Sign in to follow this  
gsrai

Monitor Audio - GR20's or SE20's

Tony - you should put together a MA20 upgrade kit together with detail instructions. Im sure there will be many takers,I for one. I have no problems opening up any kit with electronics, but speakers scare me.

btw, you mentioned once in a PM and now here to change out the wiring. I dont want to open a box of worms, but why would MA putinferior wiringin thier top model. And what kind of wire do other dealersuse. Im guessing probably the cable with the best synergy between the drivers. Its scary, but the thought comes to mind that people have been spending wads on expensive cables, while the internal cross over wiring could be shite...as it was the best sounding to the designer.:shock:

Chezi - Inspired by your avatar, I just demoed a Kasabian cd and bought it. Will try it out in the car later. (no stereo for me for a few months)

THe wiring insode the GR20's is silver plated multi stranded nasty QED? stuff badged Monitor. It certainly doesn't do the metal drivers any favour at all IMO

Its all down to cost nothing more.

I blew a few tweeters on the gr 20's they cost £28 retail, the main drivers were £58@vat I believe, they retail for £1500? in non fancy finish, I suspect they cost to make £350 max

The Cable inside my current speakers is the top tara-labs gear, $£$£$ stuff, its still getting replaced :D

RJD,

Dont feel so bad, it appiles to most manufacturers, the most expensive part on the dac 64 is the case £80-90 touch I reckon, and that costs maybe a max of £450 to build.

The Wadia 861 I reckon costs no more to make that $2200 remember in the US is retails for $6800 in basic form, and discounted to $5k new.

So don't feel too bad :D

RJdio wrote:

:off:You're a real heartbreaker Tony. Way too much info there mate. Maybe the rest of the funds was for R&D. I still like them though I may never look at them in the same way.

Why not get your own back by asking him how much his cables cost to 'build'?