Alllnic H-1500 II SE Plus

I though I should put my thoughts down on this phono stage, because there isn't much information out there and very few Allnic products out in the UK from what I can gather.

The H-1500 is a phono stage which can take both MM and MC, with the MC transformers being adjustable for gain from 10x, 15x, 20x, 30x from the top of the chassis.

The RIAA equalisation is done passively with LCR inductors. In most phono stages this is done actively, LCR is unusual and the modules themselves seem to be expensive and hard to design a decent valve circuit around, especially when dealing with unusual valves that can be microphonic. I have no idea how the LCR's modules work as it is way over my head, but people who use them tend to site them as being something special. Which is what drew my interest.

IMG_0744.jpg

As you can see it is a two chassis design, with the power supply removed to a separate box I assume to help with noise. The chassis's are really sold and heavy, nicely finished and easy to use buttons. The mute button is a god send when dropping the arm or lifting it as my integrated amp doesn't have this.

IMG_0746-1.jpg

IMG_0747-1.jpg

Couple of pictures of the insides which seem nicely arranged and a nice mixture of components, the valve bases are unusual, they have a rubber insert and when pushed the wobble around. This seems to be an Allnic thing in reducing microphony. The LCR modules are the two grey boxes close to each other on the right of the middle.

Now all the details are out of the way, on to the sound :D

Bloody awesome :^

I am really bowled over by this, it has turned my system in to what I truly believe is the best sound I have ever achieved at home and is up there in the top 10 systems I have ever heard anywhere.

It has amazing presence and dynamics while still remaining precise and crystal clear, placing sounds sharply in their correct places. Taking the most extreme sounds my system will reproduce (industrial metal and some crazy electronica) it handles the sound with extreme ease and still lays it all out so you can hear each individual part. It is the first time I have heard the texture and inner detail on some background notes of my favourite torture tracks that I take to hifi shows and bake offs. Yet this is obviously not limited to busy complicated pieces, with simple music it gets even better. Giving me a real performer in my front room feeling.

I invited a couple of people over on Sunday and they said they would pop their impressions down, so hopefully they didn't think it was :pants:

My system now makes me very very happy and the only area I am going to touch is the cartridge and possibly further down the line the arm. Other than that, I could never imagine changing my speakers, amp, phono stage or deck now.

I have my eye on a cartridge that I have heard a few times now, if it does what I think it will do to my system, then it should turn my system in to my ideal sound. Which has taken a while to find!

The only down side, is that I have spent a stupid amount of money on vinyl in the last few weeks.

If any one wants to come to haywards heath for a listen I am free on Sunday for the next five weeks.

Guest goldmund

You might want to try rolling the rectifier tube in the power supply !

Excellent! It's great when the new piece of kit lives up to (or exceeds!) your expectations. I have the H-1200 and I think that it is really very good (I use it MM with 1:100 SUT) so I would love to hear the H-1500 :)

If it's the one I have been watching £2.5K IIRC, wouldn't mind popping down Dom as your about 30 mins from me.

How much was this, Dom?

I have been using it for a while, cracking stage....enjoy

How much was this, Dom?

It is just under £4K new, 2nd hand about £2.5K. Aparrantly, the best thing Allnic, as a brand, does. I had many hours with the bigger brother H-3000V, sounded similar but with even bigger and deeper staging.

Cheers guys, and ob1 got the pricing bang on.

Anyone who wants to pop over on a sunday, drop me a pm. Would pm you, but just off out and my internet is down, having to use my phone, which takes ages.

Will look at valves some day, but I am so happy with it at the moment I would like to enjoy my system as is for a while before fiddling.

Excellent! It's great when the new piece of kit lives up to (or exceeds!) your expectations. I have the H-1200 and I think that it is really very good (I use it MM with 1:100 SUT) so I would love to hear the H-1500 :)

Hi,

I concur with Paul about the H-1200. I borrowed his phono stage at Scalford 2011 to run with my system. It was a great performer. I too used it with an external step up. I would love to hear the H-1500 as I can imagine it will be even better.

SCIDB

Hi,

I concur with Paul about the H-1200. I borrowed his phono stage at Scalford 2011 to run with my system. It was a great performer. I too used it with an external step up. I would love to hear the H-1500 as I can imagine it will be even better.

SCIDB

We just had a head to head shoot out about 2 weeks ago, the little one (1200) against the middle brother (1500), the different was not subtle.

We just had a head to head shoot out about 2 weeks ago, the little one (1200) against the middle brother (1500), the different was not subtle.

STOP IT!!!

You will cost me a bloody fortune ;-)

I had the pleasure of listening to this over a relaxed few hours at Dom's place the other week.

The system has changed a lot since the last bake off I attended, (so have the premises).

I liked the big Snell A speakers the last time I heard them but they really sing with the Beard integrated.

The Allnic is very very good indeed, it does what all real class bits of kit do, it disappears. It takes something pretty good to remove a barrier between the listener and the music, the Allnic does this. We played quite a bit of music I am very familiar with and I gradually came to realise that what I was listening to was the limitations of the cart.

Sorry Dom but that this what a serious proper upgrade does, it is a bit like building bypasses round problem areas on a big A road, you solve the problem in one place and move the bottleneck somewhere else. What seemed to be OK before becomes a problem area. As far as system development goes this is a good thing, you can be sure that you haven't sidegraded!

I would love to hear this in my system in MM mode with my SUT and Io, I think that would give me a very interesting comparison with the AN M3 phono section.

The Allnic was a very brave but very succesful move, it will stand you in good stead for a very long time and will allow any new cart you have in mind to really spread it's wings.

Nice one :^:)

You are right on the cartridge, but that is being sorted at the moment :D

Once that is in I really can't imagine the need to change anything else, at least without spending serious money! :nerves: