rocker65

What is Your Oldest Bit?

Guest chris217

A pair of Quad 57 electrostatics from the early 70s. (I really ought to sell them, but just cannot bring myself around to do this.)

Gale GS401b speakers - 1975. In daily use now, but I haven't had them for long, and they've been restored, so they didn't function for the whole of their life.

Also BGW 750b amplifier - 1978, looks like it's probably had regular use all that time and still works perfectly and sounds great.

Are the gales the wood ones nick?

A pair of Hytron VT-52 valves from the 1940's on my Graaf amp, not used that regularly.

Sansui 250 from the 1960's, used nearly every day.

Are the gales the wood ones nick?

Haha, yess, - I bet myself if I mention them on here, you'll ask me something about them pretty quick :D

Yes they are the wood ones - none of your chrome business. I think they look great though. The guy who restored them has sanded and oiled the cabinets. They are sublime speakers, seriously. I don't think I'll ever part with them. The B incarnation of the 401 is seriously rare, apparently, so I think I'm lucky to have them.

A pair of Leak TL12.1 power amp's KT66 versions 1949.

HMV Stereoscope 555 intergrated amplifier 1959.

A pair of Quad 11 power amp's 1967.

Guest PaulStewart

My 12" Monitor Golds in their Lockwood cabinets circa. 1968. I also have a couple of condenser and ribbon mics from the late 50s.

Haha, yess, - I bet myself if I mention them on here, you'll ask me something about them pretty quick :D

Yes they are the wood ones - none of your chrome business. I think they look great though. The guy who restored them has sanded and oiled the cabinets. They are sublime speakers, seriously. I don't think I'll ever part with them. The B incarnation of the 401 is seriously rare, apparently, so I think I'm lucky to have them.

Was offered a pair a few years ago but was skint.

Always wanted a pair of the chrome ones...nice find.

Some 112 triodes on the input of my power amp. They'd be from the late 20's & still sound fine. Otherwise, Leak Troughline from the 50's. Ortofon SL15 (receipt from 1968) and there are other old cartridges from Tannoy & GE that will date from the 50's aswell I'd guess. Also a Shure M3D and an SPU here which are probably 60's vintage.

A&R a60