ATT

Best arm for a Valdi and Decca London Export

As thread title.

Opinions sought for an arm to go on a Voyd Valdi to hold a Decca London Export.

TIA

A nice solid unipivot. An Audiocraft AC3000 or AC4000 series arm would be ideal (IMO) or perhaps one of the Graham arms inspired in part by the Japanese arm. Other arms of solid construction, unipivot based would be good also.

The Decca has less than usual internal damping levels, or did have originally, this is why it is accurate but sensitive. I would expect an arm with damping potential would be best, with the Townshend Rock style and Well-Tempered probably being best of all, though I don't know it they are still available separately. Several good conventional arms are available with damping provision.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Will investigate. Although I've not got on with unipivots in the past.

Super Wammer

Audio technica AT1100, Mayware Formula 4, Fidelity Research FR64s, Linn Itok . The thing with a Decca is it is an anomaly, it wants some mass but not too much it may want some damping but that depends on the Mass of the arm it is being used in. I have heard Deccas working successfully in the arms I have quoted. I have also heard it works well in Audio Origami arms. I think the damping is more about how well the bearings in the arm work - the decca produced a lot of energy and if there iis any slack in the bearings then they may chatter.

I had mine in an Audio Technica AT1100 until it the arm died and loved the combination. I am currently using it in a Rega RB250 with michelle technoweight but although it seems to work ok it has me on the edge of my chair worrying at times but so far manages to hold on. I am looking to source another AT1100 as like you, my wife cannot get on with a unipivot. Having said that the best I ever heard one working was in a Mayware Formula 4.

Hope that helps.

I was thinking the same Zoltm.

But a Hadcock would be equally nice. You lucky man, has a SC4E.......... ;-)

Many thanks again. The Valdi currently has an RB250 on it which I'm considering sending to Audio Origami. I'm quite happy with how it's sounding with the Decca on board. Not sure about a unipivot on a suspended TT? I've had Hadcocks and Maywares in the past but only on solid TTs. The AT option sounds attractive. Wouldn't the FR64 be too heavy for the Valdi suspension, it looks a beast of an arm? The Decca International is worth looking into, thanks.

Hadcocks aren’t a problem on suspended decks. I’ve had mine on a TD160, TD125 and a Logic DM101 - no problem. I like the AT1100 too. I had mine paired with a Micro Seiki LC80W in the 80s - lovely. Sadly the Micro is long gone, but I still have my AT1100 in storage.

I've just acquired a Voyd Valdi and have mounted my re-wired RB300 with Decca Blue on it. It's working well, except that its picking up extraneous hum and noise which I suspect is coming from the front motor as the cartridge tracks near to the top of it, and possible some from the electronics inside the deck. I have yet to check all the earthing, but am fearful that the cart. is picking up the hum field from the deck.

FR64- apparently John Wright at Audio Services uses one of these to set up and check his refurbished Deccas.

I use a FR64s with a C4E, and I should mention that this combination has an arm/cart resonance of around 4Hz. This has the effect of exaggerating the effects of warps on my system (but not rumble which is also supposedly affected by such a low resonance).

This incompatability could be limited to the c4e/sc4e/h4e carts, though, given their very high lateral compliance (30x10-6cm/Dyne) relative to the rest of the decca family.

My first choise with Deccas would beTerminator T3Pro from Trans-Fi Audio, as long as you can fit it to your TT.

My ESCo modified Denon DL-103 sounds sublime mounted next to my Garrard 401 :stereo: and I know that Decca would be even better.