DeCameron

Berlin opera houses

I've been to the Staatsoper Berlin but never the Komische. I'm going to hear Rigoletto there in two weeks. Anyone been?

Never been to either. The Komische sounds a bit funny ;) I did go to the Berlin Philharmonic Hall tho, back in 89, for a bruckner concert. Incredible. Would recommend a visit to that if you have time.

Pete, that is one of my life's ambitions. BPO are not on the weekend I'm there alas.

I am just watching the bpo and rattle playing borodin on sky arts :)

It is a stunning hall especially great for acoustics. However we made the mistake of sitting right behind the giant brass section - quite an experience with bruckner! That was an amazing history school trip, just as the wall was coming down. And it was so easy to get tickets then. Would love to go back

Does anyone else think rattle's hair looks like a sheep?

He wouldn't be safe in Slaithwaite! :shock:

The Komische turned out to be a great theatre, huge proscenium fronting onto a small round theatre, so just about every seat looks good. Rigoletto was top notch, the standard of singing and orchestral playing was way above anything Ive heard here apart from Covent Garden and ENO. Last night went to the Philharmonie to hear Petrenko conduct the Berlin RSO in Tchaikovsky. Spotted Linn speakers in the foyer! Ivor is a great salesman....

on a compleatly different tack?

i have just read a few aricles about davies hall somewhere and relatedaccoustic problems etc, and fixing them , makes you really wonder if we are really getting good recordings to start with, i have many times wondered , aboutstereo etc,, probablyy i likebig wide mono with good recording,.

lowendall

Not Berlin but didn't want to start a new thread. Got tickets for Ariadne auf Naxos at the Bavarian State Opera in Munich next weekend. Mid stalls which look ideal. Anyone been to this house?

Off to the Vienna State a Opera in October. The only night I can go, they're doing Ariadne auf Naxos- not that I mind but this will be the fourth time I've seen it. There's something spooky going on because when ever I manage to get to a city with a good opera house, it's playing.

I've seen it at Covent Garden, La Scala and The Bavarian State Opera. The first was the best.

The Komische sounds a bit funny ;)

From the original meaning of the word "comedy", referring to something more dramatic. The English meaning of something light and amusing is a later one. Another preservation of the original meaning is France's famous Comédie-Française.

Does anyone else think rattle's hair looks like a sheep?

Yes, I do too - and it's quite a put-off, despite my being a sheepshagger. When he's waving that stick around I half expect it to float off and have a life of its own. On the other hand, anything is better than Previn.

Christian Thieleman's desk at the Vienna State Opera- score of Ariadne auf Naxos open.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9au57k71n71neyb/image.jpg?dl=0

Off to the Bastille to hear Philipe Jordan conduct Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande in a few weeks. Going to try the front stalls this time.