lee1975

Snell Type C.

I thought Tony had A/II not A/III. A/III are physically larger & use a 12" rather than 10" bass driver if memory serves.

That's what I read. I believe they have a different tweeter too, the A-III tweeter is the same as on the E-III as they could no longer get the A-II tweeters, that's what I read anyway. Given my missus' reaction to the size of the A-IIs I'm fairly glad I never got the A-IIIs...

Not sure just Snell A there are a few versions

Some useful info & pics here.

http://www.snell.no/the_archives.htm

The last Peter Snell models were K, J/II, E/II, C and A/IIIi

I'm not sure about the Ci or what the change was but they look very similar to the C. It may just have been an additional rear firing tweeter

EDIT. It appears to have a different tweeter & the port has moved (presumably to the rear?)

Are the A III's really that good or just so collectable? Are Snell still going and if so what is there modern stuff like?

saw a huge pair once in Kronos about 8 years ago, oak finish big and square, do not what they were but looked vintage and big.

great you love them it is fantastic when you finally get the sound you want, was same for me wityh my LV's but still hanker after a pair of AN e's after hearing them several times at shows, amazing things.

A/IIIi just took his ideas & design approach as far as it went. Had he not died suddenly, there's no doubt he would have gone on from there.

The Type 1 was the strange one. Only saw/heard a pair once. Interesting design with tweeter almost at floor level and a curved 'shoe' in front. The tweeter didn't sound as if it was at floor level at all.

The interesting stuff really stopped in about 1988-9

great you love them it is fantastic when you finally get the sound you want, was same for me wityh my LV's but still hanker after a pair of AN e's after hearing them several times at shows, amazing things.

Thats what got me started. Hearing the Audionote made me want them or the snells. I am not dissapointed to have got the Type C's. They are truly the best speakers I have had and I have had some good ones. B&W matrix, Living voice, Epos, HSM's. And I can say that after only a few hours with them. You should hunt down a pair of Snell E's to play with as they cost a lot less than Audionote E's then possibly go for AN later.

Some friends of mine had the Ci models, driven by a pair of Edison A12 stereo power amps, which sounded absolutely stunning. After the AII that I had at the time they were my favourite Snells. The K were lovely, the Js ok but with a bit of a wobbly bottom, and I never really got on with the Es, just too much posterior.

Great review, have fun.

Hi Lee

Glad you are enjoying them!

I use Snell Type AII although they do not have the rear tweeter which probably makes them an A1.5, the label on the back say AII but other AII's I have seen have the rear tweeter.

I have another pair of Type C's which I am considering moving on if anyone is interested.

Hi Lee

I have another pair of Type C's which I am considering moving on if anyone is interested.

Hi there

I'm certainly interested.

Could you kindly PM details through, model, condition, price, possibly photos?

Thanks

Steve

The K were lovely, the Js ok but with a bit of a wobbly bottom, and I never really got on with the Es, just too much posterior.

Interesting, kind of my thoughts too. I have Ks and really like them. I bought a pair of E's to compare but straight away found them too much in the bass dept. The Ks seemed to be better balanced between everything.

I recently heard Deans (scidb) J's and they were really nice. Just an overall bigger sound. I may try to track down a pair of those for a longer comparison to my Ks. But I dont need more bass if I lose the tightness of the overall sound.

Steve

Sorry, Jack (BigDur) got in before you and will be on first refusal. I should be having a phone conversation with him this morning so can advise later.

Rgds

Bloody hell, you've got to be quick in this game. :D

No worries, thanks