Sign in to follow this  
Brown Bottle

John Peel

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned that it is John Peel day today, the first anniversary ofthe great manslast broadcast.

Dawn of the Replicants are playing in Edinburgh tonight at some John Peel gig. They have a new album out in January if anyone's interested. www.dawnofthereplicants.com

Totally agree Chezi, a great loss :( The number of bands he pioneered beggars belief when you look back at them. I cannot conceive of anyone replacing him in the modern media environment, which is a great loss to music and will undoubtedly have consequences for many an up and coming band.:(

Peely is not just a loss to the music world but a loss to humanity. His way of treating people without condesention or self importance was a lesson for us all.

It was a sad day when he died so suddenly and relatively young.

Guest earl of sodbury

Stayed glued to R1 as long as exhaustion and irritatingly avuncular DJs would allow.

It was the first time I've listened to R1 since he died... :(

Sent them the following text, which surprisingly didn't get read-out ;)

"Wonderful to hear the Great Man's voice and music on air again, but the tribute he would really appreciate would benew programming from Aunite that featuresa lot more music from eclectic and breaking bands and a lot less ego-driven DJ yap. Big love all."

I may be a grumpy, misanthropic old git, but am I wrong?

churz, eofs

earl of sodbury wrote:

Stayed glued to R1 as long as exhaustion and irritatingly avuncular DJs would allow.

"Wonderful to hear the Great Man's voice and music on air again, but the tribute he would really appreciate would benew programming from Aunite that featuresa lot more music from eclectic and breaking bands and a lot less ego-driven DJ yap. Big love all."

churz, eofs

NO !

Nail................Head.

Good on yer EoS.:^:^:^:^:^

chezi.

earl of sodbury wrote:

churz, eofs

Spot on my friend :^:^:^:^

Guest earl of sodbury

Cheers guys, nice toconfirm it's not just me.

The one thing Peely had right, above all considerations of taste (Jawbone :puke:) etc., was he knew when to STFU and only VERY rarely talked over intros and outros.

The fact that he was a modest, and hugely knowledgeable man with a deep love for musicwas what made him personally likeable, but it was the simple fact he let the music do the talking that was the root of his brilliance. Seems so simple, but can you think of a single R1 "jock" that can keep his/her stupid, self-obsessed, fatuous, ignorant, drivelling fucking gob shut when required?

Last night I had Holly Golightly onrepeat on the CDP to cut-in instantly those slack-jawed jack-asses started-up their verbal monkeyspanking...

churz, grumpyoldgit of sodbury

No No No.........He Who Speaks The Truth of Sodbury.:)

I'm amazed Jo Whilley never got anything to do with this as IMO she learned her trade from THE MAN. and her taste and opinions aint that far away.

Feck I'm gettin aw sentimental noo (raises pint of cider ) "TO JOHN PEEL always in my music collection":cool:

chezi.

I agree with sodders points re Radio 1, and the sentiments from all else above re JP.

A great man because he never tried to be great.

A great man because he loved the under dog.

A great man because he was brave enough to be himself .