Sign in to follow this  
browellm

Very expensive DACs

There's a new Medea+ available now.....a snip at circa £14k.

Back down on planet earth, I can recommend the Weiss DAC202.

I've been told the Twisted Pear Audio kit dac's sound very good. A mate is currently building one, can't wait to hear it. It's also comparatively cheap.

I'd have a listen to the Vertex Aletheia

alethia front small.png

Good call. Very nice dac.

I'd have a listen to the Vertex Aletheia

alethia%20front%20small.png

Tell us a bit more then!

Mine. Or one a lot like it. Mine isn't for sale.

Would a multi-box DAC be a contender?

The Weiss Medea is the nicest unit I've heard. I rate the DAC2 and 202 highly as well. The Reimyo and Kondo units are also excellent.

One I can't wait to hear is the Meitner DAC.

I am at the chin stroking phase at the moment, sparked by a conversation I had with Rabski about whether there really is a single unbelievably wonderful DAC, or whether it's in the nature of digital that it achieves a high level of attainment, but at the expense of an absolute stand-out, because the state of the art has largely been achieved.

The Kondo I have only heard in the context of Definitive's systems, and while wonderful it is nearly £30k new and never comes up s/h so is way too expensive. It's also red book only.

There are loads of great suggestions here that I will try to investigate, some of which I have never heard of (not a problem). I don't have many criteria, I don't need an attenuator on it, but don't mind too much if it has one, although why pay for something you don't need, I suppose.

I would like to hear the DAX Discrete, and they are local, although again I would prefer s/h.

I would also like to hear the more costly AN DACs, again because I think they dare to be different, and I expect them to be wilfully non-hifi sounding.

Thanks for the offers to listen to one or two of these, I'll follow up with you individually.

I may ending doing nothing, the Modwright is sounding lovely, but I am curious how genuinely far you can go with digital.

I'm having wonderful results with an Audio Note kit that's been beefed up substantially ... it started as a essentially a 2.1x but has been to 3.1x Balanced spec including the big output transformers (the 3.1x Balanced is about £8k new). The 2.1x Signature is regarded as the sweet spot of the range and it's really lovely .. mine is possibly a smidgeon more detailed but their character is the same. All the AN DACs (like the Kondo) are red book only though. Worth a listen if musical expression without sacrifice of detail or atmosphere is your goal.

I've heard the Kondo Dac in an all Kondo system.....swapping dacs to a Weiss wasn't hugely different to my ears...to the point in an A/B switch i couldnt pick between em...The Kondo pre seems to add its signature sound regardless, which is why u bought it?

I think tbh Mark this adventure will prove to be a lot of potential dollar for not a lot of difference. Obviously only you can decide if the differences in digital are worth it..

I've heard the Kondo Dac in an all Kondo system.....swapping dacs to a Weiss wasn't hugely different to my ears...to the point in an A/B switch i couldnt pick between em...The Kondo pre seems to add its signature sound regardless, which is why u bought it?

I think tbh Mark this adventure will prove to be a lot of potential dollar for not a lot of difference. Obviously only you can decide if the differences in digital are worth it..

This is of course why I want to try lots for free :P

Guest User211

Tron Seven DAC, EAR DAC, AcousticPlan Digimaster.

I have owned DAX Discrete and DAX-2. They are good. Prefer the MF Tri-Vista TBH.

Get one that allows tube rolling and tune it to taste would be my serious recommendation. But you can do that with the Modwright anyway I guess.