Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Hawk

Valve info

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:15, paulkebab said:

I thought I had a 'cold' valve issue in my Vincent SV237 but it turned out to be something else. Nice to know you found a good replacement though.

Found an even better 12AX7- Gold Lion..... B'Jeepers they are good!:cool::geek:

If you're after really good 12AX7s that don't cost  an absolute fortune , try some NOS  JAN GE 5751s .  

A bit less gain than a 12AX7 [ECC 83]  but fully compatible, they're quiet and they sound superbly clean   & clear .

[The Philips ones you'll also se around aren't quite so good for Hi Fi applications, [they don't have the same extension/band width]  ...stick with the slightly more expensive GE ]

Super Wammer

I have a Modwright LS36.5 pre-amp which uses two 6H30 valves. I would like to purchase a spare pair as I don’t know how many hours the originals have been used for, though it sounds fine at the moment.

Watford Vlaves are advertising matched pairs but these are listed as 6H30 EB and I don’t know what the EB suffix stands for. Are these the same as each other?

Is anyone able to confirm one way or the other?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Richard A said:

I have a Modwright LS36.5 pre-amp which uses two 6H30 valves. I would like to purchase a spare pair as I don’t know how many hours the originals have been used for, though it sounds fine at the moment.

Watford Vlaves are advertising matched pairs but these are listed as 6H30 EB and I don’t know what the EB suffix stands for. Are these the same as each other?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have the same amp. I couldn't tell much from Watford Valves either.

I use the HotRox UK website as when you order a pair, they are matched.

These are the EH 6H30Pi valves. I think they sell the Sovtek ones, but I opted for the 'Gold' Electro Harmonix ones. Electro-Harmonix is to Sovtek what Lexus is to Toyota in that they're the same company with an upper-tier brand line.

Just so you know, the life of an 6H30Pi valve is between 5000-10000 hours. My pre-amp is on usually at least 8 hours per day, so I can basically get 2 good years before I even think about needing to replace them.

That said, if the tube pairing you have in the preamp weren't matched at the outset, it won't sound its best. 

It's 56 quid from HotRox for a matched pair of the EH 6H30Pi 'Gold', including tracked shipping.

Super Wammer

Thanks very much Metatron. That’s very useful. I will take a look at the Hotrox site. I have also emailed Watford and asked the same question. I will pass on the response if it is helpful.

Its a great pre-amp!

Super Wammer

i bought all my modwright valves through hotrox 

Super Wammer

Thanks Phil. I have just ordered a matched pair of the EH as suggested by Metatron.

• Like 1

FWIW , Watford Valves probably understand valve performance and match them better than anyone.

Most valve suppliers these days cater mostly for the guitar amp market... where some slightly  different criteria may apply :D

Watford Valves take valves for Hi Fi applications just as seriously and can be trusted to give very good expert advice and  recommendations.

They also stock just about  everything that's in current  production or can still  be sourced as NOS .

[I don't have any connection with them...other than as a very satisfied customer over very many  years]

Edited by Smokestack

Super Wammer
On 11/02/2019 at 16:10, hifinutt said:

i bought all my modwright valves through hotrox 

I can attest for HotRox giving a good service and also being very good with matching pairs etc. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 15:48, Richard A said:

Thanks.

I ordered matched pair of Sovtek 6H30 EB from Watford Valves for my LS36.5. They arrived today and on the box is written 6H30PI. No idea what is EB.

Super Wammer

Hi Tautvilas. They told me EB was better quality but didn’t elucidate more.

1 hour ago, Richard A said:

Hi Tautvilas. They told me EB was better quality but didn’t elucidate more.

I ordered EB ones, but received standard ones, exactly the same as from Modwright factory. 

Screenshot_20190215-211940_Gallery.jpg

Super Wammer

Ok, seems a little odd that they weren’t more open about what they were selling.

th?id=OIP.q3JHi6mN29ovTQ2v6WX2PAHaHa&pid

These are the Electro-Harmonix version of the 6H30PI. Are these what you were expecting? The Sovteks you have should be the same valve without the gold plating. The Electro-Harmonix valves are made by Sovtek for the American musical instrument and equipment brand.

Watford Valves list the Electro-Harmonix PI at £30 and the Sovtek PI at £22 each.

Edited by soileduk
Clarity