Sign in to follow this  
browellm

Very expensive DACs

This is of course why I want to try lots for free :P

I think the transporter can definitely be bettered for absolute resolution...but as a computer audio boy...have u considered going back to a cd player? From a few years prattling about here Ive gone back to a FireWire interface, anything else via a pooter sounds pretty shite IMHO, USB still not doing it for me I'm afraid...my point being a complete change is a possibility..

Guest Sprockens

Off topic, but I have to ask. What is achieved by using valves in a DAC?

Guest Alex A

Added distortion ;)

Actually, you have to have either transistors or valves in the output stage. So it's pretty much the same as asking what you could achieve by having valves in a preamp.

Guest Alex A

I'd like to see a transport with valves in the signal path :D

Come the Noo Year I may well be looking for a fancy-shmansy DAC/CDP in the same sort of ££area, too.

Of the DACs I have owned, I would definitely look at Audio Synthesis DAX Decade or Desire, simply better. Alot of the above are good DACs, but major on detail over enjoyability or are overly warm to suit the cuddly valve sound that a lot of people like. I have yet to hear a better DAC for less than £10K than the Audio Synthesis ones, there may be one out there, but I have not heard it.

I had a DAX Decade for quite a while, but got bored with it - it isn't the most dynamically exciting DAC around, to say the least. To be honest, I went back to a leetle Beresford DAC with a sense of relief. But I had the RCA version of the Decade - the balanced/XLR is said to be better in that regard ...?

This may be well worth a demo. I'm planning a demo with Gregor at Ten Audio over the next couple of weeks. He's not too far away from you either.

$(KGrHqMOKjcE5mHoELCqBOfF1KIYSg~~60_3.JPG

Ooooo - let me know how it goes! :)

Looking at his eBay listing for it, there are just too many options offered - I wouldn't know which way to go. :(

I have a valved Marantz CDP from Gregor at TEN Audio at the moment - and VERY impressive it is too! :^

Seen the M1 DAC mentioned a couple of times. I was bloody impressed with mine, I use it with the Audiophelio USB - spdif convertor and it's a fantastic bit of kit. As smooth as the Isabellina but with all the detail and dynamics that was offered by the Young. I couldn't ask for more, the two together must be approaching the £900 i guess.

I've heard the Kondo Dac in an all Kondo system.....swapping dacs to a Weiss wasn't hugely different to my ears...to the point in an A/B switch i couldnt pick between em...

Im surprised, to me at least the difference was not subtle and the kondo dac just serves to highlight the weaknesses of all other dacs ive heard. Ive not listened to half of the dacs mentioned in this thread but like Richard, the weiss didnt really gel in my system. I suspect that those who use words like neutrality and uncoloured will find the Weiss exactly what they're looking for, it certainly has a lot of strengths but ultimately it wont suit everyone. Maybe as you mention, the firewire connection is where it perfoms best. I was using it with a transport on standard spdif.

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of the expensive AN dacs either, ive had the DAC4 sig here and for various reasons it wasnt something i could really live with. I know the law of diminishing returns has a huge effect but i didnt really think it warranted the massive price difference over my DAC1.0x

As a recommendation, i would say the new bricasti M1 is the way forward and to put my money where my mouth is...ive ordered one. I wont bother listing meaningless superlatives as thats pointless but i am a very much looking forward to it. Further, the designer has been excellent in responding to feedback, to the point of producing extra filters in an attempt to tailor the sound to suit (the dac is upgraded by flashing the firmware). This is one area where mr Weiss has been severly lacking, although i havent checked lately, he's had plenty of time to cook up some upgrades and seems reluctant to do so.

Best of luck with your search!

Im surprised, to me at least the difference was not subtle and the kondo dac just serves to highlight the weaknesses of all other dacs ive heard. Ive not listened to half of the dacs mentioned in this thread but like Richard, the weiss didnt really gel in my system. I suspect that those who use words like neutrality and uncoloured will find the Weiss exactly what they're looking for, it certainly has a lot of strengths but ultimately it wont suit everyone. Maybe as you mention, the firewire connection is where it perfoms best. I was using it with a transport on standard spdif.

What many people mean by "neutral" an "uncoloured" is, I suspect, that it just sounds grey and horrible and loses all sense of tonal colour. That's not "neutral" to my ears, because real music doesn't sound like that.

The Bricasti is supposed to be excellent but childishly, I'm not taken with

a) The looks

b) The fact my subconcious goes

whenever I hear the name.

This may be well worth a demo. I'm planning a demo with Gregor at Ten Audio over the next couple of weeks. He's not too far away from you either.

$(KGrHqMOKjcE5mHoELCqBOfF1KIYSg~~60_3.JPG

what's this? what's inside? it looks like tubed (lampized:)) chinese lampucera dac from ebay?

When i'm in the market for a better DAC i'll definitely be looking at Audio Note - perhaps the 3.1x and 4.1x/Sig.

Guest Sprockens
What many people mean by "neutral" an "uncoloured" is, I suspect, that it just sounds grey and horrible and loses all sense of tonal colour. That's not "neutral" to my ears, because real music doesn't sound like that.

A graphic equalizer must be nirvana to you then.