Bourney

Zu Druids

a pair been hanging around the classifieds for a few weeks now. My Blue Driver Audionote E plan fell through as they sold before i got the money together, so, considering other higher efficiency speakers has me looking at the Zu sellers' pretty pictures again. I love the visuals, they look great but no idea of their character except nearly all reviews suggest that they are not particularly fat in the bass - which isnt a major problem for me, i prefer bass to flow and a nice sort of bounce rather than having aditional bloom ( i like the bass on Neat Mystiques as an ideal in weight and speed in my room - also Audionote Js bottom end worked really well), i dont like a cold mechanical sounding bass though..so, some warmth wouldn't go amiss. Amp would be a the Leben 300 which can be quite a driven sounding amp with the right speakers I believe.

The only single driver type speakers i have heard a few time are the Horn Zheruka things that were on here and it wasnt my kind of sound as they sounded very direct but oddly trimmed top and bottom. So if that is how these are they would be completely not suitable.

I know there are a few users on here (cant remember who mind!) and i guess a few of you have heard them properly at some point?

I get the feeling they maybe a bit `marmite'. i have read up quite a but but mainly online reviews - which i dont generally trust. can anyone give me some peronsal expereince of them?

Ask technobear steve as he has had a pair a for a few years.

Have only heard them briefly round chris and thought they sounded very good and totally different to the zhorns.

The zhorns are one of the nicest i have heard on easy music but got confused when things started to rock out a bit more.

Shame you can't get to chris's for a listen.

had some at home for audition for a few days, and they featured at a bakeoff shortly afterwards (with the permission of the suppliers!). Yes a bit marmite, but if you love lively, mid biased, open expressive speakers then you should hear them. They don't measure well and you can hear the imbalance if you listen for it, but some people love this character and on any expressive music they add fun and bounce and a sense of presence that few others can match. The Leben will power them well too tho I'm not sure if they have a wierd impedance curve that might upset it? The luxman was fine.

Guest paskinn

Hang on for a pair of blue cone Es? I have a pair of E spe hes, which I only use occasionally (now into horns) but they are a fabulous speaker.Which is why I don't sell them ...but they do come up and are worth waiting for, I think. I have a Leben 600, which, again, I use occasionally. I know people suggest very low watts are all that is needed with Audionotes, but I find they really like about 20 watts of good valve power. At 12 watts a pair of horns are a better bet...or upgrade to the 600Leben (I love it because it is so 'Japanese' in the very best way.)

A few years ago I owned a pair of ZU Druids for approx 14months.

Excellent speakers in my opinion.

Fast, clean and detailed sound, but not bright (if you like that sort of thing);

Very easy to position;

Setting the 'correct' gap height at the bottom can be a little pain, but once sorted fine. This influence the bass side of things.

Pretty much anything will drive them.

Notice that the pair up for sale has the mundorf upgrade which is a very worthwhile upgrade and costs 'extra'.

steve have you been tempted by those lovely

mordaunt short 6s on sale on the wam,

leben not enough to drive them though.

a pair been hanging around the classifieds for a few weeks now. My Blue Driver Audionote E plan fell through as they sold before i got the money together, so, considering other higher efficiency speakers has me looking at the Zu sellers' pretty pictures again. I love the visuals, they look great but no idea of their character except nearly all reviews suggest that they are not particularly fat in the bass - which isnt a major problem for me, i prefer bass to flow and a nice sort of bounce rather than having aditional bloom ( i like the bass on Neat Mystiques as an ideal in weight and speed in my room - also Audionote Js bottom end worked really well), i dont like a cold mechanical sounding bass though..so, some warmth wouldn't go amiss. Amp would be a the Leben 300 which can be quite a driven sounding amp with the right speakers I believe.

The only single driver type speakers i have heard a few time are the Horn Zheruka things that were on here and it wasnt my kind of sound as they sounded very direct but oddly trimmed top and bottom. So if that is how these are they would be completely not suitable.

