Sign in to follow this  
Tiggi

Recommend Something Obscure

AdamK wrote:

Following on from MIB's Lyric thread and it's current Sisters theme...............

The Sisterhood: Gift

Regards

two-five-zero-zero-zero................................

That was apparently a dig at Wayne Hussey due to Andrew Eldritch winning a court case about using the name The Sisters of Mercy, he apparantly got £25,000 compensation or court costs.... Well thats what I was told anyhow *ahem*

Gift is quite good, I just love Floodland myself.

Changing the musical genre radically, how about Sweet Shadows by Daughter Darling. Currently listening to this myself, top album. Sultry and sometimes soaring female vocals set to downtempo beats, piano, double bass and nice percussion.

New album Urban Angel is due for release soon.

You can preview some tunes here: http://www.daughterdarling.com/home.shtml

Broken Bridge is wicked and can be downloaded for free too.

Ok,so not necessarily obscure, but bloody hard to find. I got mycopy from germany via Ebay.

Testure wrote:

Here's a few more temptations to take you of the beaten track:

Skinny Puppy – ‘Last Rights’ - Come on you have to listen to them at least once.

Front 242 – ‘Front by Front’ – Classic EBM from the Belgium Meisters

Jack or Jive – ‘Kismet’ - Imagine a darker Japanese version of Cocteau twins without guitars, wonderful bewitching vocals sung in Japanese

Raison D’etre – ‘Within the Depths of Silence and Phormations’ - dark ambient industrial landscapes, always brings a tear to my eyes

Lustmord – ‘Heresy’ – Dark ambient at it’s best, imagine dreaming to low frequencies that paint pictures of deep forgotten mines/caves.

If you like any of these (hope so need more fansof this music on the forum :P), I can take you even further of that beaten track ;)

Testure

Hi Testure,

thanks for your thoughts.

Skinny Puppy & Front 242 surprised me :D. I have a beginners' taste for industrial music (NIN, Ministry), but had both of these written off as the more extreme end of the genre. Liked both, & will investigate further.

Jack or Jive & Raison D'etre have proven difficult to track down. Anyone know where I can hear music clips of these?

Lustmord is definitely interesting, but I thought this sort of thing was banned under the Geneva Convention :shocked:

Showing my age really : I saw the Sisters (with Hussey) at least twice (I think) Camden Electric Ballroom circa 1986'ish (goff tastic). I was giving Floodland a spin yesterday (see Todays Choons)

A Perfect Circle 'Mer de Noms' : didn't quite cut it versus Tool .

Type O are a personal fave and 'Bloody Kisses' is an excellent album. All their first 4 albums are brill (Slow Deep & Hard, The Origin of the Feces (!), Bloody Kisses, and October Rust) In fact these could well be appearing in Todays Choons very soon if I can persuade the wife to disappear.

The magic songwriting fairydust evaporated by the time they came out with World Coming Down and Life is Killing Me. Pete Steele was threatening to call it a day if the band did'nt break big.

You want obscure - I sold Steele's previous band's 'Carnivore'albums (vinyl) for a lot of dosh on eBay a few years back.

Regards

Dynamic Turtle wrote:

Surprised no-one has mentioned:

Mice Parade (mad guitar saudades and stuff)

Aphex Twin (think DJ Shadow, meets chemical brothers, only much better)

or Sigur Ros (Icelandic radiohead/bjorkish stuff)

All a bit strange by my standards, but eminently listenable and fascinating.

DT

Cheers, DT.

Sigur Ros I already know, but Mice Parade & Aphex Twin are both gratefully received, and warrant further investigation :D.

How about Damien Jurado (Where shall you take me or On my way to absence) - a bit like Will Oldham's weird cousin.

Or Continue by Lull - isolationst ambient drones

Nocturnes by Rainer - solo slide National Steel guitar recorded in a chapel with various echo and delay effects. Imagine John Fahey is an ex-pat East German, living in Tucson, who discovers the blues and forms a band with Howe Gelb - thus any Band of... Blacky Ranchette, Giant Sand, Black Sand or Rainer and Das Combo(mutant desert R&B withexcellent slide playing).

Anything by Sparklehorse - the missing link between Neil Young, The Velvet Underground, Howe Gelb and... just buy "It's a Wonderful Life".

Six.bySeven - Nottingham's finest angry young men, on their second and third albums anyway, which have a delightfully nasty punky edge and rock like bastards!!!

There'll be more...

Boxer.

Tiggi wrote:

Testure wrote:
Here's a few more temptations to take you of the beaten track:

Skinny Puppy – ‘Last Rights’ - Come on you have to listen to them at least once.

Front 242 – ‘Front by Front’ – Classic EBM from the Belgium Meisters

Jack or Jive – ‘Kismet’ - Imagine a darker Japanese version of Cocteau twins without guitars, wonderful bewitching vocals sung in Japanese

Raison D’etre – ‘Within the Depths of Silence and Phormations’ - dark ambient industrial landscapes, always brings a tear to my eyes

Lustmord – ‘Heresy’ – Dark ambient at it’s best, imagine dreaming to low frequencies that paint pictures of deep forgotten mines/caves.

If you like any of these (hope so need more fansof this music on the forum :P), I can take you even further of that beaten track ;)

Testure

Hi Testure,

thanks for your thoughts.

Skinny Puppy & Front 242 surprised me :D. I have a beginners' taste for industrial music (NIN, Ministry), but had both of these written off as the more extreme end of the genre. Liked both, & will investigate further.

Jack or Jive & Raison D'etre have proven difficult to track down. Anyone know where I can hear music clips of these?

Lustmord is definitely interesting, but I thought this sort of thing was banned under the Geneva Convention :shocked:

For Raison D'etre:

http://www.coldmeat.se/home.html

Go to Archive -> Sounds then Raison D'etre

There are 4 Mp3 to download (need to click on the triangle)

There from later albums, but at least it will give you an idea if you want to buy or not.

For Jack or Jive :

http://www.prikosnovenie.com/auditorium/index.html

And select from the releases drop down

If you like Skinny Puppy, there have been quite a lot of side projects over the years for you to explore: a few are Doubting Thomas, Download, Cyberaktif, Ogre

Used to listen to Lustmord when falling asleep (best time late at night in a dark room), beforeI met themisses :P

Enjoy Testure

Possibly one of the best singers and musicians this country's produced but his committment to his work has meant a very uncommercial journey since he left Japan. This album gets played at least once a week along with my usual fix of Grace by Jeff Buckley.

1060266194.jpg

This is dark raw stuff emotionally but set to a quite beautiful musical score. Production values are quite good and it has been digitally re-mastered. Standout track for me is" When the poets dreamed of Angels " but there's no fillers on it.

For fans of progressive rock. try Cerulean Blue by Rain.