psychochicken

Philip Glass

Hi,

I've recently discovered Philip Glass. I somehow always had him categorised as a bit 'avant garde' for me, but as is so often the case when you actually hear the music, it's not what you thought. I am a painter, and my tutor had Akhnaten playing in the studio and I found it marvellous to work to. In fact I named the piece I was working on at the time after a line from Akhnaten.

I've since picked up Akhnaten and a 'best of' on CD and I like what I hear, although not so keen on the stuff that sounds a bit 80's synth....

Any recommendations of recordings/pieces that I should check out?

Thanks!

Neil

My own choices would be the Qatsi trilogy (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi - the movies are good with them too), Music From The Screens (with Foday Musa Suso), the violin concerto (I have Kremer's version, although they say the Telarc recording with McDuffie is excellent). Symphony #2 is also a favourite of mine.

His music played by Uakti (Aguas da Amazonia) is lovely.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

Cheers! The 'essential' is actually the compilation CD I bought, and I have booked tickets to see Koyaanisqatsi being shown with the score performed live by the Philip Glass Ensemble at the Edinburgh festival - looking forward to that!

I will check out the symphony 2 and violin concerto.

Cheers! The 'essential' is actually the compilation CD I bought, and I have booked tickets to see Koyaanisqatsi being shown with the score performed live by the Philip Glass Ensemble at the Edinburgh festival - looking forward to that!

I will check out the symphony 2 and violin concerto.

Excellent! I saw this a few years ago in London. Have you not booked Powaq and Naqoj (they are on the two following evenings I think). Great experience.

Excellent! I saw this a few years ago in London. Have you not booked Powaq and Naqoj (they are on the two following evenings I think). Great experience.

Doing all three was going to work out kind of expensive and I really struggle with Edinburgh during the festival (it's absolutely mobbed), so I thought I'd just do the one.

Fair comment. (You'll kick yourself down the line!) :)

I'm a big Philip Glass fan - like Mr chicken the first Glass piece I heard was Akhnaten on a BBC R3 broadcast. I was bowled over.

I then saw it live at the English National Opera in London. Awesome!

Sadly, the CBS/Sony recording is taken rather faster and loses some of the mesmeric flow that I heard live. But the recording is still damn good!

Why don't they bring it out on DVD-Video? :x

Ironically it's the pace that makes it so good to paint to. I was looking at Satyagara (?) but concensus seems to be that the available recording is really poor?

Try this

51GTRHFBP7L._SS500_.jpg

You're lucky with Akhnaten. It was only released on CD a couple of years ago, my prior listenting had been limited to cassette.

Nah, I got the double CBS CD way back in 1987!! ;-)

It's been re-released since then in the Sony midrange line I think.

Nah, I got the double CBS CD way back in 1987!! ;-)

It's been re-released since then in the Sony midrange line I think.

I did struggle to find it actually. I ended up on eBay where I got a lovely box set with libretto for not much cash. I've since seen it in a slimline case but mine's nicer :)