Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

liffy99

Box or Dipole ?

Been switching back and forth between two speakers, trying to decide which to keep. Front end is server-based Squeezebox Touch (tweaked with wireless bridge and Toolbox mods) feeding Lyngdorf 2200 / 2175 combo and Lyngdorf corner woofers.

My Perigee FK1 s (ribbon hybrid floor standees from the Apogee stable I believe) or Final 400i 'stats.

The Perigees are more efficient, brighter, better at out and out macro dynamics and can manage the bottom end quite happily on their own. The Finals have the edge on 3d imaging and depth, a tad more micro detail and dynamics, and with the Lyngdorf keeping any low bass away from them, play plenty loud enough. But they are unusable without the woofers !

I've always had a soft spot for planars as they just 'disappear' like no other design, but could do with a bigger room to give them space to breath. This combination is the best yet I think (never could get the Prodigies to give of their best). And the Finals win out on WAF !

Ho hum - back to a bit more cable swapping . . .

I've been struggling with the same decision - and also use a Lyngdorf 2200.

Other things being equal, I'd always choose dipoles. The different tonal and spatial presentation which dipole operation tends to create just sounds so much more right to my ears. However other things aren't always equal: there are almost always issues of space, size/domestic acceptability, room matching etc.

Due to being in the middle of a complicated relocation, I'm currently using Harbeth M30s most of the time. Recently acquired Quad 57s have taken up residence in what will be my main listening room, (currently weekends only) while my Dali Skylines are currently being stored. I'm not sure how it'll all shake out once the dust settles.

Super Wammer

I have tried both and have ended up with boxes. Dipoles always sound more spacious but, of course, this spaciousness is created by the back radiation bouncing off the back wall, i.e. is an addition by the speaker of something not on the record. With rock music and most classical it is a lovely effect but with live recordings, which I love, it doesn't work right. So for me I sacrifice the spaciousness of dipoles (I imagine omnis add even more of the listening room acoustic, but I haven't tried them) in order for my live albums to sound better...

I have tried both and have ended up with boxes. Dipoles always sound more spacious but, of course, this spaciousness is created by the back radiation bouncing off the back wall, i.e. is an addition by the speaker of something not on the record. With rock music and most classical it is a lovely effect but with live recordings, which I love, it doesn't work right. So for me I sacrifice the spaciousness of dipoles (I imagine omnis add even more of the listening room acoustic, but I haven't tried them) in order for my live albums to sound better...

It's misleading to say that the reflected back wave is an addition of something not on the record. All speakers will radiate sound in a spatial pattern, generating room reflections which reach the ears after the direct sound. With dipoles the pattern is generally less frequency dependent than with boxes, which are pretty much omni in the bass, and highly directional in the high treble. Baffle step response of boxes alters the radiation pattern, and there's usually a 'bulge' in the power response where the tweeter comes in. Dipoles not only tend to have a less variable radiation pattern with frequency, they actually radiate less sound into the room (relative to the direct sound) at lower frequencies - and its at low frequencies that room modes are most likely to muck things up. All speakers create room reflections - dipoles just create a less harmful, more beneficial pattern of reflections.