Sign in to follow this  
Testure

Little bit more money helps

Mr Coherent wrote:

Well prehaps you should hear one James and make your own mind up :)

One day soon I will Tony:D

Guest purplepleaser

Photoshop and a computer are wonderful things .Oh and so Is my little system IMO(wonderful i mean):D

lee

That first one with all the books is really impressive.

My "listening room" is my bedroom and it's so small I usually just lie on my bed and listen.

Guest purplepleaser

As long as you enjoy it,thats what counts:D

Lee

Miller-8 wrote:

That first one with all the books is really impressive.

they are vinyl i think you'll find miller-8!

Two very impressive-looking rooms, with two very different (from an acoustical POV) approaches to their design. The first is an acoustical tour de force - to such an extent that you can forgive the ridiculous power cables. The second is simpler (although, i'm sure, of good effect) and far more approachable. Obviously, both systems are high-value, but there are interesting factors that both systems share, that (a) cost little in monetary terms, and (b) have a positive impact on system performance.

First you'll notice that there is nothing between the loudspeakers (the ground-level amp placement is irrelevant), and correspondingly, nothing between the loudspeakers and the listening position. This isn't for looks - everything thus placed (notwithstanding acoustical treatments) is almost universally injurious (sonically speaking). Which is worse?. Well, it really depends on 'what' is thus placed. A large TV between the speakers is a tragic acoustical choice, whereas an equipment rack less so. Equally, a hard-surface coffee table between the loudspeakers and the listening position is a tragic acoustical choice, but a softer-surfaced alternative marginally less so. Of course, it is all relative (what, where, etc).

Secondly you'll notice that precedence is given to system layout over room function (this includes listening position placement). OK, so these are dedicated rooms, and few of us have that luxury. However, even in a mulit-functional 'living' room, a system can take precedence over other functions. Mine certainly does - the layout of my living/listening room is dictated by the placement of my loudspeakers. It isn't a dedicated listening room, but I have done what I can do to maximise performance. Again it is all relative, though - to function, to aesthetics, to the considerations of the other members of your family. But, whilst it is indeed relative, so then is system performance - the more you compromise the room, and the application of the system therein, the more you compromise system performance.