SSM

Your Favourite Orchestras

Your Favourite Orchestras  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which are the top three orchestras whose recordings have consistently given you the greatest pleasure? Whose unique sound you have a weakness for? Please pick 3. There are 2 British, 4 Americans, 3 Germans and 1 Austrian here.

The polling system only allows ten choices so it is inevitable several other major players are left out. Wagner's Bayreuth Festival Orchestra:(, Suisse Romande, Kirov, Oslo, San Francisco, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, Bournemouth:lmao:, NewZealand Symphony Orchestra.:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

CheerSS

Meet Jammy and Duvet...

TweedleDeeTweedleDum.gif

The Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of the classical world.:roll:

twiddum.jpgtwiddee.jpg

Here are the costumes you two should rent for your visit to Covent Garden.:raoflmfao:

Seriously, you have missed out an absolute key player that would have got my no.1 choice - The Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, without doubt one of the finest orchestras in the world and has been for a very long time.:Upset:

:shock::shock::shock:Oh no! I had the feeling I was missing one big player. You are right MB. The Concertgebouw deserves to be listed there. :(

I can't edit the poll. Can the mods replace 'Bavarian Radio' with 'Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw'?:P

SS

solidstateman wrote:

Meet Jammy and Duvet...

TweedleDeeTweedleDum.gif

The Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of the classical world.:roll:

twiddum.jpgtwiddee.jpg

Here are the costumes you two should rent for your visit to Covent Garden.:raoflmfao:

:pint::pint::pint::pint::pint:

:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Duvet wrote:

I think I'm having a bad hair day in this classical section.icon_cry.gifCan the mods please delete this poll? Nobody but boozers read my messages anyway.:(:(:(

SS:?

solidstateman wrote:

Duvet wrote:

I think I'm having a bad hair day in this classical section.icon_cry.gifCan the mods please delete this poll? Nobody but boozers read my messages anyway.:(:(:(

SS:?

ahhhh...

boo booo..

:pint::pint::pint::wall::wall::bounce::bounce::bounce:

And just to cheer you up.. :force::force::force::rockin::bounce::bounce::shaggers:

The RNSO that was responsible for the main diet of my live classical consumption. This was purely due to opportunity. I have many recorded discs of Berlin, unfortunately the only time I got to visit the city the tickets were sold out well in advance.

Lately, some of the most memorable live events were performances by Youth Orchestras. This August the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland opener in Glasgow revealed an orchestra well fit to take on Europe's best. Elgar's Cello Concerto have many moments where things truly clicked but their Shostakovich 10 really rejuvenate our interest in live music.

I also have a favourable impression of the RSNO's prowess from their various Chandos recordings. It could be a world-class outfit if led by an outstanding conductor. As for the NYOS, though I have not heard them, I can believe your high assessment of them. With its Edinburg Festival and other perennial musical campaigns, Scotland seems to be a fertile spot for cultivating high-calibre performers.

Here is a tabulation of the orchestras who have made it to the scoreboard. Included are the two votes for the Concertgebouw by Musicbox and Griffo104.

Wiener Philharmoniker - 4

Berliner Philharmoniker - 4

London Symphony Orchestra - 3

The Concertgebouw - 2

Chicago Symphony Orchestra - 1

Dresden Staatskapelle - 1

London Philharmonic Orchestra - 1

Royal Scottish National Orchestra - 1

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - 1

Simon Park - 1

James Last - 1

Not surprisingly, in this collegiate of 5 voters, the VPO and BPO are the leaders with 4 votes each. Both orchestras have a huge legacy of fine recordings.

NB: This list shall be updated when additional voters weigh in.

Where is the Budapest Festival Orchestra? On the basis of an admittedly limited repertoire range, and with only Ivan Fischer as conductorI'd have them close to or at the top. And although the Philharmonia is not the orchestra that Legge founded, I believe it still cuts it in the London scene.