Chris-_007

phono stage recommendations around £300

Hi All,

Now that I've finished my Thorens t/t I'll be looking to add a decent phono stage into the mix when funds allow, possible over the next month or two.

I'm currently using the Thorens with a Denon DL110 but may upgrade this one day. The phono stage will be connected to my XTZ Integrated.

I have absolutely no experience with phono stages so I'm looking for some good advice here.

I've seen Angle Audio are selling their Reference range for £270 and I've seen a used Trichord Diablo for £350ish. Are these any good and what others should I be on the look out for.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Try finding a Tom Evans Microgroove or a Microgroove+, the first one should be around ~300£ +-30£ and the later one a little bit more used. GREAT phonostage even at retail price! Have a MG+ myself.

I've owned a Puresound P10 but much prefer the Dynavector P75mk2 which replaced it. Much lower noise floor and therefore much more detailed.

The Angle Audio gear is good, I didn't know he now had a "Reference" 'stage. His £150 "audiophile + battery PSU" setup is certainly excellent and well worth a trial.

Angle Audio is good -I have the battery stage set up specifically for a Denon DL110.

Given my limited experience, Stewart is right re the Graham Slee stages too. I used a Gram amp 1 which was far superior to the PhonoBox SE, Phonobox 2 stages it replaced.

I tried my "audiophile" Angle Audio with battery PSU against a Graham Slee Amp2 at Paul Pac67's place - the AA was significantly better, imo, with the Amp2 sounding a bit bland and lifeless in comparison

I tried my "audiophile" Angle Audio with battery PSU against a Graham Slee Amp2 at Paul Pac67's place - the AA was significantly better, imo, with the Amp2 sounding a bit bland and lifeless in comparison

The G Slee amp is up for sale having been replaced by the AA :-):^

In the £350 bracket you should be able to find a Graham Slee Era Gold V with PSU-1.

MM only but produces a lovely clear, detailed, well balanced sound which I much prefered to other stages in the price bracket that I tried (P10, Dino, DV75).

For sound per pound the Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3 is hard to beat with a MM/HOMC.

They go for around £125 (used) which is a bargain.

Also in this price range you could have a new Lehmann Black Cube (statement version) which punches well above its weight.

The original Black Cube is even better again but they're hard to find on the used market and run £450 new.

... avoid the Dino with standard PSU. Horrible. Needs an NCPSU or similar to do justice to the excellent circuit design, whereupon it transforms into something pretty darn wonderful.

2nd hand Linn Linto without a doubt. There are a few knocking about since Uphorik etc. came out. It certainly is an enjoyable listen.

Of course it is MC only.

I agree with JANDL re the Dino, with the upgrades psu, dont get the very expensive lead, it is very close to the Graham Slee Jazz Club. Although it doesn't have the eq change facility.

S