Sign in to follow this  
Tiggi

Recommend Something Obscure

I've tried this on other fora:

I'm well aware that there's more excellent music out there than I can find easily. All of us have some obscure gems amongst our album collections, so tell me all about yours :Coool:.

Here's a couple to get things going:

- Brides byAnnabel Lamb: Sophisticated soft rock from disappeared artist

- The Mollusk by Ween: Hard-to-classify American alternative/indie duo

You may not think these are obscure, but someone may benefit. Now you tell me yours :):).

Dawn of the Replicants - Touching the Propellor

All their albums are good. Listen to their new single http://www.mediafolk.co.uk/dotr/website/mp3/Little_Driver.mp3

www.dawnofthereplicants.com

Injector wrote:

The Nephilim - Fields Of The Nephilim. Different as hell and a corker. Contains elements of classical music, gregorian chants androck.

Hi Injector,

I do remember this lot, and the scorn with which they were treated by the music press. I've heard a little of their stuff before without being particularly impressed, but having listened to some clips on AMG, I'll have to get a copy. Cheers.

Tiggi wrote:

Miller-8 wrote:
Dawn of the Replicants - Touching the Propellor

Hi Miller-8,

Good suggestion. Like these a lot. Heard the name, but not the music.

Thanx. :cool:

Cool. I saw them live last year in a small venue in Edinburghand they were amazing. Their new album is due for release in JanuaryI think.

Second the recommendation for Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium is their best effort IMO.

For a more obscure dip into similar waters, try Lacrimosa, especially Elodia and Echos.

Injector wrote:

Elizium has a few good tracks but I never understand it when people say it's better than The Nephilim. It's like a watered-down version to me.:Not Sure:

They are both good albums, I agree. To my mind The Nephilim was a bit of a mish-mash of the earlier, harder-edged Dawnrazor sound and the more introspective Elizium.

My fave Neff cut has to be the 16-minute live segue of Dead but Dreaming/For Her Light/At the Gates of Silent Memory at the beginning of the excellent Earth Inferno live album. :)

I await the forthcoming Mourning Sun with some interest!

meninblack wrote:

Second the recommendation for Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium is their best effort IMO.

For a more obscure dip into similar waters, try Lacrimosa, especially Elodia and Echos.

Had a brief listen to Lachrimosa. Sounds interesting :). I'll have to polish up my German, though. Cheers.

Super Wammer

Ben Harper Diamonds on the inside.

OK folks, here's some more stuff you won't find in HMV :cool:

Black Tape for a Blue Girl - a darker Dead Can Dance. Titles like Remnants of a Deeper Purity, Ashes in the Brittle Air and As One Aflame, Laid Bare by Desire will give you some idea where they're coming from.

Dresden Dolls - If you liked the music in Cabaret you'll love them. Only one proper album so far (self titled), but one to watch.

Drive-by Truckers - Alabama blues rock, with attitude. Skynard, Neil Young fans will be impressed.

L'Ame Immortelle - Euro Goth Metallers from Germany. Patchy, but Gezeiten from last year is well worth a listen.

Pzychobitch - crazy name, crazy gal. German EBM.

The Gathering - hey, a Dutch band that isn't Golden Earring. 2003's Souvenirs is my favourite.

Should keep you going for a while. :dude:

Injector wrote:

The Nephilim - Fields Of The Nephilim. Different as hell and a corker. Contains elements of classical music, gregorian chants androck.

I second this. FOTN are awesome, particularly Earth Inferno, takes me back a few years..... Got all there releases to date, including the more industrial Nefilim stuff.

As for recommending somehting different myself....

A mate popped up for the weekend with loads of CD's including VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, Convenant, all interesting stuff.....