Guest Fergie

Guidance about cartridges for Rega RP3

Although I have no previous experience of Rega equipment I am thinking about getting one of these turntables which replaces the P3 - 24 model. After reading up a bit about it and the P3 there seems to be a diversity of opinion as to the Rega cartridges with some people saying that they are the weak point and others that it is the ideal combination i.e. the Elys 2 which is normally fitted. I hope to get a demo soon but am wondering if a better option might be to have an Ortofon 2M Blue or an Ortofon OM 20. The reasons for considering a Rega TT are that they appear to be good quality, have a solid reputation and believed to represent excellent value for money in their price ranges.

What do you wammers think and any other suggestions would be gratefully received? Many thanks.

Fergie

How much are you planning to spend on the Rega turntable? Have you considered something pre-owned?

If you are moving away from Rega cartridges, you will need a 2mm 3 point spacer as the cartridges which no doubt that will be recommended will be taller in the cartridge body....

Dynavector 10x5

Goldring 1042

Ortofon 2m Red

All the above have a good reputation working with the Rega arms. Obviously budget/phonostage dependent of course :^

Super Wammer

the dl110 works very well on the Rega's. The only Rega MM I would suggest would be the exact. It really depends on the phono stage you have.

How much are you planning to spend on the Rega turntable? Have you considered something pre-owned?

I could probably save a bit of money by looking for something pre-owned but I'm not well enough versed in the black arts of setting up a TT and just want to hear a proper demo from my local dealer and get him to set it all up for me. Budgeting a max of 600 quid for TT and cartridge.

I'm sure there are a few people on the forum who could help you out getting a turntable and setting it up. Maybe post something in the classifieds and see if something interesting comes up.

I could probably save a bit of money by looking for something pre-owned but I'm not well enough versed in the black arts of setting up a TT and just want to hear a proper demo from my local dealer and get him to set it all up for me. Budgeting a max of 600 quid for TT and cartridge.

Hi fergie,

i have a rega planar 3 (got into vinyl a few years ago, upgraded to a Townsend rock, and have gone back to the simplicity of a planar 3 again). The biggest adv of the Rega's is that there is very little to go wrong and as a result are very easy to set up (no black arts here!!). For instance today I have 'serviced' my planar 3 by spending £4 on a new belt and by cleaning the bearing and topping up with transmission fluid, as a result it sounds awesome and is back to beating my cd setup!

As for carts I use a dynavector 10x5 which although on the expensive side of things for a rega 3 sounds sublime. An option for you is to pick up a 2nd hand original planar 3 off eBay for less than £200 with a rb300 arm (most have these) and go from there - because they are so simple unless it has been totally abused they are a very safe bet. I bought my original one for £175 and then took it to a dealer to set up - he put in a new bearing for a few quid and it sounded great, I would argue that there would be little difference between a new and original one (although I'm sure somebody will be along soon to complain!).

Anyway, food for thought. Less spent on the turntable means more on the cart and a poss phono stage upgrade. Because they are so simple (but sound fab) they encourage a little fiddling about with and as such are a very good place to start.

Thanks for all the various recommendations and suggestions - it's given me food for further thought as to what may be the best way to go. Initially I don't want to have to spend more money to buy a phono stage for a MC cartridge and would rather leave that as an upgrade option, as and when possible.

Many thanks.

Fergie

Hi fergie,

The biggest adv of the Rega's is that there is very little to go wrong and as a result are very easy to set up (no black arts here!!). For instance today I have 'serviced' my planar 3 by spending £4 on a new belt and by cleaning the bearing and topping up with transmission fluid.

But this is true of any (non-suspended) TT.

You can get the MP110 on ebay for about £90, nice cartridges for the money. I like mine, smooth with authority and not fatiguing like some MMs and lower end High output MC's can be.

How do they compare to higher output lower end MCs?

But this is true of any (non-suspended) TT.

Yes, you are absolutely right.....but the thread is about Rega's, there are lots about and they sound great for the money :)

Have a look at the AT440MLa cartridge, moving magnet, I just fitted one to a Dual 504 tt and love the sound it makes.

Only my tuppence worth input.