Hawk

Valve info

11 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Good evening all! I've found this rather interesting site... Does anyone know about this? 

https://brimaruk.com/menugbvp/great-british-valve-project-2/

Interesting, looks like they are preparing to make their own valves. I think the ones that they have at the moment are re-branded Chinese/Russian sourced 

Any thoughts or knowledge out there on 6SN7 valves and possible drop in alternatives? Used in pre stage of an integrated amp and currently fitted with Brimars. I understand that these valves have medium gain, are there higher gain options?

39 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Any thoughts or knowledge out there on 6SN7 valves and possible drop in alternatives? Used in pre stage of an integrated amp and currently fitted with Brimars. I understand that these valves have medium gain, are there higher gain options?

As far as I know, it's one of the few without any real alternatives. In most circuits, 5692 will be OK, but it's far less common and unlikely to sound 'better'. Some sites suggest EL34 is a direct replacement, but it's by no means identical nor is the ECC32. The ideal grid bias is different and the heater current is higher. VT231 is the milspec 6SN7, but rare so costly. Some others are stated as replacements but arent, as they are not true double triodes, and have a common cathode.

No equivalents with different gain, but that would normally be very unlikely anyway. Lower gain is sometimes possible, but higher gain inevitably means changes to the circuit, not the valve type.

The good news is that there are almost endless flavours of 6SN7s around with different suffixes. So many that most are inconsistent in meaning. 6SN7GT should be a slightly better made version, but in most cases is probably the same. You can find 6SN7GTA, GTB, A, W, WGT, WGTA, WGTB and probably loads more.

There is a Russian direct equivalent, but my list doesn't show the right number for it and a web search is inconclusive (Google is not always your friend). I think it's 6n8s in Cyrilic, but don't take that as gospel.

As for what the different types sound like, I'm afraid I don't have a clue because I've never used them!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rabski said:

As far as I know, it's one of the few without any real alternatives. In most circuits, 5692 will be OK, but it's far less common and unlikely to sound 'better'. Some sites suggest EL34 is a direct replacement, but it's by no means identical nor is the ECC32. The ideal grid bias is different and the heater current is higher. VT231 is the milspec 6SN7, but rare so costly. Some others are stated as replacements but arent, as they are not true double triodes, and have a common cathode.

No equivalents with different gain, but that would normally be very unlikely anyway. Lower gain is sometimes possible, but higher gain inevitably means changes to the circuit, not the valve type.

The good news is that there are almost endless flavours of 6SN7s around with different suffixes. So many that most are inconsistent in meaning. 6SN7GT should be a slightly better made version, but in most cases is probably the same. You can find 6SN7GTA, GTB, A, W, WGT, WGTA, WGTB and probably loads more.

There is a Russian direct equivalent, but my list doesn't show the right number for it and a web search is inconclusive (Google is not always your friend). I think it's 6n8s in Cyrilic, but don't take that as gospel.

As for what the different types sound like, I'm afraid I don't have a clue because I've never used them!

Not the first time that you have shared your knowledge with me on a valve question. Very much appreciated, thank you 👍🏻

There are also the 13D2 and B65, either of which may be labelled CV1988 if ex-MOD, and all of which are electrically identical but rarer than the type...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I've just recently swapped the potbellyed SG 6SN7s in my IA MB845s for PsVanne CV181-T/2 (Black treasure) and very nice they are too. 

Not using the pair of SGs at the moment so happy to loan if you want to experiment. 

Replaced potbelly in photo. 

15584249655511262972117.jpg

Edited by Lurch

Super Wammer

Black treasure on left

1558425093811389129099.jpg

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I've just recently swapped the potbellyed SG 6SN7s in my IA MB845s for PsVanne CV181-T/2 (Black treasure) and very nice they are too. 

Not using the pair of SGs at the moment so happy to loan if you want to experiment. 

Replaced potbelly in photo.

John, I tried those pot belly Psvane 6SN7 but didn't really get on with them. I thought that the Black Treasure you mention are Shuguang CV181-Z?

My all time favourite 6SN7 is still the Psvane CV181 TII  (photo of one of mine attached). Your photo of the Icon Audio looks like one of the earlier Psvane CV181-T as opposed to the TII.

IMG_0530.thumb.jpg.7248c4a42aa7fc9e689f87c121f95a86.jpg

Super Wammer

Box says Psvane T2 so thats what I quoted, also Psvane printed on gold base, cant see if T or Tii, either way they sound better than the pot belly.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Box says Psvane T2 so thats what I quoted, also Psvane printed on gold base, cant see if T or Tii, either way they sound better than the pot belly.

I can see printed on the glass of your valves - "CV181 - T". The TII do sound better (IMHO). I might have a spare left over pair you can try but I will have to have a tidy up before I have any chance of finding them . . . . . . (the pair I photographed are old 'dud' ones).

I found more or less everything sounded better than the pot belly!

Edited by Fourlegs

Super Wammer

Cheers Nick, would definitely be interested in hearing the T2s. 

Posted (edited)

Re Brimar...

ATM they are all, re-branded valves. sourced from Sovtek, Shuguang, JJ.  There are no NOS left.

EL34s are Electro Harmonix

EL84s are Sovtek

SU4gb are Svetlana .

(From my friend Derek at Watford valves)

Hope, soon that we will see British produced valves...:stereo:

Edited by locheeboy

Mr Lampizator mentions the 6H8C here:b7b07e1cab92d5daaabc8147454606ec.jpg

Sent from my K3 using Tapatalk