john.stone

West of Scotland, 9th of October.

John,

I'll bring a Amp to try with your ATC's, never heard a pair before and always wanted to, i'll not bother with my C.D. player, too much heavy lifting up and down stairs in not good for my back.

good man, no stairs at this end though, straight in off the street.

What CD player is it that weighs so much anyway?

I'm looking good for this although may have to scoot off a little before kicking out time (8pm).

My most obviously portable kit is a DAC and maybe an SS integrated (hello Alan) but I do have other things that could maybe be brought to fill a gap?

good man, no stairs at this end though, straight in off the street.

What CD player is it that weighs so much anyway?

John, it's the Toshiba SD900e, not so much the weight as it entails dimantling it from my rig (which i hate doing when things are working fine)and hoofing up and down 2 flight of stairs down before another flight up to street level,not funny when you've a arthritic hip, but i'll get a taste of a outboard DAC when i'm there.

Hi John,

Sorry its a bit last minute but cant make it tomorrow mate, summit's come up last minute and I cant put it off.

Thanks very much for the invitation, hope it goes as good as you hope!

thanks

Gaz.

SO how was it? I had to endure my brother's kids instead.

Mine are so much nicer, thank goodness.

SO how was it? I had to endure my brother's kids instead.

Mine are so much nicer, thank goodness.

It was a good day, well for me anyway. Some of the kit was only getting unboxed or installed on the rack this week and it was good to get it up and running. There's still some way to go with tweaking and getting that system synergy sorted. I also need a decent phono stage and would like to do something with regards a better CD transport too.

Snapper and I sorted the cart/arm alignment on the VPI and spent a bit of time cleaning records which helped no end on the vinyl front.

We also had a go with Cameron's laptop into the Young DAC and that sounded very good.

Rest of the chat was about music, forums, fine wine and cheap hookers.

There's a plan in the offing for another sometime soon, perhaps early in the new year and include an overnight in there too so folks can travel, have a few drinks and chill.

SO how was it?

Absolutely wonderful, John's a great host.

Bacon butties on arrival, afternoon tea with choccie biscuits, then a big plate of chilli with rice and pitta washed down with some beer for dinner.

Thanks again, John, looking forward to the next get together.

ATB

snapper

Thanks John for hosting the bake off.

A good day out and well worth the trip over.

Having a few beers, putting the HiFi world to rights and listening your way through other peoples music collections is a fine way to spend a Sunday.