I know there are a few users on here (cant remember who mind!) and i guess a few of you have heard them properly at some point?

I get the feeling they maybe a bit `marmite'. i have read up quite a but but mainly online reviews - which i dont generally trust. can anyone give me some peronsal expereince of them?

Hi Steve I am about to put my Zingali Overture 3s up for sale.They would be an excellent match for your Leben amplifier.Please PM if interested.

The Zus are fast fast fast fast...

Love em...they're on my list of "must own one day" speakers

If you like rock and jazz (proper jazz, mind - with saxophones that take your ears off, just like they do in real life) then they'll do it for you.

If you think music should be visceral, immediate, exciting they could be just up your street. If you think of music as a warm, comforting place as a haven from life's pressures, then look elsewhere.

Hang on for a pair of blue cone Es? I have a pair of E spe hes, which I only use occasionally (now into horns) but they are a fabulous speaker.Which is why I don't sell them ...but they do come up and are worth waiting for, I think. I have a Leben 600, which, again, I use occasionally. I know people suggest very low watts are all that is needed with Audionotes, but I find they really like about 20 watts of good valve power. At 12 watts a pair of horns are a better bet...or upgrade to the 600Leben (I love it because it is so 'Japanese' in the very best way.)

Not sure I agree with about the power requirements of ANE HE (Blue hemp cones). I went from 300B PSE at aprox 18wpc down to 2A3 PSE at 7wpc and my ANE HE Se are even better with the much lower powered 2A3 valves.

Mind you my room is not very big, but it was Mario at the shows demonstartes with that Vindicator amp at 4wpc or his Meishu at what 8wpc into ANEs without power problems, so I suppose it is down to what floats your boat and room size.

Guest paskinn
Not sure I agree with about the power requirements of ANE HE (Blue hemp cones). I went from 300B PSE at aprox 18wpc down to 2A3 PSE at 7wpc and my ANE HE Se are even better with the much lower powered 2A3 valves.

Mind you my room is not very big, but it was Mario at the shows demonstartes with that Vindicator amp at 4wpc or his Meishu at what 8wpc into ANEs without power problems, so I suppose it is down to what floats your boat and room size.

Well, this is always a bit of a puzzle. I find that the E's driven by 2a3s 'struggle' a bit...and that is about 8 watts or so. Perhaps it is room size (althpough mine is small), favoured listening levels, type of music...whatever. But you can work out some things...a four watt amp will produce about 98db (at one metre) from the SPE HEs (claimed to be 98db but really 92.5db..measured by Stereophile.) You may find that enough...but it allows very little headroom, and the valves will work pretty hard.I find that a combination of 100db sensitivity (true, not 'claimed') works ideally with four watts upwards. Although I am using a 2 watt Px45 single ended amp right now. In general the golden rule is to have too much power, not too little (like cars, or most other things in life,). I think there will never be agreement on this topic...a familiar conclusion in hi fi!

Replacing HL5s with a pair of Zus is like trading an E series Mercedes for a Lada... :doh:

Replacing HL5s with a pair of Zus is like trading an E series Mercedes for a Lada... :doh:

You're a Lada.

I have continued to read up on these but I think after hearing a pair of old tannoys this week, that will be the direction I will take. I have also had a very kind offer to dem some zingalis in my own system..which I knew nothing about this brand but they look fliipin stunning!these may also be suitable for my amp and room, so I am trying to find more info on these. Thanks for the comments on the Zus chaps. :^

I have continued to read up on these but I think after hearing a pair of old tannoys this week, that will be the direction I will take. I have also had a very kind offer to dem some zingalis in my own system..which I knew nothing about this brand but they look fliipin stunning!these may also be suitable for my amp and room, so I am trying to find more info on these. Thanks for the comments on the Zus chaps. :^

There isn't a great deal on the web Steve but rest assured if you are going to dem some Zingalis you won't be disappointed. They make beautiful music.