Guest batman

sorry to say , i would rather lose my hearing than to one of his cd,s

just that advert on,t telly is enough to make me throw things

batman wrote:

sorry to say , i would rather lose my hearing than to one of his cd,s

just that advert on,t telly is enough to make me throw things

I tend to agree with you batman, Jamie Cullum :nup:

RJdio

feel you are going to bevery muchalone in your appreciation of young Jamie.

Does nowt for me

owns up....

Opening track hooked me. I'm waytoo uncool to bepermitted to by a single...:lwink: so, I bought a copy of the album. Quite like bits of it actually - not a fan of some of the jazz standards, but there are some interesting songs, including a Doves cover.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Jamie Cullum, though. however there's a great song on the album about a break up in which the girl apparently calls Mr Cullum a "stupid twat" so it can't be all bad...

Guest batman

kennyk wrote:

owns up....

Opening track hooked me. I'm waytoo uncool to bepermitted to by a single...:lwink: so, I bought a copy of the album. Quite like bits of it actually - not a fan of some of the jazz standards, but there are some interesting songs, including a Doves cover.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Jamie Cullum, though. however there's a great song on the album about a break up in which the girl apparently calls Mr Cullum a "stupid twat" so it can't be all bad...

what doves cover ?,,,,,, fu**ing sacrilage...

Catch him by the fecking neck more like it. Cheeky young bugger

If I don't like the artist being discussed in a thread, I tend not to post. However, I will make an exception for Mr Cullum. He makes my stomach churn every time I have the misfortune to see or hear him.

Sorry RJdio.:?

Wow - never knew there was so much discontent over him. He did play for the queen... well his cd (twenthsomething) as least was well recordrd and some of the tunes cathcy and different from the usual jazz standards. hmm so why the bias over in the uk ?

RJdio wrote:

Wow - never knew there was so much discontent over him. He did play for the queen... well his cd (twenthsomething) as least was well recordrd and some of the tunes cathcy and different from the usual jazz standards. hmm so why the bias over in the uk ?

Cullum's covers of popular music can be quite good, his version of Buckley' 'Lover, You Should Have Come Over' is actually very, very good and the principal reason I bought the album.

Regrettably I feel the album was much overhyped, particularly by the 'establishment' - ie those who have been around the light entertainment industry in the UK a long time like Michael Parkinson, Terry Wogan et all. I'd bet that a fair number of sales of that album were by non-regular buyers of popular music because of his very well managed publicity and the fact that the album was marketed as being quite 'cool'.

Cullum is a talented performer though his own compositons are the weaker part of his ability and this is clearly demonstrated on his recordings IMHO. You can only go so far in covering what could be classified as 'standards' and although he does a reasonable job I think many people are simply jaundiced by the overexposure of his style which could be seen as dated.

Perhaps he arrived at a time where the industry was flat and needed something new, he's served that purpose and people have moved on.

20 Something was an average album which overachieved. The man has talent but myself and others probably think he could benefit from a little creativity and originality. Just think he could do so much better rather than the 'safe' covers of standards and the hotel lift music. Not asking him to turn into a rock god or rap king but one would have thought a more modern jazz would give him some outlets or indeed working with a good contemporary songwriter. He is such a young man to commit his career to covering Frank Sinatraand re-working music byKahn & Cole Porter.

RJdio wrote:

Wow - never knew there was so much discontent over him. He did play for the queen... well his cd (twenthsomething) at least was well recorded and some of the tunes catchy and different from the usual jazz standards.

Jamie Cullum is a perfect example of the sort of music bought by people who don't really like music very much. They buy things like Coldplay and James Blunt and Katie Melua. Bland,inoffensive sort of stuff.

That is whystuff like Cullumcomes in for'stick'.