I've personally ever owned & by quite a margin too !! 

W8s should be with special swingbase addition this show . . . 

Just now, Maverick said:

W8s should be with special swingbase addition this show . . . 

I've heard about you & your swinging mate 🤣

• Like 1

Super Wammer

you seemed OK with sharing a bedroom last year :whistle:

Never underestimate the power of Alcohol !!

• Upvote 1

On 16/01/2019 at 10:27, aejoker said:

Mark, I am also the owner now of  JW KT88 integrated.

Would d be interested to know if you have tried any tube rolling. I have seen various suggestions on KT88’s - mine are Gold Lion. What type are the signal valves? have you tried different options on these?

Edited by lostwin
Typo

2 hours ago, lostwin said:

Mark, I am also the owner now of  JW KT88 integrated.

Would d be interested to know if you have tried any tube rolling. I have seen various suggestions on KT88’s - mine are Gold Lion. What type are the signal valves? have you tried different options on these?

Hi Richard , to be honest I've left it pretty much stock , I've only had it back to John once for revalving as I was getting some distortion , turns out that the  distortion was an issue with my digital streaming (network issues) & the amp was fine , I had John revalve it as it was about time anyway & he replaced the originals (Electro Harmonix ??) with Shuagang & all sounds great .Signal valves I've left alone  , I figure John knows what he's doing & I'll leave well alone , I'd be very interested in the results of any tube rolling you do though , who knows It might give me itchy fingers , How are you liking it so far anyway ?

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:42, aejoker said:

I've heard about you & your swinging mate 🤣

:hom::pants::)

Don't knock till you have tried it.:^

3 hours ago, aejoker said:

Hi Richard , to be honest I've left it pretty much stock , I've only had it back to John once for revalving as I was getting some distortion , turns out that the  distortion was an issue with my digital streaming (network issues) & the amp was fine , I had John revalve it as it was about time anyway & he replaced the originals (Electro Harmonix ??) with Shuagang & all sounds great .Signal valves I've left alone  , I figure John knows what he's doing & I'll leave well alone , I'd be very interested in the results of any tube rolling you do though , who knows It might give me itchy fingers , How are you liking it so far anyway ?

Generally positive so far but a bit difficult to judge as I have upgraded phono stage at same time. Speakers are a relatively difficult load and the JW gives me a bit more control but not as much difference as I was expecting compared to my 25W Audio Innovations. Having said that it doesn’t lose out musically to the AI either and the AI is very strong in that regard.

Mr Wood is proving hard to get hold of currently as I want to discuss with him thoughts on gain in the pre stage, tube options and possibility of benefits from adding the Border Patrol regulated supply to the amp as I could move it from the AI where it is currently residing. Guess I will keep trying to call / text.

3 hours ago, lostwin said:

Generally positive so far but a bit difficult to judge as I have upgraded phono stage at same time. Speakers are a relatively difficult load and the JW gives me a bit more control but not as much difference as I was expecting compared to my 25W Audio Innovations. Having said that it doesn’t lose out musically to the AI either and the AI is very strong in that regard.

Mr Wood is proving hard to get hold of currently as I want to discuss with him thoughts on gain in the pre stage, tube options and possibility of benefits from adding the Border Patrol regulated supply to the amp as I could move it from the AI where it is currently residing. Guess I will keep trying to call / text.

Yes he can be a tad elusive at times