lee1975

Snell Type C.

Well collected them this morning and I have been giving them a dam good thrashing over the past 6 to 7 hours. They have replaced the excellent HSM's in my system.

The specs are 90db 4ohm with amp rating between 40 to 400. My amp is 72wpc with huge transformers so no problems drivng them at all.

The speakers are well built and were made in 1986. They look quite nice in the Mahogany finish when the grills are in place but not the prettiest speakers with them off. They have a 10inch bass that extends down to 20Hz A 5inch mid and two 1inch tweeters. One on the front and one on the back. They are front ported. I set them up about 7 to 8 feet apart and around a foot and and a half away from the back wall with no tow in.

Sound wise Hmmmmm, They are incredible speakers and my jaw is still on the floor it really is. Top end is airy and spacious and well detailed. They mids are lovely nothing is rammed down your throat vocals are simply incredible and hang in the air. The bass is big fast and my god you want tight ? Well they give the tightest and most taunt full bass I have had in any of my systems and only ounce before have I heard bass as tight. Really well defined as well.

But what impressed me the most from this the way this three way speaker is how well it integrates. The bass does not swap the mids and the mid does not swamp the top end at all. Very well balanced and life like presentation with great dynamics.

They have had the bass drivers re-done and cable changed with Audionote Lexus. Also they have been recapped and in very nice condition.

I will have to have a bake off this year as I think you will be very impressed with the speakers.

I tried lots of music from Rock to Electronic. The Prodigy(Fat of the land) smack my bitch up. I sat back and waited for what seems and age for that evil bass line to kick and I was expecting the walls to rattle but no! the bass was so tight but still big and controlled put a huge smile on my face and talk about a speaker that is effortless you got it. It handled the music with such ease and grace but managing to sound full boiled with plenty of attack in the upper bass.

Leftfield(Leftism) was next up. This album has some mad sounds that can if the speaker cant play complex pieces sound muddled and confused. None of that when I played the track Melt. Spacious sound, easy to pick out the sounds separation and sound staging were first class. big head room as well.

Norah Jones up next good female vocal tester. Sweet voice very extended never getting harsh at high volumes. The piano work was a delight to hear. Rock solid imaging. The double bass is used in one track and sounds big and fast and so real.

They are truly a wonderful speaker and easy to accommodate as well despite being a pretty big speaker. I have fell in love with my music collection all over again.

Good times.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Nice. Are they C's with the sloping fronts or the Cii's, big oblong boxes that I had for years? I ran mine off a 7W 2A3 PSE. If they have already been worked on and you decide they are keepers well worth having Guy at Puresound give them a tweak to see if he can get any more of the original magic out of them. Mine were originals but I went 300 miles to pick them up and when I got there, in the days before the Wam, email and digital photos I found they were Cii's and not C's. I bought them anyway and enjoyed them for years. Great speakers. Well done.

Yoda, They have the slopped front. but they are very late ones as early ones do not have the tweeter on the back as mine do. I spoke to guy at Puresound and told him what had been done and he knew the guy who worked on them and he told be they would be fine so that was good to know before I brought then. The Snells will no be going any place.

Super Wammer

Result :^:D

• Upvote 1

Driver integration is the strength of all these designs. A/III, now that's the one to find!

So far :shock::D:D:D Only had about 7 hours with them though. Will stick a review up when I have had a chance to fully evaluate them.

BTW - we need photos!!!

A handful of pairs were sold in the UK, quite a few more in Denmark & Sweden (and of course the USA)

Tony who I got my C's off uses a pair as well.

I thought Tony had A/II not A/III. A/III are physically larger & use a 12" rather than 10" bass driver if memory serves.