Sign in to follow this  
nixon_fiend

'cheer' amplifiers

Guest Alex A

USD$699 retail?

So it should be £400 here. Who's been ripped off already?

. Hell the specs and components inside are prolly different. Most brands made in China but designed abroad find themselves competing with lower specced Chinese equivalents. If i remember rightly the same thing happend with the DK designs amp.

Linkl removed. Trojans on site.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vtv/vtv.html (bottom of page)

my guess is that the chinese factory putting these together has a standard case/chassis that can be bought for a lot less than a specially designed one, and the designer can then specify components, circuit etc.Using the standard casing keeps costs down I suppose.

the Cheer 6550 outputs 30W in Triode mode and supposedly 60W in Ultralinear. That's a lot of power from 4 6550s, likely Class AB (guessing a lot in Class B).

the same looking amps can probably be bought in china as well, again with different components and circuit.

how they all sound though is something I can't answer, but the designer's input is obviously the most important aspect, not the similar looks.

Anthony wrote:

http://www.cheeramps.com

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vtv/vtv.html (bottom of page)

my guess is that the chinese factory putting these together has a standard case/chassis that can be bought for a lot less than a specially designed one, and the designer can then specify components, circuit etc.Using the standard casing keeps costs down I suppose.

the Cheer 6550 outputs 30W in Triode mode and supposedly 60W in Ultralinear. That's a lot of power from 4 6550s, likely Class AB (guessing a lot in Class B).

the same looking amps can probably be bought in china as well, again with different components and circuit.

how they all sound though is something I can't answer, but the designer's input is obviously the most important aspect, not the similar looks.

Nah Athony its just much easier to post a pic and price( for shock value)without doing any of the homework you've just done;)

Ok for owners of the Puresound A30 I have spoken to the designer and got this information. The company makes amps for three companies using the same casing. Cheeramps is one of these.

All these amps are different depending on what the customer has specced. In effect then ,transformers,critical,components,Class A operation,circuit details ,feedback settings ,etc.

Every unit is then quality controlled once it arrives here by the designer himself where actually some personal extra modifications are added and the rescrewed together. These amps are then sold through dealer network which affords them the chance to be demo'd and also provides valuable first hand back up if anything should go wrong.

Alot of these amps abroad are sold direct with much cheaper components and very litlle in the way of back up.

As Anthony said the closest variant is a 60 Watt CLASSB AMP with different output transformers,different mainstransformers,more feedback,different components ,biasing , need i go on.

At the end of the day folks, you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Nah Athony its just much easier to post a pic and price( for shock value)without doing any of the homework you've just done;)

Homework? I don't see homework.. just some self-assuring assumptions.

I don't mean to disenchant puresound owners but I see so much re'badging/rebranding (repricing!) in hifi that it pisses me off that people get conned.

Duvet wrote:

Every unit is then quality controlled once it arrives here by the designer himself where actually some personal extra modifications are added and the rescrewed together. These amps are then sold through dealer network which affords them the chance to be demo'd and also provides valuable first hand back up if anything should go wrong.

A

:D

oh there's the price premium

thanks for the info though. good to know

Ok we won't see eye to eye on this so see ya but take my statement as a whole a doon't cherry pickcomments out of context if you are going to quote me please.

Duvet wrote:

Ok for owners of the Puresound A30 I have spoken to the designer and got this information. The company makes amps for three companies using the same casing. Cheeramps is one of these.

All these amps are different depending on what the customer has specced. In effect then ,transformers,critical,components,Class A operation,circuit details ,feedback settings ,etc.

Alot of these amps abroad are sold direct with much cheaper components and very litlle in the way of back up.

As Anthony said the closest variant is a 60 Watt CLASSB AMP with different output transformers,different mainstransformers,more feedback,different components ,biasing , need i go on.

At the end of the day folks, you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

;)

Oh I think we can see eye to eye! As you say, you've done the homework, and sure enough .. these are apparently different amps... better components = more money (except.. isn't the main cost of a valve amp casework, transformers and valves? which appear to be the same?) nevermind the splashes of nichicon.. anyways I digress.. It just raises a wry smile when I see 'personal mods' and the like to justify a price hike .. point in case - the stello DA100 dac .. £350 (+taxes) direct.. or buy from russ andrews with 'personal attention to the power supply' for £599

cynical old bean am i

Guest murray johnson

It's a free market. The simple answer is, if you see something abroad that you'd like, and you can get it at the right voltage then bring it in yourself. If when you get it, you don't like the sound of it or it goes wrong then you've lost less (although you might not have bought it if you'd listened first)

Alot of people do this with cartridges now. Trouble is, as a result its almost impossible to dem cartridges anywhere so you are buying blind/unheard. Not ideal really.

Why do you think there isn't a Shelter distributor here? There should be, they are great cartridges.