Sign in to follow this  
rabski

Which direction?

phil is spot on with the ......diagnosis.......not yet terminal, chill out , return refreshed.

Guest sq225917

Rabski, you're on a path towards improvement, things you can detect when you listen to music, a bit better stage width, more depth, more presence, you have a dealer provided, technical merit shopping list in your head and you are slowly working towards it.

The trouble is, it's not giving you enjoyment and you should be losing yourself in the music not the details.

For sheer musical enjoyment you can't beat mid-fi, it's sad but it's true. Hifi isn't enjoyable.

Guest purplepleaser
Music is the answer. Buy new music so you don't have an expectation of the sound. Then enjoy how great your system makes it. :^

too many people forget that. When I was buying lots of tunes a month the system just played it. Now I am not buying as much I am hearing my systems faults. The good thing is I listen mostly to my mp3player with one ear pad whilst I am at work.

Rabski, you're on a path towards improvement, things you can detect when you listen to music, a bit better stage width, more depth, more presence, you have a dealer provided, technical merit shopping list in your head and you are slowly working towards it.

The trouble is, it's not giving you enjoyment and you should be losing yourself in the music not the details.

For sheer musical enjoyment you can't beat mid-fi, it's sad but it's true. Hifi isn't enjoyable.

Surely it's all in the mind whatever the playback is.

I think the problem with hi-fi as a hobby is that it doesn't have a creative output - as such. If you are a photographer you can have the best Hasselbad system but still have the challenge of taking a better picture. If you're an angler you can have the best Hardy rod but there is still the challenge of catching a bigger fish etc. That said there are of course many photographers and anglers who obsess over the equipment but with hi-fi it's all about as Rich has articulated getting that last ounce of detail out of your records or CDs. I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't really fuss about the system nor whether cables or DACs etc really make a difference, I love what it does but have actually have not much interest in hi-fi.

Really though Rich if it really interests you then why shouldn't you be thinking about you can improve it further? If it wasn't the hi-fi you'd soon find something else to stress about. Or do as I do pay less attention to it during the summer months, enjoy the garden (OK the weather isn't really on our side at the moment) and do other stuff.

Regards,

Lindsay

Rabski

Get your One Thing Audio Quad 57s back from definitive,,not perfect in hifi terms but oh so musically addictive.

I ended up with what i thought would be my dream system pair of Mac275s into Martin Logan summits,in in hifi terms great,ticked all the boxes,but I just found myself continually critically assessing its performance and not just bloody relaxing and enjoying

I found myself heading into the other room an just listening to my old ugly as fuck OTA 57s chilling and not really giving a toss about hifi.

Hell Ive even bought a fuckin turntable now and dug out my old LPs forgot how much I enjoyed Janis Ian

Another option - pop along to your local Linn/Naim/Focal dealer. In 2 minutes flat you'll be running back home for a listen to your rig!

:TheBird:

I think the problem with hi-fi as a hobby is that it doesn't have a creative output - as such. If you are a photographer you can have the best Hasselbad system but still have the challenge of taking a better picture. If you're an angler you can have the best Hardy rod but there is still the challenge of catching a bigger fish etc. That said there are of course many photographers and anglers who obsess over the equipment but with hi-fi it's all about as Rich has articulated getting that last ounce of detail out of your records or CDs. I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't really fuss about the system nor whether cables or DACs etc really make a difference, I love what it does but have actually have not much interest in hi-fi.

Really though Rich if it really interests you then why shouldn't you be thinking about you can improve it further? If it wasn't the hi-fi you'd soon find something else to stress about. Or do as I do pay less attention to it during the summer months, enjoy the garden (OK the weather isn't really on our side at the moment) and do other stuff.

Regards,

Lindsay

Interesting point and that's why the DIY aspect is what it's about for me.

Interesting point and that's why the DIY aspect is what it's about for me.

Agreed, and took the words right out of my mouth. Problem for me is that I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing!!

Agreed, and took the words right out of my mouth. Problem for me is that I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing!!

Nor does anyone to begin with. The learning is the other side of it. :)

Guest purplepleaser
Rabski

Get your One Thing Audio Quad 57s back from definitive,,not perfect in hifi terms but oh so musically addictive.

I ended up with what i thought would be my dream system pair of Mac275s into Martin Logan summits,in in hifi terms great,ticked all the boxes,but I just found myself continually critically assessing its performance and not just bloody relaxing and enjoying

I found myself heading into the other room an just listening to my old ugly as fuck OTA 57s chilling and not really giving a toss about hifi.

Hell Ive even bought a fuckin turntable now and dug out my old LPs forgot how much I enjoyed Janis Ian

I was going to say change speakers back - yes I have heard LV at Definitive on the end of 100 grands worth of kit. Just seem to lack something for me - weight I think is the best word for it. I suppose the problem lies in that room size and money come into the mix when you get to the lofty heights of your system Richard. What about some big Hecos bet they would be brilliant of the end of your system.

Richard, dear boy, rather than selling everything, follow the Coco principle and pack it all away. Then buy a really 'cheap but good' second hand system, set it up in your main living room / conservatory / study, and spend six to twelve months listening to music. It has been a solid three years since I had a 'real' system set up, and I've been making do with small 'speakers sitting in various Ikea / Habitat shelving systems in a variety of houses / flats, and quite honestly I do not miss my old system one bit. In fact, as soon as I get around to unboxing it from storage, I will sell the lot. It sounded wonderful, but the constant analysing / questioning was counter productive, and moving to a simple, honest system, set up in a normal domestic environment was the best thing I have done for my enjoyment of music in recent history. After six / twelve months, set your full system up again and see if it still lights your fire... if it does, wonderful, if it doesn't, move it on an buy more music.

As you know, I work in this crazy industry, and fabulous toys can sound epic and magical. But I know I will never, ever be able to afford the really 'special' stuff, and even if I could, I would never find the time to listen to it. Ultimately, we are all trying to find a way of making music connect with us in the same way it did when we were teenagers... and the older I get, the more convinced I am that high performance hifi gets in the way of this desire.

This is easy you need s a pair of Viva Verona XL amps - see ad. :-)

Funilly enough I'm sitting tonight listening to two bits of kit just picked up - an Audio Innovations S500 and a modded Audio Note Zero DAC.

Into the Tannoys they are singing beautifully. The music is fabulous and I've been singing along to Bach (usually something I do in the supermarket).

The little AN cost me £300 and it's easily 95% of what the 3.1 Balanced DAC is with its super-dooper PSU and megabucks Super-HIB output transformers. Meanwhile - thanks to good synergy with the Tannoys - the AI is blowing away some mega expensive stuff I've had here (I'm thinking Tom Evans Linear A for starters).

I think I know what it is - it's confounded expectation. It sounds far better than it has any damn right to - and small flaws are easily overlooked. Anyway it's the start of my to-play-with second system (in an attempt to stop fiddling with the main one) and I think I'm off to a good start. With a megabucks system, you have the same thing going on, but in reverse. High expectation, high degree of critical examination.

I've blown up my system twice now just as it was reaching what I thought was perfection (within my budget at any rate). Apart from the sale of the EARV20 (which I'm fixing) I don't really regret this - it's a bit like catching a giant fish, then releasing it back in. Thrill of the chase.

Don't know if it was ever cool anywhere to quote that once 'great' poet of the 80s, Sting, but he was fairly wise when he said:

The search for perfection

is all very well;

but to look for heaven

is to live here in hell.