Hawk

Valve info

Tru dat.

OTOH, overkill is better than the opposite :D

For any rectifiers, as long as they test well, the early Mullards (the 'shouldered' shape) are robust as hell and hard to beat, but prices have climbed a lot. Phillips and Brimar are well regarded, though I have no experience of the former and most of my rectifier stocks are 1940s and 1950s so my experience is limited. Generally, avoid new production Chinese rectifiers is my gut feeling. They do some tubes very well indeed, but not all and you really don't want a rectifier to short internally.

A rare find ... found x2 pieces. Hoping for x2 more for my Cary SLP-05 🙏

2F0A4208-E7E9-49EC-A189-DBB327EC90AD.jpeg

Super Wammer

Ok, I seem to have accidentally bought a Border Patrol 300B SE amp circa 1999 age. What are the thoughts for 300B valves? It has WE300B in it but I have yet to be convinced they are still usable. 

A gradual awakening of the amp with a variac will not take place until I have checked it out because I would prefer to avoid the magic smoke due to the provenance being unknown. 

The amp itself is reassuringly heavy which indicates plenty iron in the output trannies. The Border Patrol power supply is even heavier. 

All parts are near indestructible. How long since it was last fired up? If less than a year just switch on (unless you know there's an issue).
Variacs and valve rectifiers don't really work smoothly, if you are truly concerned maybe an HV bench PSU to bring the B+ capacitors out of slumber?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh, and nice score

WE valves are better than others in my expensively broad ranging experience, especially when the circuit was designed for them as this was I believe. They last for yonks, and are probably near original spec. I can test (only a part of their curves) against my own NOS valves figures, if you can get them to London?

Super Wammer

This is the underside. 

11984FA0-35A7-4125-910B-33906EACB146.jpeg

• Like 1

So far so good. Only the electrolytics to worry about AFAICT. When was it last switched on?

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, Jazid said:

So far so good. Only the electrolytics to worry about AFAICT. When was it last switched on?

No idea when last used. It was an auction find. 

Super Wammer

Power supply. 

C2B05668-5A81-48D2-93B8-51AA10DE3ABC.jpeg

If they're 'real' WEs, they're robust. Far more so than most modern production. Assuming they're OK and assuming you're not planning on running it for masses of time, be happy with them. You won't find anything as good.

As for the rest, experience with Tel's monoblocks suggests there's actually little between them in reality. The JJs and EH Gold have a reasonable reputation for reliablity. Things like the Psvane WE replicas and Acme are plain daft money.

Nice amp that.

Super Wammer

I think they are ‘real’ WE. The glass on both is loose from the base (v slightly) so I will think about careful reattaching. image.thumb.jpg.b75224202bc4428110a99643373a2501.jpg

20 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

This is the underside. 

11984FA0-35A7-4125-910B-33906EACB146.jpeg

Word of caution.

In that pic, there seems to be a detatched wire. Right hand side output transformer. There looks like a purple (?) wire adjacent to the top right traffo mounting bolt. It doesn't look as though it's going anywhere, though it might be the angle.

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, rabski said:

Word of caution.

In that pic, there seems to be a detatched wire. Right hand side output transformer. There looks like a purple (?) wire adjacent to the top right traffo mounting bolt. It doesn't look as though it's going anywhere, though it might be the angle.

Thanks for looking. It’s an optical delusion and the wire is firmly attached to the tranny. 

• Upvote 1