DeCameron

RIP. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

A beautiful voice and a great life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18118722

Just posted this in the classical section. A long listening session tonight I think, in happy memory.

[video=youtube;ayIrOHMKFFQ]

Just posted this in the classical section. A long listening session tonight I think, in happy memory.

[video=youtube;ayIrOHMKFFQ]

..with the king of accompanists, Gerald Moore. Moore's comment on DF-D was that it took only a few moments to realise that one was in the presence of a master.

Super Wammer

One of the greats, will be missed but what a legacy !

k

DFD used his lyric voice with great musicanship. I cherish his recorded Wagner roles, especially the magnificentTelramund with Kempe which I have yet to hear a more compelling and sinister interpretation elsewhere. Personally I prefer a heartier baritone voice like Bryn Terfel's but DFD always managed to infuse gravitas even in roles that were a tad heavy for his voice - like Jokanaan and Hans Sachs.

(I would avoid his Italian outings though, like the elder Germont in Maazel's La traviata. Never found him Italianate-sounding at all).

I bought his DG 'Winter Journey' in 1990 but despite a couple of repeat listenings, I have never been turned on to this Lieder. (maybe operatic failrure Schooby's to be blamed) This weekend I will dust off that old CD and have a listen again.

RIP

SS

(I would avoid his Italian outings though, like the elder Germont in Maazel's La traviata. Never found him Italianate-sounding at all).

Bit like Emma Kirkby singing German :zip:

I bought his DG 'Winter Journey' in 1990 but despite a couple of repeat listenings, I have never been turned on to this Lieder. (maybe operatic failrure Schooby's to be blamed) This weekend I will dust off that old CD and have a listen again.

If I were to pick one single CD of DFD doing Lieder it would be one of his last, a Schubert recital with Brendel. Majestic in every way.

Some of the early stuff on vinyl is spectacular - when he was still essentially a romantic lyric baritone but I'm not sure much of it is available on CD. I suspect (but couldn't confirm) that a lot of them are here. This was before he pushed the voice at the extremes and before some of his mannerisms really developed (not that he was a self-consciously quirky singer in the way that Schwarzkopf was).

Ok Tom, in homage to DFD, I will give that Schubert CD a try. Maybe it will be the magic catalyst that turns me into a Schubert Lieder lover.:love::P

Ms Kirby deserves her reputation as a very fine non-operatic soprano. But nothing she recorded is indispensable for me as she specializes in the sexless, unsexy repertoire of those ancient white-wigged composers. Tones' pin-up girl, she is.:D

SS

Ok Tom, in homage to DFD, I will give that Schubert CD a try. Maybe it will be the magic catalyst that turns me into a Schubert Lieder lover.:love::P

Ms Kirby deserves her reputation as a very fine non-operatic soprano. But nothing she recorded is indispensable for me as she specializes in the sexless, unsexy repertoire of those ancient white-wigged composers. Tones' pin-up girl, she is.:D

SS

I remember her at music college. She was well sexy then.

:love:

It's sad that we are prompted to try things again as a consequence of the great man dying. For me it was having another go at the Shostakovich Michelangelo Suite. I have never before found a way into this dark hued music, but last night the door opened a crack and phrases here and there started to make sense to me. I have a feeling that this is going to be a lengthy, but rewarding, journey.